Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaxVO
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely

Caution: effective from 22 June 2019, gift card purchases from Delta do not get reimbursed.

Read this primer first
  • In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to <--(link dead) select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation. Try logging in to your AMEX account and selecting the airline. This link may work
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask especially about the fuzzier cases below because that will probably hasten closing of any loopholes.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

additional collections/split tender

THIS IS A LOOPHOLE. BE DISCREET

Anything coded as an additional collection (aka add/collect or a/c), including difference in fare when changing flights, and accepting an FCM offer, also triggers the credit and will be reimbursed; this may (insufficient data) only happen if the additional amount collected is below ~$250 (regardless of card type, e.g. there have been reports of full $100 credit for Gold card on a/c over $100 and full $200 credit for Plat on a/c over $200 but less than $250)
  • Relevantly, split tender where you partially pay with a gift card, existing credit, VDB voucher etc. and partly charged to your card, are processed by DL as an add/collect and trigger the credit per above.
  • Thus if you anticipate actually buying, say, a $200 DL ticket, you could buy a single $50 gift card, then buy the ticket using $50 GC and $150 on your card (the $150 will be reimbursed)
  • Canceling a ticket within the 24-hour risk-free period generally results in funds being returned to where they came from (GC back to GC and CC back to CC). If you have no immediate travel plans but anticipate travel in the next year, consider buying a fully refundable ticket and then changing it later once you know your future travel dates. IF a lot of people suddenly start refunding tickets after getting the credit reimbursement this may hasten the demise of this particular loophole.
  • Caution when buying multiple tickets: for example if you buy two $125 tickets in one transaction (total $250) and use one $100 GC or even two $50 GCs, they will all be applied to the same ticket and you would see one additional collection for $25 on that ticket and a separate "normal" charge for $125 for the second ticket. In this scenario only $25 will be reimbursed (instead of the $150 you might be expecting)

other non Gift Card options
  • baggage and other service fees (same day change/standby, change fees, etc.)
  • taxes on award flights
  • in-flight purchases (EXCEPT wifi)
  • SkyClub access/guest fees (but NOT gift cards purchased at a SC, which are actually activated at a 3rd party web site)
  • mileage boosts (post 2499)
  • The $59 for Delta Skymiles Select is reimbursed (posts 2180, 2182)
  • seat assignment fees (may need to call in to have processed manually)

(DEAD) eGift Card (eCert) details
This Section is not applicable effective 2019/06/22!
  • Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • There is one recent REPORT of a telephone agent allowing more than three eCerts to be used when purchasing one ticket.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Bumping this question. I'm going to book a trip to LHR in a couple days using a GUC. I know there is a luxury tax that Delta bills separate of around $100. Has anyone had any luck getting it reimbursed? In the past I've always charged it to my CSR card and IIRC Chase doesn't state on the statements how the charges are classified.

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:21 am

I wonder if a first class upgrade fee of $200+ would work if you ask Amex to do it manually.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
No. Any AMEX card will do. I booked my last two companion certs using an (at the time) SPG AMEX because in each case I had already cancelled the supporting DL-cobranded card

EDIT: although the booking flow is slightly different for companion certs than normal tickets in that you have to visit your wallet and check the box for the certificate before searching. I think you'll still be able to apply a GC for partial payment and the rest on a CC but not 100% sure.
No, unfortunately the Companion Cert has to be 100% on an Amex card (no gift cards, no e-credits, etc.)
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC 75k, WN CP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jomama341
DP
  • 10/23 Bought one refundable way fare for $253 w/ $50 Delta GC and Amex personal Plat
  • 10/25 Charge posted as one transaction for $203
  • 10/26 Full $200 reimbursement credit posted, meter moved to show full reimbursement
Did you then refund the fare?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by MorganB
Delta keeps it kind of hidden with very little on their website. Its not unlike AA's 5 star service. From what I understand it is now open to any class of service and includes lounge access if you don't already have it. Its 350$ for the first person and 100$ for each additional person. I'm traveling with my father to Africa but I will only be joining him in Atlanta and onward. He will have to connected by himself in Atlanta and he is 94 and while he is generally able bodied and sharp minded when he gets tired he is sometimes less clear headed so I plan on using the service for him. They will actually meet him on the plane and take him through customs and immigration in Atlanta on the return and then drive him to his onward flight. As I will be connecting to a different flight in a different terminal its totally worth it. Not so much for the VIP aspect but more for peace of mind in my case. At any rate (back on topic) was hoping someone had used it and been reimbursed .....
You don't have to book VIP service for that. A simple wheelchair request will get you the same service. I use it for my dad all the time now for flights between Europe and the US. He is 93.
MorganB likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by jomama341
DP
  • 10/23 Bought one refundable way fare for $253 w/ $50 Delta GC and Amex personal Plat
  • 10/25 Charge posted as one transaction for $203
  • 10/26 Full $200 reimbursement credit posted, meter moved to show full reimbursement
For everyone: any datapoints on triggering the credit and refunding the fare? If so, what form does the refund take? Delta GCs? Split between refund to original GC and statement credit to Amex CC?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Normally if you cancel a refundable DL ticket, funds are returned to the original source of payment, such as your credit card in the form of a credit. If so, I would expect AmEx to claw back the credit they gave you. I don't know how gift cards would be treated in this case.

