Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
So this language is on the payment page when one attempts to make an award booking? My question arose from the language on dl.com under EGCs FAQs:
  • Gift Cards may only be redeemed for the cost of air transportation, including taxes, fees, and surcharges imposed on the air transportation. They may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, mileage booster, SkyMiles Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals).
My reading was that since by booking an award ticket the pricing is miles plus whatever taxes, fees, and surcharges are imposed on the ticket, the eGC would be usable given the language above.

But this is DL so I double checked-lucky for me!
When you're on the payment page, the option to pay award fees with eCerts is disabled. I lucked out too by checking here first.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
I'm trying to figure out how to keep track of these eGift Cards, and how to combine them. I have an idea.

First, a little background. I made the mistake of buy one single $200 cert, expecting the Amex Plat reimbursement. Of course, no joy. So I then bought $50x4 as discussed and confirmed ad nauseam in this thread. So now I have FIVE of these eCerts, and I see that you can use a maximum of THREE per flight.

I was wondering if there was a clever way to get around this. I believe you can buy a ticket, and can then cancel it without penalty within 24 hours. If you buy using a charge card, I'm sure you get a credit. But what happens if you use your eGift card? Does it refund to your wallet? Do funds in your wallet ever expire?

My scheme would be something like this: I could buy a ticket and use three eGifts. Then cancel the ticket within 24 hours. Wait a little, then buy another ticket and use my other two eGifts, and then again cancel the ticket. I'm speculating that I'd then have $400 sitting in my wallet. I could then use it sometime for a single purchase, AND I wouldn't run the risk of losing the certificates.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
I'm trying to figure out how to keep track of these eGift Cards, and how to combine them. I have an idea.

First, a little background. I made the mistake of buy one single $200 cert, expecting the Amex Plat reimbursement. Of course, no joy. So I then bought $50x4 as discussed and confirmed ad nauseam in this thread. So now I have FIVE of these eCerts, and I see that you can use a maximum of THREE per flight.

I was wondering if there was a clever way to get around this. I believe you can buy a ticket, and can then cancel it without penalty within 24 hours. If you buy using a charge card, I'm sure you get a credit. But what happens if you use your eGift card? Does it refund to your wallet? Do funds in your wallet ever expire?

My scheme would be something like this: I could buy a ticket and use three eGifts. Then cancel the ticket within 24 hours. Wait a little, then buy another ticket and use my other two eGifts, and then again cancel the ticket. I'm speculating that I'd then have $400 sitting in my wallet. I could then use it sometime for a single purchase, AND I wouldn't run the risk of losing the certificates.

Thoughts?
Two one-way tickets. Six e-certificates.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:14 am

So this language is on the payment page when one attempts to make an award booking? My question arose from the language on dl.com under EGCs FAQs:
  • Gift Cards may only be redeemed for the cost of air transportation, including taxes, fees, and surcharges imposed on the air transportation. They may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, mileage booster, SkyMiles Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals).
My reading was that since by booking an award ticket the pricing is miles plus whatever taxes, fees, and surcharges are imposed on the ticket, the eGC would be usable given the language above.

Interesting that the FAQ uses slightly different phrasing than the actual Terms & Conditions:
eGifts and Cards may only be used for the total purchase price of air transportation...
The word "total", missing from the FAQ, is why you can't use GCs for the taxes on an award booking.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Alas, this has been asked and answered many times in the thread: the GCs are returned to you in the same denominations that were originally used to purchase the refunded ticket.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:01 pm

Another positive DP: Purchased 4x$50 GCs on desktop site and was reimbursed a couple days after posting.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Interesting that the FAQ uses slightly different phrasing than the actual Terms & Conditions:

The word "total", missing from the FAQ, is why you can't use GCs for the taxes on an award booking.
The Grayed out option online tells the story. One can try the phone booking but it has already reported many times the phone agent route does not work either. That same "total" language has been pointed out several weeks ago when the question is once again brought up in this thread.

So I dont understand why people still waste time to comb thru the words in the T&Cs and try to interpret it in the consumer's favor (this comment is not towards you but to the general public here). One can keep interpreting the languages but if DL does not give you the option to pay the taxes and fees towards award tickets, what are you planning to do? escalating it to the management?

We should have info of this in the Wiki, as well as the fact that buying a refundable or cancel a ticket within 24 hours would NOT return the used e-Certs to one's Wallet or to a single e-Cert. The refund is going back to its original form of payment in the EXACT manner you paid. In short, there is NO known way to consolidate these e-Certs until someone tries again and reported the DPs.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Happy
The Grayed out option online tells the story. One can try the phone booking but it has already reported many times the phone agent route does not work either. That same "total" language has been pointed out several weeks ago when the question is once again brought up in this thread.

