Search

American Express International Euro Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More
American Express International Euro Card

Hello everyone

I'm interested in the "American Express International Euro Card" which is issued in the UK.

Can anyone apply for this card or does the potential customer need to reside in the UK?

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mscola
...does the potential customer need to reside in the UK?
No. They are not offered to those who reside in the USA, otherwise anyone can apply.

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...llar/euro.html
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More
On the site, it says

"Please note, they are not offered in the USA to USA residents"

Is it possible that you get a different page/notice when you access the site from the US?

What it does say is that you must have been a member for six months in order to get this card: "Please note International Currency Card products are only available to existing American Express customers with more than six months of membership"

The reason that I would like to apply for this card is because I'm not a member yet.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by mscola
Is it possible that you get a different page/notice when you access the site from the US?
I see exactly what we both described:

American Express International US Dollar Cards and Euro Cards are serviced in English.

Please note, they are not offered in the USA to USA residents. Visit our USA website. US Dollar Cards are also issued from Latin America and the Caribbean.

We are unable to accept applications through this site from people whose main residence or payment bank is in Singapore. If your main residence is in Singapore or your payment bank is in Singapore and you are interested in applying for an International Currency Card, please contact Customer Services.
On which page do you see the six month requirement?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:46 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
On which page do you see the six month requirement?
I see it, after clicking [Apply]. I think this is a fairly new policy, but I do not know the specifics. I expect you need to apply for a card issued in your country first, then apply for one of these later if you wish.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
What if you are a US citizen that resides in the EU?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
They have changed the rules recently to bring in the 6 month membership thing.

On the positive side, this replaces the old policy whereby they wanted bank references and took literally weeks to consider your application.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Just refloating this old thread to see if anyone who has a ICC Platinum Euro/Dollar card has been having issues logging in lately?

This has happened to me for the last 2 weeks or so - basically I have acess to my account overview where I can see the transactions and monthly spend. However, I am unable to click on "Platinum" to view the benefits page and the offers Amex posts in there from time to time. Once I click there, it keeps logging me out and asking me to log in again - pretty annoying.

I have told Amex but they simply said that they are aware of some IT issues... Not good.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Out of curiosity, can someone who has one of these cards elaborate on how it works? Is this linked to your local country's Amex card? And how does payment work? Are there foreign transaction fees if you use the card for non-$/non-euro purchases?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:06 am
mia

Originally Posted by moe8555
... Is this linked to your local country's Amex card? And how does payment work? Are there foreign transaction fees if you use the card for non-$/non-euro purchases?
This is a separate American Express card account unrelated to any other cards or accounts. There is a separate website for account management, and there is a separate version of Membership Rewards with its own earning rate and redemption options. There is a fee for transactions in other currencies (Dollar card = 3%, Euro card = 2.7%)

You pay the bill using your US Dollar or Euro bank account, see here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...v=iNUtlContact
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mia
This is a separate American Express card account unrelated to any other cards or accounts. There is a separate website for account management, and there is a separate version of Membership Rewards with its own earning rate and redemption options. There is a fee for transactions in other currencies (Dollar card = 3%, Euro card = 2.7%)

You pay the bill using your US Dollar or Euro bank account, see here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...v=iNUtlContact
Thanks for the info!
A shame they have FX fees as the benefits are quite generous, in some cases exceeding the US Platinum.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:09 pm
mia

Originally Posted by moe8555
Thanks for the info!
A shame they have FX fees as the benefits are quite generous, in some cases exceeding the US Platinum.
Insurance coverage is much more comprehensive, but the Membership Rewards program is inferior and there is (example) no $200 airline fee reimbursement.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 12:07 am

What are the fees for withdrawing cash (Euro) with the Euro-denominated Amex Basic International Currency Card?

I am unable to find that. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.