Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the advantages of PRG over Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Hahaha. Prestige is the one true card.
One card to rule them all.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by steve4
One card to rule them all.
^

Once you do the ticket booking trick, you actually only pay $100 (or $200) for a premium card. There is no other card that matches Prestige atm. Of course if you're looking to churn some cards then by all mean get them but if a traveler is looking for a keeper then Prestige is a no brainier. Prestige also turns my Forward into 8% on amazon, bookstore, entertainment, fast food, restaurants, etc

now that said, I'll eventually get this amex card but it'll be so I can hopefully get 50k MR signup bonus. I really hope Amex steps up their game coz right now CSP (particularly when combined with Freedom and Ink Cash) and Prestige (particularly when combined with Forward) just look a lot more attractive.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:23 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by runb4fun
^

Once you do the ticket booking trick, you actually only pay $100 (or $200) for a premium card. There is no other card that matches Prestige atm. Of course if you're looking to churn some cards then by all mean get them but if a traveler is looking for a keeper then Prestige is a no brainier. Prestige also turns my Forward into 8% on amazon, bookstore, entertainment, fast food, restaurants, etc

now that said, I'll eventually get this amex card but it'll be so I can hopefully get 50k MR signup bonus. I really hope Amex steps up their game coz right now CSP (particularly when combined with Freedom and Ink Cash) and Prestige (particularly when combined with Forward) just look a lot more attractive.
The bummer is that the Prestige is only attractive for AA flyers. For folks stuck on UA like me, it's a lot less interesting, because there are few good redemption options.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
The bummer is that the Prestige is only attractive for AA flyers. For folks stuck on UA like me, it's a lot less interesting, because there are few good redemption options.
fair point. what do you churn for UA? MR or UR points?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:42 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
fair point. what do you churn for UA? MR or UR points?
I don't really churn, but I do earn on the CSP and Ink+. I also do MR (PRG + Plat), but those don't help with UA much, they're mostly for the occasional usage on OALs.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Prestige (particularly when combined with Forward) just look a lot more attractive.
Not really an apples to apples comparison considering the Forward isn't available to new applicants.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of Platinum Card activation has been transferred:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by hiima
Hahaha. Prestige is the one true card.
When the Prestige gets the Premier's bonus points tiers, primary car rental insurance, chip & pin priority, and contactless support, I'll agree with you.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:51 am
Suspended

The Premier has better rental coverage than the Prestige?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
The Premier has better rental coverage than the Prestige?
No, but other cards do.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:37 pm

the simplest and best advantage: More Bonus Points.

If you can or think you can afford Platinum the $195/year annual fee shouldn't even be anything to worry about.

I think it's worth having both, Platinum (or the Business Platinum) for the Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits and $200 airline fee credits (along with the SPG Gold, etc) but putting airfare, gas and dining spend on the PRG for the boost in MR points.

PRG is my favorite card by far...thinking about getting rid of my personal Amex Platinum and just keeping the Business Platinum for the benefits.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
It is attractive for Delta hub captive flyers as well since you can transfer points to the Air France/KLM Flying Blue program and book Delta flights.
I recently priced out 3 different flights on Delta vs Flying Blue and in all three instances, the Flying Blue flights on points were cheaper than Delta Skymiles for the same Delta flights. One example was ATL to GUA.
Skymiles 70k
Flying Blue 57.5 K
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Premier's bonus points tiers,
how is bonus tires better in premier? or are you just stating your preference?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:27 pm

how is bonus tires better in premier? or are you just stating your preference?
It's a fact, not preference. Premier gives triple points on all travel, as well as gas. Prestige is just triple points on air travel and hotels. No car rentals, no rail, no gas. This is why some people carry both cards. The Premier to earn points, and the Prestige to redeem points.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by factory81
So I think people need to think long and hard about Delta/Centurion/Priority Pass Lounges
When comparing the two cards, unfortunately the complimentary Priority Pass Select membership doesn't appear to be beneficial for my upcoming travel plans.

The lounge in Toronto for transborder flights is in Terminal 1 which is great if flying on Air Canada. At LAX, is it even possible to tranverse between the domestic terminals without exiting the secured area?

Fortunately, members now have access to the Avianca lounge in Miami. Last year, the only lounge available in Concourse J was the VIP lounge which wasn't open to members in the evening when many international flights depart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.