Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:14 pm

Anyone have luck being reimbursed for drinks purchased in a United Club?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Stoopid question: has anyone tried buying a United Vacations gift card? It's a long shot, but not a lot of alternatives at the minute...
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
Stoopid question: has anyone tried buying a United Vacations gift card? It's a long shot, but not a lot of alternatives at the minute...
switch to AA and get two $100 gc. can probably get $85 each in cash from a friend or family member, or a stranger in the internet.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Microwave
quick search of this thread resulted in only one hit - your post. And United Vacation is not actually operated by United, so my guess would be that the merchant would not be a match for Amex’ algorithm.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Quick question, I only fly united and is a global service. So technically I don't have issues with things like incidentals. If I switch to delta or southwest for Amex credit next yr, can I still get 35% back if I use MR points to redeem for United airfare? The 35% back doesn't have anything to do with the selected airline right?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by twkidM3
...If I switch to delta or southwest for Amex credit next yr, can I still get 35% back if I use MR points to redeem for United airfare? ...
No, the same airline choice applies to the Airline Fee Reimbursement, and the Business Platinum pay-with-points refund for economy class tickets. The points refund applies to Business and First class tickets on all airlines.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by mia
No, the same airline choice applies to the Airline Fee Reimbursement, and the Business Platinum pay-with-points refund for economy class tickets. The points refund applies to Business and First class tickets on all airlines.
Ahh crap. Thought the 35% refund didn't matter which airline.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
First I'm hearing of a 35% off bonus is this if you pay by membership miles? Don't want to take away from the thread, but since it's been raised I'm curious… I have a personal platinum card
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
.... I have a personal platinum card
Benefit introduced in 2015. USA Business Centurion and Platinum only:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...35-refund.html
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As an update, still no problem getting UA mileage redeposit fees credited on my AMEX Plat when calling in. Can't imagine it's different with PRG.

Originally Posted by niravbm
Does anyone know if United award cancellation (redeposit) fees are eligible for the airline credit with PRG?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:55 pm

I put $159/169 Econ+ upgrades from award tickets on my Platinum + Gold card (one each) on 10/7. Still no reimbursement on either.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by rkho
I put $159/169 Econ+ upgrades from award tickets on my Platinum + Gold card (one each) on 10/7. Still no reimbursement on either.
If you don't get the credits applied to your statement and decide to call AMEX to ask for them to process the credits manually, make sure you do not refer to the purchases as "upgrades". Refer to the purchases as seat assignment fees.
jeepie and rkho like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:01 pm

I also had two $100+ economy plus upgrade posted to my card. 10/6 in my case. Neither has been reimbursed yet. On the online statement, it shows "Preferred seat upgrade" as the document type under the ticket number and other passenger info. I'll give it until Friday before I call in to ask about it.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If you don't get the credits applied to your statement and decide to call AMEX to ask for them to process the credits manually, make sure you do not refer to the purchases as "upgrades". Refer to the purchases as seat assignment fees.
Turns out I didn't need this to happen! Both credits posted today 🎉
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I had a change fee where the credit posted automatically after a few days ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.