Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer from MR rewards to Payback now possible (Amex Germany)

Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:51 am
gum
Original Poster

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold

Until yet the two programmes American Express Membership Rewards and Payback were completely separate.

Today I got an advertisement that it is now possible to transfer
Membership Rewards Points to Payback with the rate of 2 MR points = 1 Payback point.

This would enable the following opportunities:
1.) For the first time there is an indirect transfer opportunity from Amex MR Reward via Payback to Lufthansa Miles & More.

Should be 2 MR points -> 1 Payback point -> 1 Lufthansa award mile

2.) Holders of the Amex credit cards (from Blue, Green, Gold, Platinum up to Centurion) could use their points for all Payback awards. Also for the "payout option".

Although this would be good news for some card holders I am a bit skeptic:

Lufthansa awards need a very high amount of award miles and with origin Germany have a hefty price tag in view of taxes & surcharges (more than 230 Euro for a return from MUC to LHR in Business Class or >80 Euro for a one-way intra Germany Economy Class).

Why should someone at first collect the valuable MR points with an Amex Credit Card and then transfer with a low rate.

If the American Express Payback Card offers the best collect ratio with 1 Euro = 1 Payback point (instead of the normal Amex 1 Euro = 1 MR point = 0,5 Payback points).

Summarization:
If someone wants to have some existing MR Reward points "paid out" in form of Payback points this is a great new feature. ^

For collection of new points an additional Amex Payback Card respectively the split between the normal Amex and the Payback Card would be better. The Amex Payback never incurs a yearly fee therefore users should have both. And has double speed compared to the transfer option.

You can continue to "double collect" respectively "stack" if you user the Payback collecting card without payment function at their outlets and pay with the Amex Card. As previusly you can collect on both worlds without having to transfer something.

My questions are:
1.) Do you think this is a great new feature?
2.) Did I oversee something?

Hope you can use this news.

Best regards

GUM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.