AMEX SPG Personal & Biz 35k 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

AMEX SPG Personal & Biz 35k 2017

Per Reddit:
Amex SPG 35k:
Limited Time Offer – Earn up to 35,000 bonus Starpoints® – offer ends 4/5/2017† Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months† and an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months†

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...35k_new_offer/

AMEX SPG Business 35k:
Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months and an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after you make an additional $3,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. Offer ends 4/5/2017.†

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...5k_10k_for_3k/
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
http://apply.americanexpress.com/spgamexcard35k/

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Personal card offer terms:

Up to 35,000 Starpoints
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product. To be eligible to earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints®, you must use The Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card to make $3,000 in eligible purchases by the end of your first 3 months of Card Membership, starting from the date of your Card approval. To be eligible to earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints (for a total of 35,000 bonus Starpoints), you must use the Card to make an additional $2,000 in eligible purchases (for a total of $5,000 in eligible purchases) by the end of your first 6 months of Card Membership, starting from the date of your Card approval. Bonus points will appear on your Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after you reach the spend threshold. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers (balance transfers are not available on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card), cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer. In rare instances, your period to make $3,000 in purchases may be shorter than 3 months, and your period to make $2,000 in purchases (for a total of $5,000) may be shorter than 6 months, respectively, if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the respective period to earn a bonus in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). If your application is not received by 4/5/2017, you will not be eligible for the 25,000 bonus Starpoints, or for the 10,000 bonus Starpoints, even if your application is approved. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

Instant Account
If approved for an instant account number, you will receive a temporary line of credit with a minimum amount of $1,000 for use at Starwood websites. Once you receive and activate your Card, you will have access to your full line of credit for use anywhere the Card is accepted.

Basic Card Annual Fee
The introductory annual fee for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card will be $0 for the first year of Card Membership. After that, the annual fee will be $95.
Business card offer terms:
Up to 35,000 Starpoints

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product. To be eligible to earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints®, you must use The Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases by the end of your first 3 months of Card Membership, starting from the date of your Card approval. To be eligible to earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints (for a total of 35,000 bonus Starpoints), you must use the Card to make an additional $3,000 in eligible purchases (for a total of $8,000 in eligible purchases) by the end of your first 6 months of Card Membership, starting from the date of your Card approval. Bonus points will appear on your Starwood Preferred Guest statement 8-12 weeks after you reach the spend threshold. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers (balance transfers are not available on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card), cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer. In rare instances, your period to make $5,000 in purchases may be shorter than 3 months, and your period to make $3,000 in purchases (for a total of $8,000) may be shorter than 6 months, respectively, if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the respective period to earn a bonus in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). If your application is not received by 04/05/2017, you will not be eligible for the 25,000 bonus Starpoints, or for the 10,000 bonus Starpoints, even if your application is approved. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

Instant Account Number
If approved for an instant account number, you will receive a temporary line of credit with a minimum amount of $1,000 for use at Starwood websites. Once you receive and activate your Card, you will have access to your full line of credit for use anywhere the Card is accepted.

Annual Fee
The introductory annual fee for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card will be $0 for the first year of Card Membership. After that, the annual fee will be $95.

Last edited by mia; Feb 16, 2017 at 6:00 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:05 pm

What are the chances that AmEx will match the extra 10K offer for a card approved mid-December?

I've only had my personal SPG AmEx approx. 7-8 weeks and I've already put $9,620 on the card. I hit my signup bonus only last month.

The current offer extends the bonus to a additional 10K with 2K spend in 6 months. I've already hit that spend in month two.

I called AmEx yesterday evening and spoke with a helpful rep who opened and escalated a case for me. I'm told that I should receive a response shortly. I've had similar scenarios with Chase on past offers, and they've always been extremely gracious in matching offers and extending opportunities for additional point earnings. I've no experience or relationship with American Express, so I'm kind of feeling around in the dark and I just wanted to get some input from longtime card members.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OliverB

I called AmEx yesterday evening and spoke with a helpful rep who opened and escalated a case for me. I'm told that I should receive a response shortly. I've had similar scenarios with Chase on past offers, and they've always been extremely gracious in matching offers and extending opportunities for additional point earnings. I've no experience or relationship with American Express, so I'm kind of feeling around in the dark and I just wanted to get some input from longtime card members.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
It doesn't always work, but the general advise is:
1) Call and ask for a supervisor
2) Express your disappointment about your lower sign-up offer
3) Ask for courtesy points
4) Rinse and repeat until you get an agent who'll add points to your account immediately.

