Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Identity Protection Team

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Amex Identity Protection Team

I received a letter from the Amex Identity Protection Team re my biz plat card that I got a few months ago via a conventional link. I've spent the 15k organically and received bonus. But have not tested to see if points are frozen.

Anyhow the letter says:
"We're writing to you because we're required to get some additional information that we may not have on file about your business. We've tried to reach you by phone but have been unsuccessful. We have a specialized team available to assist you. Please call us at your earliest convenience at 1 866 648 6163. Thank you for your card membership. We look forward to continuing to serve your business."
(I haven't received any phone calls from them or if they called they did not leave a message. The only phone number I've given them is a cell).

What the ?? Must I call? Is this just a ploy for them to try to sell me services? Should I xfer my points out (if they're not frozen) and get the heck out of Dodge??
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GoGreen
I received a letter from the Amex Identity Protection Team re my biz plat card that I got a few months ago via a conventional link. I've spent the 15k organically and received bonus. But have not tested to see if points are frozen.

Anyhow the letter says:
"We're writing to you because we're required to get some additional information that we may not have on file about your business. We've tried to reach you by phone but have been unsuccessful. We have a specialized team available to assist you. Please call us at your earliest convenience at 1 866 648 6163. Thank you for your card membership. We look forward to continuing to serve your business."
(I haven't received any phone calls from them or if they called they did not leave a message. The only phone number I've given them is a cell).

What the ?? Must I call? Is this just a ploy for them to try to sell me services? Should I xfer my points out (if they're not frozen) and get the heck out of Dodge??
Amex often calls new business card account holders to ask if the business is engaged in money services or related industries. I got the call once, and there were just 4 quick questions.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:46 pm

I recently received the same letter in the mail for my SPG card and am a bit concerned.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I recently received the same letter in the mail for my SPG card and am a bit concerned.
What exactly is the concern? Just answer the questions about your business truthfully.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
was it sole proprietorship?
Old May 8, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
What exactly is the concern? Just answer the questions about your business truthfully.
I don't want the headache of a financial review, I've heard the horror stories.

Originally Posted by happyvoid
was it sole proprietorship?
Yes, I've had the card for about 3 years but recently increased "spending" for an upcoming trip.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I don't want the headache of a financial review, I've heard the horror stories.
What are the horror stories involving FR's? Virtually all of the ones I remember are situations where the information provided on the credit card application is nowhere near what's supported by tax returns.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe I'm just not with the times, but how do I spend 'organically'?
Old May 8, 2018, 12:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
.... how do I spend 'organically'?
You buy goods and services, rather than manufacturing spend by purchasing gift cards or similar which are converted back into money.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh, I though it was about buying groceries that weren't sprayed with chemicals.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It's all chemicals...particular the chemtrails used to convince people that organic means no chemicals

Oh, I though it was about buying groceries that weren't sprayed with chemicals.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: Target
This is happening to me with a regular AMEX Everyday Card. What usually triggers This? I've only had the card 3 days.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any update to the outcomes of this letter?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska, AA
yeah what is the outcome with the letter?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'm just not with the times, but how do I spend 'organically'?
"Developing in a gradual or natural fashion. "
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/organic

vs artificial / contrived (manufactured)

edit - in the US, the term seems to be used obsessively these days, business, arts, etc

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 22, 2018 at 9:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.