Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: *void
I spoke/wrote too soon in my post above.

The Aeroplan Plus Platinum (AeroPlat) has just increased from 40K to 50K welcome bonus. Only an extra 1K if referred, for 51K.

As I'd mentioned, it does go up and down every few months.

Big change though is the minimum spending requirement is now $3,000. For years it had been $1,000. This marks the highest spending requirement for an Amex-Canada Personal card product, if I'm not mistaken. Personal Gold MR and Plat MR cards are still at $1,500 and $1,000.

I think it was crimsona who predicted that this would happen eventually, but for the Plat MR, after seeing the Gold MR increase from $500 to $1,500. I can see the handwriting on the wall now, for the Personal Plat MR to also increase from $1,000 to $3,000.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
not sure when the new change kicks in

but looks like AMEX SPG Personal will also go from $500 to $1500 spending (like AMEX Personal Gold card)
Now I see it being $1500 but when I applied on 1.1.2017 it was only $500 spent requirement. Which one do I follow, I was good for $500. Any one has the old GCR page that says $500 still. I always do that but this time, copied application only. Would appreciate the old page if available for my discussions if needed.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Now I see it being $1500 but when I applied on 1.1.2017 it was only $500 spent requirement. Which one do I follow, I was good for $500. Any one has the old GCR page that says $500 still. I always do that but this time, copied application only. Would appreciate the old page if available for my discussions if needed.
Send Amex a secure message and ask them to confirm what your minimum spend requirement is....you may not need to gather the "proof".Better to hear it from the horses mouth,before the 3 months are up.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:38 am

Looking for something like this?
GCR Amex SPG Page

I don't know how useful that would be but it can't hurt to have it handy.

IMHO, I think Amex will have a record of the terms in their systems, but not all front line Amex reps will know the details of the "when & what". But once they do an investigation into your file and dig deeper, they should be able to offer you the points after just $500 spending. I know, a lot of people thing there's not much difference between $500 and $1500, but it adds up in the chase for more points at a feverish-pace.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:58 am

Send secure message, spend 500, see if points post.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AMEX, Aeroplan, SPG, Marriot
How long does it take SPG points to post after you cross the $500 spend?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by lunagirl
How long does it take SPG points to post after you cross the $500 spend?
Should show on the next statement cycle date
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:13 pm

Been reading on other sites that the Amex referral points are,once again,not posting the day after application approval....and may be taking the up to 10 weeks(as per terms)to post.

What a shame for those that accept financial incentives for using someones referral link.Get ready for the "but I haven't received my referral points yet" excuse for non-payment.

......gonna be a lot of upset punters over at another sites thread LOL!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
Send Amex a secure message and ask them to confirm what your minimum spend requirement is....you may not need to gather the "proof".Better to hear it from the horses mouth,before the 3 months are up.
Agree with jubberly.... you dont want to run into Mrs GHT's scenario where she patiently waited for the points to come, that never came and then having AMEX agents accusing her for not following up, wrong T&C and any types of excuses they can deflect on.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Time to cancel my Plat before $699 renewal. Now $0 balance

Is there an AMEX phone line cancellation option? I recall reading it somewhere (option 7? or 9?) and tried calling but couldn't find it
Figure that'd be the safest way to cancel (automated) , over call-in, then over online message, in case of 2nd $200 credit crawl-back
after reading others' posts i found secure emailing them that you want to cancel the card is the best way. no pressure, sales bla bla bla talk
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:28 pm

I thank you all.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:52 pm

Been reading on other sites that the Amex referral points are,once again,not posting the day after application approval....and may be taking the up to 10 weeks(as per terms)to post.

What a shame for those that accept financial incentives for using someones referral link.Get ready for the "but I haven't received my referral points yet" excuse for non-payment.

......gonna be a lot of upset punters over at another sites thread LOL!
AMEX have always had possible delays in Referral OR Welcome bonuses
It's not new, nor is it related to any $ (if any). There isn't much anyone can do about it

If one wants to do a "trade" deal, he/she better find someone reputable, like everything online

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
after reading others' posts i found secure emailing them that you want to cancel the card is the best way. no pressure, sales bla bla bla talk
Online agents will say they'll forward the request to back office to cancel, and that may lead to "detailed review" and possible withdrawl of $200
Happened to me last year (online cancel after the $699 renewal fee posted, they only gave me back $499)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: LH Sen
Hi Fters,

has anyone had an issue with getting a pro-rated refunded amount of the annual fee upon cancellation of their amex card AFTER receiving the sign up bonus? A few years ago, I had the AMEX Personal Plat, received the MR signup bonus, and then upon cancellation was given a pro-rated amount of the annual fee given the I had only had the card for a few months.

This time around with the AeroplanPlus Reserve, they are denying the same request. Just wondering if this is a new policy? Or a specific response to my "activities"? Or did I just get lucky with my previous PersonalPlat?

EDIT: Just googled, pro-rated annual fee refunds and found some stuff saying AMEX changed their policy last year to NO pro-rated annual fee refunds. Oh well, the churn must go on!

Last edited by msat; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by msat
Hi Fters,

has anyone had an issue with getting a pro-rated refunded amount of the annual fee upon cancellation of their amex card AFTER receiving the sign up bonus? A few years ago, I had the AMEX Personal Plat, received the MR signup bonus, and then upon cancellation was given a pro-rated amount of the annual fee given the I had only had the card for a few months.

This time around with the AeroplanPlus Reserve, they are denying the same request. Just wondering if this is a new policy? Or a specific response to my "activities"? Or did I just get lucky with my previous PersonalPlat?

EDIT: Just googled, pro-rated annual fee refunds and found some stuff saying AMEX changed their policy last year to NO pro-rated annual fee refunds. Oh well, the churn must go on!
For the 2nd year's annual fee...I've read that they will refund,if the fee was charged within the 1st month(some have had success within 2 months). YMMV
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by msat
Hi Fters,

For the 2nd year's annual fee...I've read that they will refund,if the fee was charged within the 1st month(some have had success within 2 months). YMMV
I haven't read of any Canadian Amex applicants who got the welcome bonus and then cancelled to get a refund on a non-FYF card, such as the Platinum MR ($699), Biz Platinum MR ($399), SPG cards ($120/$150), not at a public thread, anyways.

So, msat, you're the first I've case I've read 'above ground', to have success with doing so, but how long ago was this? And this is for the Canadian Amex cards, right? Because I've seen success stories from Amex USA, not Amex Canada.

I know you were asking about the first year's fee, charged at the opening of the card, but since you got a response related to the 2nd year's annual fee, I'll chime in. I think Amex USA has 30 days refund policy, while in Canada it's 60 days. In my case, I got a refund after about the 40th day after the fee posted, this was back in 2014. I was waiting for a missing referral to post to my Airmiles Plat account, but it was delayed. It appeared a statement later, and then I waited for the points to post to Airmiles. Waited a bit a bit more and then decided to cancel the card with full refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.