The opening case/getting back to you shortly pretty much never works, and it's just used by agents to get you to hang up.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:41 pm

Thanks so much, I just called and spoke to a very helpful supervisor named Alex who promised to extend the offer. I actually spoke with a super the other day who told me that he couldn't personally make any adjustments on my account because it supposedly had to go through a separate department who makes these decisions. I just called again, based on your response, and the super that I spoke with this time basically reiterated the same thing, although he promised to personally monitor the case and told me that he would deposit the extra 10K Starpoints by Monday, if a decision hadn't already been reached by then... so thanks again!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:02 pm
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
To apply or not?

Last applied for and received SPG “Small Business” card in April 2008. Cancelled card sometime before April 2009. Long enough for a lifetime?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
There was a 35K for $2K (?) offer a while ago. Any chance of that coming back or is 35K/$5K likely the best they'll offer?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:16 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ned
Last applied for and received SPG “Small Business” card in April 2008. Cancelled card sometime before April 2009. Long enough for a lifetime?
I read somewhere that you can check the "lifetime" through online chat. Ask the chat agent what prior cards you had. If it doesn't appear on your prior card list, it's probably off AMEX's records.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:46 pm

Does anyone know if purchasing AGCs from the Amex website counts towards min spend?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Does anyone know if purchasing AGCs from the Amex website counts towards min spend?
Did you not read the T&Cs? It says "cash equivalents" do not earn points. Isn't an Amex Gift Card on the Amex website the most obvious cash equivalent to Amex???

Ie, if you want to buy gift cards and have it earn points (let alone count toward minimum spend), you should "disguise it", such as buying it at grocery store on the same checkout as you buy something else.

While buying the from Amex directly has worked for some, it's not guarantee (given the T&Cs), so why tempt fate?

In any case, there's are general threads on the subject. This one is newer:
This one is from over half a year ago:

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 17, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:28 pm

I have seen that in the T&Cs. However there have been conflicting reports on whether it is enforced or not.

Thanks for the links, but I have already seen them.

Guess I am paying my 4k tax bill with my new SPG card when it arrives.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:28 pm

I have a few questions concerning eligibility towards elite status:

Are all Amex SPG accounts subject to full year end audit/review or does elite status recognition work similarly to the automated process with signup rewards with regards to crossing the min. spend threshold?

I'm only 2 months into a new account with approx. 17K in total purchases but also a 7.5K balance transfer. Would this definitely get filtered out of my annual "eligible" spend towards Gold or Plat?

Also, is "year end" total based on date of card approval or when your SPG acct cycles (I think March 1st?) and how do the programs sync so that one doesn't hit reset before the other with regard to status?

Last edited by OliverB; Feb 18, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Earn SPG® Gold Status
If during any calendar year, Eligible Purchases on your Card account are $30,000 or more, you (the Basic Card Member) will be enrolled for at least twelve months in the Gold Preferred level of the Starwood Preferred Guest® loyalty program (unless you are already enrolled in an equivalent or higher level). Starwood associates excluded. Please allow 12-16 weeks after your Eligible Purchases equal or exceed such amount for the applicable year for enrollment to become effective.

Eligible Purchases means purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.
Calendar year means January 1 to December 31, you application, approval or other dates are irrelevant. If you transferred a balance from another card to this card that isn't spending.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by mia
Calendar year means January 1 to December 31, you application, approval or other dates are irrelevant. If you transferred a balance from another card to this card that isn't spending.
Thanks Mia,

I understand that a balance transfer obviously isn't eligible spend, however I'm specifically inquiring about the process that AmEx follows in order to determine eligible spend; hence my asking about account audits. For min. spend to hit signup bonus, it's my understanding that AmEx uses a rather antiquated system whereby only the "qualifying" transaction which pushes ones account above the min. threshold is recognized by their system, thus overlooking all earlier transactions; eligible or otherwise (i.e. ms and returns included). Now to be clear, I'm not looking for backdoors to exploit AmEx's policies; I'd simply like to know whether their elite status eligibility codes in a similar way to their signup bonus spend. I imagine that full annual audits and personal reviews of every SPG cardholder's account to determine "eligible" spend would be an insanely inefficient process and surely not worth their time or expense. I would have assumed that each transaction is somehow coded to reflect the kind of qualifying activity that might push one's account over the minimum threshold in order to achieve elite status, however I've learned from other members on this forum that this does not seem to be the way that AmEx operates with regards to minimum spend for signup offers; which should reasonably follow a similar process as elite status recognition.

Last edited by OliverB; Feb 19, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I have a question. I understand that the signup bonus offer is not available to anyone who has had this card before.

I had the Canadian version of the Amex SPG card many moons ago (2009 perhaps). Does that count as a separate product or is it considered part of the same product line? The card was closed in 2010 or thereabouts.

I subsequently moved and live in the US and was looking at this card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.