If it's a nonrefundable ticket, the funds normally remain on the ticket number, but of course the change fee is deducted from the value when you change the ticket to use the remaining value. I would assume that this would include the portion paid with a gift card.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:32 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
These issues have been discussed previously, in this thread.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.... I would expect AmEx to claw back the credit
I would not because their software does not seem to make the connection to the transaction which qualified for the credit. They could do it, but they have not.

Payments made with a Delta gift card are normally refunded in the form of a gift card.
farwest101 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:31 pm

Not sure if I did this correctly, but will report back

Bought (1) $250 egift voucher. Waited 3 days for it to be able to be usable (why soooo long??). Booked a $480 flight. Balance was $230. Used Amex Plat with full $200 credit assigned to DL available.

Initial amex charge posted as Delta Air Lines (pending). Not sure if that is the kiss of death? There is no other details on the charge yet (just made it a few hours ago). Will report back once I get some more information.

If I did it wrong (should have bought a series of $50 gift cards??) please correct me as I need to book another DL flight shortly.

Thanks and fingers crossed.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered. I'm relatively new to the Amex Plat card.

I have both the Amex Plat and Delta Amex Plat with the companion certificate. The T&Cs on the Cert say you must pay with the Delta Amex Plat but is that enforced?

Here's what I'd like to do...would it work?

Airfare i want is $398.
I want to use the BOGO to buy both tickets. I have 5 - $50 Delta gift cards already purchased. I'm assuming my total will be a little over $400 after the companion's taxes.
Use all 5 gift cards to bring the total under $200 and pay that with the Amex Plat; and hopefully get close to $200 is incidental credits back. I assume I'd have to call to use all 5 gift cards at once?

Advice?
You can't use 5 gift cards in one transaction. I believe the most you can use is 3, so you may not be able to get the charge down low enough to trigger a credit unless your gift cards are for a greater amount.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:14 pm
GK8

Programs: Most of 'em
You can use more than three gift cards by calling in. Website does limit number of cards though.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by michael_v
I wonder if a first class upgrade fee of $200+ would work if you ask Amex to do it manually.
If you call in about this, be sure to point out the
wording in the T&Cs that specifically calls out upgrades as NOT being eligible for the fee credit.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA Gold, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by LizGross144
Had $221 remaining in credit on my Hilton Aspire after guesting a colleague into the Sky Club.

Oct 27 Charged exactly $221 in mileage booster fees for an upcoming flight (for a whopping total of 12,000 miles). Coded as "Miscellaneous Tax(s)/Fees."

Oct 30 Received $221 credit

Nov 7: added 2x $59 mileage booster (118$) to future Delta flight (12/12 /2019) on the Hilton Aspire.

Last edited by rice4u; Nov 8, 2019 at 3:30 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:39 am

Nov 5 - Bought a $59 Mileage Booster on Nov 3.
Nov 7 - Coded as Miscellaneous/Taxes
Meter Moved from 250 to 191

Still Awaiting for Credit
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Bought a $178 one way ticket on November 4 using a $100 gift card (already had) and rest on Amex Gold. Posted as 'Additional Collection'

November 7th the meter moved.

November 8th the $78 credit was refunded (statement also closed this day)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.