Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AmEx Platinum marketing: sexist, stupid, or something else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Platinum marketing: sexist, stupid, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Stephanie Vickers Cameron
My boyfriend and I both make 6 figure salaries and own a home together. We have similar credit scores (mine is higher!). I went through card match and was “pre-qualified” for the AmEx 100k offer. When I clicked through they said it was no longer available. I still went through with the application and was approved for the platinum card. I travel so much more than my boyfriend and hie flies on my companion pass for Southwest. A couple of weeks after they told me the 100k offer wasn’t available, he received one by mail. This makes me livid, and seeing that that the Centurion lounges are mostly patronized by males hasn’t impressed me either. They need to get with the times that females make more of the financial decisions than males. Seems like pretty sexist marketing to me! #callingoutamex
I recently took early retirement from a 6 figure income job to run for elected office. I have a small business which has earned a good income over the years, I have no debt and a nice portfolio of investments and my credit score is 800 plus. My wife has not worked outside our home or business in many years. Her only earned income is a small salary for a local elected board that she ran for when I moved up. She has an additional Platinum card on my account and is an authorized user on most of my other cards.

Hardly a week goes by that she doesn't get some targeted offer with a nice bonus offer while i am lucky if I get pre-approved for a Pre-payed Visa gift card. I could get upset or I could just laugh about it, they say laughing makes you live longer. Maybe If I live long enough I will get an offer for a Centurion.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar
There is so much to decompress here.
Personally, I too have an issue with the proportion of men in Centurion lounges. As a straight guy, there's almost nobody to chat up!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Personally, I too have an issue with the proportion of men in Centurion lounges. As a straight guy, there's almost nobody to chat up!
No women for straight guys to chat up? AMEX must be heterophobic. Those .......s!
krazykanuck and Gasolin like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No women for straight guys to chat up? AMEX must be heterophobic. Those .......s!
Slightly off topic to the quotes post, but I have tried in the United Polaris lounges when flying overseas and gone down flaming.......
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by runb4fun
dude it's just algorithm. algorithm can be faulty. it is not know all see all thing. how you can label that as sexist is beyond me.
I agree for the algorithm, but you have to acknowledge that every algorithm out there is based on human experience and convictions. So it's very possible that the algorithm was designed to better suit men, who knows.

It's a bit like face recognition software that seem to work better with a certain type of men only because the algorithm was designed that way, etc... it's just a machine, anything can happen.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Don’t worry, ladies. This “privileged white male” hasn’t gotten a 100k Platinum offer either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.