Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Initial Hard Credit Pull for Existing Amex Cardholders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Initial Hard Credit Pull for Existing Amex Cardholders?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Delta Plat Business on Thursday.

I was logged in.
There was no hard pull. In fact main reports are locked due to shenanigans someone pulled with the unemployment office.
jiaogulan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Drewm33
In my experience, whether I am logged in to my account when I apply is the determining factor on whether there is a HP or not.

Initial amex app - HP
phone app- hp
logged into my account for biz or personal - no hp

I am assuming if you apply for Mercedes plat or Schwab plat or Ameriprise gold/plat then you aren’t logged into your Amex account during the application, hence the hp
Once you cancel your Amex account, you still have access to your Amexonline account for 6 months. If during that 6-month window, you apply for a card via their site, will there be an HP?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Once you cancel your Amex account, you still have access to your Amexonline account for 6 months. If during that 6-month window, you apply for a card via their site, will there be an HP?
Maybe.

Ie, in all cases, it's YMMV as to whether you'll get an HP or not. The chance of not getting an HP is never 100%. The chance of not getting an HP simply increases with an Amex relationship, but does not increase all the way up to 100%.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Got an AMEX PRGold card in January 2018 with no hard pull. I know because I have all 3 bureaus frozen, and they approved me very quickly and easily. I've been a card holder with AMEX since 2005 and in good standing, but I do not think that puts me in some minority.

I also got the old AMEX Hilton Surpass in September 2017 without a hard pull.

AMEX did hard pull Experian in April 2017 for my SPG card.

Lastly, they did hard pull Experian in January 2017 for my Delta Platinum.

Not sure if a policy change occurred recently for this, or if I reached a "threshold" of sorts causing my last 2 to be approved without HPs, or maybe a combination of the two?
Tonight I logged into my AMEX account and applied for the Delta Gold Business card. Got an automatic approval with no hard pull. First business card with AMEX, but 4th AMEX credit card open now (pretty sure they lump personal and business credit cards together when assessing a limit on credit cards they'll let you have open concurrently, with charge cards being totally separate).

Makes up for the debacle that is known as trying to get ANY kind of Bank of America card if you're a card hoarder like most of us.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jiaogulan
Tonight I logged into my AMEX account and applied for the Delta Gold Business card. Got an automatic approval with no hard pull.
Similar. Applied today for personal DL Platinum while logged into my account. No hard pull. Application page said up at the top that I was "Pre-Approved" before I submitted.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post AmEX USA - credit check question on personal & business cards

(duplicate)

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Mar 9, 2023 at 4:15 pm
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
In my 20+ years with Amex I have only had 1 hard pull over a dozen+ personal & biz (not corporate) cards. Of course in the application you do agree to authorizing a hard pull but Amex very rarely does these and rather uses an internal ranking system for cardholders. That scoring is based on spending & payment history with Amex, credit report soft pull data and current economic factors including those impacting your employment industry.
I find Amex Biz card approvals to be far easier than other banks for existing cardholders.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, DL Gold, UA Gold
I only got an HP when I was applying amex the first time (Amex Gold)
No HP for all cards applied after that. (Aspire, Plat, Biz Cash)
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Lllyh
I only got an HP when I was applying amex the first time (Amex Gold)
No HP for all cards applied after that. (Aspire, Plat, Biz Cash)
The predominance of anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere suggests that Amex does not usually hard pull for additional cards, but they occasionally might and the application agreement allows them to do so. It does look like most of the time, they don’t.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
(duplicate - updated my question below)

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Mar 10, 2023 at 9:52 am
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:18 pm

Post US AmEx Card - applying for 2nd Personal card - questions

There seems to be a lot published on the Web about the US AmEx policy of (apparently) not doing a hard credit check for people that already have an existing credit card account with AX directly. But depending on where you look, Ive come across wording that says they dont pull the credit if you are denied, but do pull the hard credit if you are approved.... so in the end, it seems like you will have to take a hard inquiry if you in fact get approved for a 2nd card - despite already having an open account with them.

Some additional background. I recently moved to the US and had to restart building my personal credit. Have had a US personal Platinum card for 20 months now and the AX website is suggesting I maximize my rewards by combining another card. Im looking into the Blue Cash Preferred Card as I think that a Credit Card that informs an actual credit line (rather than a another charge card) would be better for my current US credit profile. Ive had to open various new credit accounts over the past months (credit cards, car lease, business credit cards with personal credit pull) so Im being somewhat stingy with my new hard pulls to try to protect my score..... hence my question about how this supposed non-hard pull actually works for AmEx users here in the States.

I would also love to get the Gold Card because of the Bonus MR offer and the statement credits.... but not sure that AX would allow me to combine both cards with my existing Personal Platinum - and of course there would be the issue of another potential hard credit check for this other card.

Am I reading this correctly....?

Sorry for the long post/question and thanks for any insights you all can provide.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Mar 9, 2023 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
In my experience, Amex did do a hard pull on my credit profile for my first couple of Amex cards. Note that this was decades ago.

Now that I have had 14 Amex cards (not all still open), Amex does not hard pull my credit profile anymore. YMMV of course.
Gaucho100K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:40 pm

Apologies for this somewhat pedantic reply, but you may apply and receive a new Amex card with no hard check whatsoever. On the other hand, the new account will appear on your credit report once it is opened, so it will be no secret to other creditors that you have a new card.

In my understanding credit card users are too concerned with managing hard pulls. If your credit is good, adding a few hard credit checks to open your history will not make a material impact on your credit.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by doublemazaa
Apologies for this somewhat pedantic reply, but you may apply and receive a new Amex card with no hard check whatsoever. On the other hand, the new account will appear on your credit report once it is opened, so it will be no secret to other creditors that you have a new card.

In my understanding credit card users are too concerned with managing hard pulls. If your credit is good, adding a few hard credit checks to open your history will not make a material impact on your credit.
Thanks... your reply is very informative and did not come across as pedantic. This is not about keeping any secrets, but given that I have more hard pulls that would be optimal - I am trying to keep them as few and far apart as possible... perhaps Im looking too much into this and I need to relax. My credit isnt stellar, but it isnt terrible - the not very reliable free scores that the banks give you all show scores that average 760.

It is very helpful to know that you can/may actually receive new AX cards with no hard check - this is what appears to be posted by various sources on different websites and social media platforms (authored by apparent credit repair/counsel experts). I do take a lot of what I read with a healthy dose of salt - and I guess a lot of whats out there is in no way guaranteed to happen. The devil is in the details and every case is different.

Greatly appreciate the feedback from everyone - and would value getting more data points, tips & experiences that others may care to share.

Many Thanks,
Alex / Gaucho100K
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:05 pm

Post applying for more than 1 suggested card at the same time?

Follow up question. Has anybody attempted to apply for more than 1 of the cards that AmEx suggests you pair with your existing personal card...? I currently only have 1 (one) AmEx product in the US, so if I would go ahead and apply for both the Blue Cash Preferred and the Gold Card I would still be under the maximum 4 card limit that seems to be the norm.

Thanks,
Gaucho100K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.