Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yes travel expenses is the big one. But unless you have a trip coming up, that category may not be possible. Most middle class families take 1 long trip and 1 long weekend per year.
Define Middle Class .... what is middle class in NYC might be a 5%er in Alabama

Didn't hotel.com (not 100%) prepaid hotel reservations you could cancel without penalty.
Book prepay and as you spend cancel ....
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:46 am

Frozen Points

Has anyone had any luck with getting AMEX to unfreeze their MRs? I have been quoted that the 6-8 weeks should have ended last Friday but they still are not available to use.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by deltadan45
Has anyone had any luck with getting AMEX to unfreeze their MRs? I have been quoted that the 6-8 weeks should have ended last Friday but they still are not available to use.
Someone up thread said they were able to transfer points and asked if that meant they were officially un-frozen. So that appears to be a yes.

In your case, if the 8 weeks were officially supposed to end last week, I would contact Amex, tell them the 8 weeks expired and see what they say. My guess is they'll tell you they don't know when the freeze will be lifted and that there is nobody who can answer that. Out of curiosity, was last Friday the end of the 8 week period following the closing of the first statement, or 8 weeks after the points posted or 8 weeks after you received your card?

I think the idea of going to the CFPB when this first happened was over the top, but after 8 weeks, I feel differently about it. Eight weeks seemed like a minor inconvenience to cardholders, and it didn't seem unreasonable for Amex to want to investigate this stuff. But even if 8 weeks is reasonable, an indefinite waiting period definitely is not. Amex needs to get their act together.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LWT3
I think the idea of going to the CFPB when this first happened was over the top, but after 8 weeks, I feel differently about it. ...
Agreed, I would complain if has been more than eight weeks from the date of the statement on which you met the required spend (which might not be the first statement.)
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended

I suggested CFPB right when this happened. If people had done that, it would have been resolved already. By filing now, you'll probably need to wait another 3-4 weeks before any resolution occurs.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I suggested CFPB right when this happened. If people had done that, it would have been resolved already.
Probably not. At least for those that had no other MR balance frozen, there was nothing to complain about until 8 weeks after the statement date that had the qualifying spend on it. Amex would have responded to the CFPB exactly as they've done to cardholders: "The terms and conditions say it takes 6-8 weeks. We won't look into it further until that time has expired."
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
Probably not. At least for those that had no other MR balance frozen, there was nothing to complain about until 8 weeks after the statement date that had the qualifying spend on it. Amex would have responded to the CFPB exactly as they've done to cardholders: "The terms and conditions say it takes 6-8 weeks. We won't look into it further until that time has expired."
Wrong and this has been discussed already.

If AMEX had waited 8 weeks to post points, that would have been fine. That's not what happened. They awarded the points and then froze them. There is nothing in the T&C about points being frozen so AMEX is currently violating their own T&C. They can change their T&C if they want but they haven't so they are currently in violation.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
There's also nothing prohibiting them from un-posting points that were erroneously posted before the required time period, and then re-posting them at the appropriate time. You're picking at nits. And yes, Amex hasn't done so yet, but if the CFPB were able to force them to comply with the T&C to the letter, then that remedy would be available to Amex: they could un-post the points, unfreeze the accounts, and then re-post them at the 8-week mark. Which would get us back to where we are now.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
...from un-posting points that were erroneously posted before the required time period
Wrong. Points can take up to 6-8 weeks to post but they can post sooner. Once points have posted, AMEX would need to prove that the points were earned fraudulently in order to take them away.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Wrong and this has been discussed already.

If AMEX had waited 8 weeks to post points, that would have been fine. That's not what happened. They awarded the points and then froze them. There is nothing in the T&C about points being frozen so AMEX is currently violating their own T&C. They can change their T&C if they want but they haven't so they are currently in violation.
Have you had a lawyer read over the terms and conditions? I doubt you have the qualifications to interpret, legally speaking, what is within the the terms and what is not. I also sincerely doubt 99% of people here have even read the T&C.

Secondly, numerous people have already unsuccessfully filed CFPB complaints and have been told Amex is within their rights to freeze the points.

The easiest and most effective solution here is to sit tight until the points are unfrozen, which will most likely be after you are unable to get a pro rated annual fee refund, or Sept 1.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invalyd
The easiest and most effective solution here is to sit tight until the points are unfrozen, which will most likely be after you are unable to get a pro rated annual fee refund, or Sept 1.
People may need to start taking AMEX to arbitration then.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:59 pm

Yeah, freezing the points has nothing to do with the 6-8 weeks term in the T&C, it has everything to do with the "we can do whatever the heck we want" clause. I haven't read them, but I can pretty much guarantee it is in there. Whether it is enforceable or not has yet to be determined, but AMEX relies on that clause quite a lot, and dares anyone to challenge them.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:06 pm

I suggested CFPB right when this happened.
Yes, you were very, very insistent on that as a course of action, and many people disagreed with you. I still do. Let's not re-hash that.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Secondly, numerous people have already unsuccessfully filed CFPB complaints and have been told Amex is within their rights to freeze the points.
Interesting. I've followed this thread pretty closely and have not seen anyone say that. Were these reports on reddit or someplace like that?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LWT3
Yes, you were very, very insistent on that as a course of action, and many people disagreed with you. I still do. Let's not re-hash that.
You disagree with me yet you're now advocating for CFPB to step in, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.