Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
I applied for the Amex Biz Platinum (first Platinum app) mid November. The referral points posted right away.

I merged MR accounts a few days BEFORE I met my minimum spend in early January.

This is my first time having to wait for my welcome bonus. Sigh.

Anway, I'm not sure it's got anything to do with my timing, but this generally works like clockwork for me. FYI.
Hey NJD,

As this is a Biz Platinum, and your first to boot, did you call Amex to ask about the missing points?

The general rule of thumb lately is to NOT call Amex when churning the Personal Gold, Personal Plat and Personal SPG cards, otherwise you run the risk of them recognizing it's a churn and disabling the repeat welcome points.

This is not your case, as the no-churn notes don't apply to the Biz cards (in spite of what a rep might suggest), and it's your first ever of this card, so you should call to enquire.

Not sure if it's coincidental or not, but I've never called to merge my MR account until the signup points have poured in, and lately I've been waiting till I cancel before requesting a move/merge with another MR account.

Hope your points come thru soon.
JJJ
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:37 pm

Airport Club Program

Thanks for the info, but is there not one additional lounge group for Business Platinum holders - "Airport Club Program"?

For Airport Club Program lounges it appears you need to have a ticket that matches the airline's lounge. See the Travel section under the Business card and its corresponding footnote #4 in this link:
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...d2&card=card13

"The Business Platinum Card member must present his or her valid Business Platinum Card, government-issued I.D., and qualified airline ticket to airport club lounge agents. Complimentary access is specifically for the airport club lounge that corresponds to the airline operating the flight..."

It could be a mistake on the amex text, as at this link it implies it's limited to Delta Sky Club https://smallbusiness.americanexpres...ravel-benefits

A list of lounges can be viewed in this link https://secure.cmax.americanexpress....CP_English.pdf
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
For people who are wondering about the lounge access benefits of the Amex Personal Platinum and the Amex Business Platinum cards.

Both Personal and Business versions give you and a guest free access to these lounges:

The Plaza Premium lounges - http://www.plaza-network.com
These are located in various airports in these countries:
Hong Kong, Australia, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, China, India, Malaysia, Maldives, Oman, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Taipei, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom.

The American Express lounges - http://thecenturionlounge.com/
There are a handful of lounges in USA and some Internationally.
DFW-Dallas
IAH-Houston
LAS-Las Vegas
LGA-New York
MIA-Miami
SEA-Seattle
SFO-San Francisco

At this writing there are also ten International Amex lounges, in 4 countries:
http://thecenturionlounge.com/international/
BOM-Mumbai, India
DEL-Delhi, India
EZE-Buenos Aires, Argentina
MEX-Mexico City, Mexico (2 here, Domestic and International terminals)
MTY-Monterrey, Mexico (2 here, Terminals A & B)
SYD-Sydney, Australia
TLC-Toluca, Mexico

Both cards also give you free access to the Servisair Executive Lounges and free access to the Delta Sky Club Lounges, but I don't have a list of these locations.

The difference between Personal Platinum and Business Platinum lounges?

Both give you a free membership to the Priority Pass Lounges - http://www.prioritypass.com

The Personal Platinum gives you and a guest free access to ALL of the member lounges in this network of lounges.

The Business Platinum card REQUIRES you to pay US$27 per visit, no free guests.
This is a significant drop off in the number of lounges that you can access for FREE!

The Priority Pass has over 1000+ membership lounges. Surprisingly though, NONE at Tokyo HND, but yes at NRT!

Note: this does not pertain to the Amex Aeroplan Plus Platinum (AeroPlat) card's lounge access - the AeroPlat card gives you free access the the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges (MLL) only.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bob04619
It could be a mistake on the amex text, as at this link it implies it's limited to Delta Sky Club
Any reference to American Airlines (including US Airways), or United Airlines (including Continental Airlines) lounges is obsolete because those agreements with American Express ended. The rules for access to those lounges now apply only to Delta airlines simply because there is NO access to AA or UA lounges.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If I don't manage the 5k/3month spend on the business plat but book a fully refundable plane ticket and then cancel it a few months (weeks?days?) later that shouldn't cause points to be clawed back, correct?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
If I don't manage the 5k/3month spend on the business plat but book a fully refundable plane ticket and then cancel it a few months (weeks?days?) later that shouldn't cause points to be clawed back, correct?
​​​​​​​We used to think that way, but have found out from recent experience that refunds applied to a card to drop it back below the required sending will result in a clawback of the welcome points. If you then spend to go back over the threshold and it's still within 90 days then the welcome bonus points will re-appear.

