Wiki Posts
Search

AUS Amex Points and AEROPLAN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX
AUS Amex Points and AEROPLAN

Hi , I am interested in booking 2 x Business Class One-Way tickets on Air Canada from Sydney to Vancouver for next year by transferring my American Express Points to Aeroplan.

I am very confused at the points required and the process.

From the chart on "Miles" required it looks to me like 80,000 per ticket. And if 1000 Amex points equals 1000 Aeroplan Miles, is it as simple as transfering 160,000 points from my Australian American Express Account into my newly created Aeroplan Account, log into Aeroplan and book the flights with a cash component for taxes????

This seems like a really great deal, and the old saying if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Every version of Memberships Rewards has its own transfer partners and redemption rates. I think the chart for cards issued in Australia is here:

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.c...eller_partners

...and Aeroplan is not listed. Which chart are you reading?

You should still be able to use Membership Rewards point for an Air Canada flight. Transfer to another Star Alliance program (Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines, or Thai) and redeem for a partner award. However, be sure to research not only the number of miles/points that each program requires, but also the cash co-payments. Do not transfer until you have verified that award seats are available for your specific dates.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:02 pm

You also should note that J redemptions on AC ex syd are hard to come by.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX
Thankyou to the people who have replied to my question so far.

This is the chart I had previously referred to;

https://www4.aeroplan.com/static/pdf...s-Chart-en.pdf

And yes I am really concerned about moving a stack of Amex Points to Aeroplan and not being able to book a J Flight as I needed.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
That chart shows the number of Aeroplan miles required for a redemption, but where do you see that you are able to move points from Membership Rewards (Australia) to Aeroplan?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Ermo_Boy
And if 1000 Amex points equals 1000 Aeroplan Miles, is it as simple as transfering 160,000 points from my Australian American Express Account into my newly created Aeroplan Account, log into Aeroplan and book the flights with a cash component for taxes????

This seems like a really great deal, and the old saying if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't.
Aeroplan is not an Amex AU transfer option.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:50 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
It can't be done.

The best you're going to get is Qantas or Virgin Australia to Los Angeles. And you're going to have to win the race to snaffle the only two seats they make available the day they make them available, probably 330 days out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.