So I dont understand why people still waste time to comb thru the words in the T&Cs and try to interpret it in the consumer's favor (this comment is not towards you but to the general public here). One can keep interpreting the languages but if DL does not give you the option to pay the taxes and fees towards award tickets, what are you planning to do? escalating it to the management?

We should have info of this in the Wiki, as well as the fact that buying a refundable or cancel a ticket within 24 hours would NOT return the used e-Certs to one's Wallet or to a single e-Cert. The refund is going back to its original form of payment in the EXACT manner you paid. In short, there is NO known way to consolidate these e-Certs until someone tries again and reported the DPs.
Agree on all points.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold
Nearly $128 fee for Comfort+ posted January 22, still no credit applied...is this considered an "upgrade" that is not an incidental fee? I forget if I've had this credited to me before. I have had the taxes on an award ticket credited though...
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Originally Posted by knit-in
When you're on the payment page, the option to pay award fees with eCerts is disabled. I lucked out too by checking here first.
I don't think that's the language on the checkout screen - it's much more direct, as per my previous post. If someone wants just do a dummy booking to anywhere and copy/paste what you see on the payment screen.

Also, I don't understand this "lucked out" claim. Y'all are buying gift certificates with certain rules/restrictions. You pay $50, and you get $50 in credit to use in certain ways on a specific airline. If you don't spend $50 in ordinary airfare on Delta, perhaps buying a Delta gift card for your own use isn't the smartest idea in the world? You could also, y'know, gift that $50 to someone you know.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Alas, this has been asked and answered many times in the thread: the GCs are returned to you in the same denominations that were originally used to purchase the refunded ticket.
And with the original expiration date, IIRC.

Originally Posted by Happy

+100

This thread is all about people exploiting a gap in how DL posts certain charges vs. how Amex reimburses certain charges, and then proceeding to complain about what they can/cannot use eGCs for. Give me a break. If you really don't spend enough $ on DL to make use of a $50 gift certificate, choose another airline from which to claim your fee credit. If you do spend $ on DL, be thankful that you can (for now) convert part of your fee credit into an eGC to use as needed within the T&Cs. Talk about give an inch take a mile...DL/Amex is giving folks a SkyPeso and they're whining about it not being 100k MQMs instead.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy
Nearly $128 fee for Comfort+ posted January 22, still no credit applied...is this considered an "upgrade" that is not an incidental fee? I forget if I've had this credited to me before. I have had the taxes on an award ticket credited though...
I'm assuming the $128 was charged separately from your initial fare?

I paid for C+ seats for Mrs. Lee recently and got credited, but that was only $60 or so IIRC.

While DL technically sells C+ as an "upgrade", there is a decent argument that since the seats are in the same physical cabin as regular coach, it's really just a seat assignment fee in the same way as MCE/E+ on AA/UA. Could be worth a call to Amex.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by gooselee
I don't think that's the language on the checkout screen - it's much more direct, as per my previous post. If someone wants just do a dummy booking to anywhere and copy/paste what you see on the payment screen.

Also, I don't understand this "lucked out" claim.
It's ok, you don't have to understand everything.

You are, however, correct that there is direct language stating that eCerts can't be used for award bookings.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:30 am

​​​​​​

Also, I don't understand this "lucked out" claim. Y'all are buying gift certificates with certain rules/restrictions. You pay $50, and you get $50 in credit to use in certain ways on a specific airline. If you don't spend $50 in ordinary airfare on Delta, perhaps buying a Delta gift card for your own use isn't the smartest idea in the world? You could also, y'know, gift that $50 to someone you know.

I was lucky to learn through Happy’s response that DL treats the eGCs differently in practice than the T&Cs suggest, all as explained in my posts upthread.

But in this ever-changing world, it is in a way refreshing to see that the quibblng and holier-than-thou lecturing on FT continues at full speed.
knit-in and Happy like this.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jan 30, 2018 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:09 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator caution

Please write about American Express products, policies and practices, and not about each other.
knit-in likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold
I'm assuming the $128 was charged separately from your initial fare?

I paid for C+ seats for Mrs. Lee recently and got credited, but that was only $60 or so IIRC.

While DL technically sells C+ as an "upgrade", there is a decent argument that since the seats are in the same physical cabin as regular coach, it's really just a seat assignment fee in the same way as MCE/E+ on AA/UA. Could be worth a call to Amex.
Yes, it was indeed charged separately and weeks after my initial fare. I will call AMEX today. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.