OTOH, if you actually do eventually spend the $5000 beyond the 90 days, and then get the refund, then it's possible that you may be able to keep those points, as there were data points that suggested this in the past, but haven't seen any recent data points.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jan 28, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:10 am

from my RFD thread
How To Reach $500-$5000 minimum spending?
- GIFT CARDS: Gas/Grocery/Pharmacy/Electronic/Amazon
- Pre-pay your bills (Phone/Internet/Utilities/whatever)
- Insurance bills (home & auto) <- this is a big one usually
- Worst case, use Plastiq.ca to pay things you couldn't pay with AMEX (like property tax, CRA, etc...) for about 2% fee
- or PayPal yourself/friends (2.5% fee?)
I met my $5K in a month by paying Property tax bills (Plastiq is 2% until 2/28)
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:35 am

Just make sure that,before you obtain the refund,you have made up the refundable amount with additional purchases.....then,no claw back of the welcome points(if done within the spend requirement period)....and perhaps,if done after the spend requirement period.

Edit:From what I have read,in the US, Amex may do a review and claw back the points if you do this after the spend requirement period,but I have not read of any data points of this happening in Canada.I did this with my Business Gold,after the spend period and after I made the additional purchases for the refunded amount(not intentionally...I really had to cancel a refundable hotel reservation after I obtained enough SPG points to book a far nicer, Sheraton hotel for the same period!) No claw back for me.

Last edited by jubberly; Jan 28, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Hey NJD,

As this is a Biz Platinum, and your first to boot, did you call Amex to ask about the missing points?

The general rule of thumb lately is to NOT call Amex when churning the Personal Gold, Personal Plat and Personal SPG cards, otherwise you run the risk of them recognizing it's a churn and disabling the repeat welcome points.

This is not your case, as the no-churn notes don't apply to the Biz cards (in spite of what a rep might suggest), and it's your first ever of this card, so you should call to enquire.

Not sure if it's coincidental or not, but I've never called to merge my MR account until the signup points have poured in, and lately I've been waiting till I cancel before requesting a move/merge with another MR account.

Hope your points come thru soon.
JJJ
I did private message and was told eight to ten weeks.

I merged accounts to transfer to Alaska Miles (via SPG to Marriott Travel Package). I was impatient and didn't need the points from my minimum spend effort date. Should have thought it through better. And I still have the other card open.

DOH is right.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I'll elaborate a bit:

I wasn't planning on refunding it within the 3 month period, more something like make the purchase 2 months in, wait until I get welcome points and refund the purchase 6 months in. If that's considered as possibly clawback-able I might just cancel my car insurance for 40 bucks and re-purchase it for a year in advance right away, that's the easiest way for me probably.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:34 pm

I'll elaborate a bit:

I wasn't planning on refunding it within the 3 month period, more something like make the purchase 2 months in, wait until I get welcome points and refund the purchase 6 months in. If that's considered as possibly clawback-able I might just cancel my car insurance for 40 bucks and re-purchase it for a year in advance right away, that's the easiest way for me probably.
Previously, i purchased two flexible Air Canada tickets for December in May. It was about three grand and on the last day to make my minimum spend on the Amex Biz. I cancelled the fare in September but made up the replacement $3k prior.

Worked like a charm. And I'd consider it again.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
Previously, i purchased two flexible Air Canada tickets for December in May. It was about three grand and on the last day to make my minimum spend on the Amex Biz. I cancelled the fare in September but made up the replacement $3k prior.

Worked like a charm. And I'd consider it again.
Beautiful work, NJD!
And that's the recent datapoint we have been looking for! ^

Smiley90, there's your answer...should work, if you plan to eventually make up that refunding amount. But, if you don't want to take the chance, the $40 'tax' on breaking the monthly insurance payments is also a good option.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
It's been a while since I've been on this forum but I'm seeing posts referencing 24 months to get the welcome bonus where I seem to recall when the "one bonus per lifetime" came out it was said to be 4 years.
Can anybody shed some light on this?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Cruban
It's been a while since I've been on this forum but I'm seeing posts referencing 24 months to get the welcome bonus where I seem to recall when the "one bonus per lifetime" came out it was said to be 4 years.
There have indeed been a smattering of reports recently, that a rep mentioned 24 months, but there's nothing I can see in any of the footnotes to indicate this.

The reality is that most people seem to be able to continue to churn and get the welcome bonuses again for the Personal cards (Gold MR, Plat MR, SPG, Airmiles), where these notes exist. Whereas the Business cards still do not mention the same once-per-lifetime notes.

However, people who contact Amex to ask questions about missing welcome (and self-referring) points will be TOLD they will not get the points, and may be given the "24 months" answer. So, don't call Amex until you've waited it out (8-10 weeks), if you don't get the points right away after meeting the spending requirements.

I don't remember seeing any mentioning of 4 years, btw.

JJJ

Last edited by JJonahJ; Feb 1, 2017 at 9:28 am
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Thanks. Will give it a shot and report back.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Cruban
They do not appear to be enforcing this.I recently received welcome points,immediately after meeting minimum spend,as a multiple repeat cardholder.

The "tip" to getting them again seems to be to NOT include any MR cards on the application page(as an existing card) and to NOT ask for the MR # to be merged with an existing one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.