Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JamilD
This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

New as of Jun 30, 2016
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral + earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)

New as of March 23 2016
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral + earn 25K MR for each referral you make
(Note: as of Jun 30, the Business Platinum is still at 75K welcome and 25K referral points).

New as of May 2016
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(Note: as of mid-May 2016, Gold will now earn 5K points for referring and increased from $500 to $1500 required spending. FYI: from Jan 11 to mid-May, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.)

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by DealAddict
Can confirm that referral from the plat to gold still yields 15k referral... Applied yesterday, points posted today. But yeah I would generate a link now before they shut down the old referral page for good
OK good to know. I can live with that as it's what I was doing. I guess Amex cracking down on those getting a lot of something for nothing. Nonetheless, I don't like the slippery slope.

If we end up with a more U.S. style program (no referrals, once-in-a-lifetime bonus) then we'd better end up with U.S. transfer partners, not just Aerocrap and Avios. Otherwise Amex will be more marginalized than it already is.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
OK good to know. I can live with that as it's what I was doing. I guess Amex cracking down on those getting a lot of something for nothing. Nonetheless, I don't like the slippery slope.

If we end up with a more U.S. style program (no referrals, once-in-a-lifetime bonus) then we'd better end up with U.S. transfer partners, not just Aerocrap and Avios. Otherwise Amex will be more marginalized than it already is.

I don't need any more aeroplan points ... The loss of the spg card will really hurt... We need a good amex hotel card.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by DealAddict
I don't need any more aeroplan points ... The loss of the spg card will really hurt... We need a good amex hotel card.
Yeah, it'll definitely hurt. Love my SPG card.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Has it actually been posted that the SPG card is going away? From what I can see it is still referrable from within the AmEx Canada referral portal.

Mark
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
No, people just think it is because Marriott (who's with Chase) bought Starwood.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:34 pm
alc

Originally Posted by lowside67
Has it actually been posted that the SPG card is going away? From what I can see it is still referrable from within the AmEx Canada referral portal.

Mark
my guess is that the AMEX SPG card will continue getting all the benefits from referral bonus and high(er) sign-up bonus or maybe they will do a FYF promo too with a lower sign-up bonus, just to get as many AMEX SPG card holder as possible to use it as a negotiation with the new Marriott to either keep both Chase and AMEX, or even take over the folio as the new Marriott credit card. that is just my guess...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:43 pm

So does that mean if I have the aeroplan amex blue card, and I refer myself to the platinum aeroplan card, I will NOT get any referral points???

That sucks.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:55 pm
alc

Originally Posted by musicscrip
So does that mean if I have the aeroplan amex blue card, and I refer myself to the platinum aeroplan card, I will NOT get any referral points???

That sucks.
officially, under the AMEX AerplanPlus family of cards, only the AeroPlat will get referral bonus now. And specifically to the Basic card, you can't even refer at all. Gold card you can still refer, just do you not get any referral bonus.

Now, if you want to go to the old referral page and "accidentally" select the wrong card on Step 1, where it ask for your current card, not sure if you will still get any referral bonus.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
That was odd... I called amex today for something, and rep asked me about my SPG card... and then it proceeded to explain me benefits of refering. Even sent me email "The referral program information you requested!" And this is account that ping-ponged couple of SPG referrals between myself, hubby and biz cards...

Never had amex rep push referral option on the phone.
I don't get it: kill referrals for (almost) everything and then push referrals for SPG? What good is that going to be?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Lazarev
... kill referrals for (almost) everything and then push referrals for SPG? What good is that going to be?
At this stage I imagine that American Express wants to open as many Starwood card accounts as possible for leverage in their negotiations with Marriott Corp.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:02 pm

That was odd... I called amex today for something, and rep asked me about my SPG card... and then it proceeded to explain me benefits of refering. Even sent me email "The referral program information you requested!" And this is account that ping-ponged couple of SPG referrals between myself, hubby and biz cards...

I don't get it: kill referrals for (almost) everything and then push referrals for SPG? What good is that going to be?
I've experienced the same with non-spg cards before
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: *void
Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Mia, if true then that sounds like a recipe for...a FYF promo!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

I got the same kind of call shortly after I opened my AeroPlat, advertising its referral options. Not unique to SPG cards...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:34 pm

25% BA conversion is back! just in time for the deval

But still worth it to convert to BA Avios and then convert BA into IB Avios for 6k short haul redemption as oppose to 7.5k effective Feb 2nd
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by mia
At this stage I imagine that American Express wants to open as many Starwood card accounts as possible for leverage in their negotiations with Marriott Corp.
Then hopefully they'll offer me a juicy retention offer when I call to close before the annual fee is charged....even though I've only spent $505!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.