Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Round trip to PRG or KRK from SEA for 50k MR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Round trip to PRG or KRK from SEA for 50k MR?

So I just got the 50k MR points for 1k spend deal on the AMEX PRG.

I've been doing points stuff for a while but this is my first time using MR points. I read up a bit and it seems there's several different options through various transfer partners with different conversion rates and fuel surcharges.

So is there any way to do this with 50k MR or do I need to pick up more AA, UA or UR points?

(I think I have $100 off fuel surcharges with the PRG).

Thank you!!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:15 pm

Aeroplan is the main MR partner for star alliance to europe. It is 60k round trip in economy for western, and 75k to eastern. However they only charge 90k round trip in business, this will go up on December 15th with their upcoming devaulation. Delta starts at 60k round trip to europe in economy.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Flying Blue (Air France & KLM's frequent flyer program) charges 50k round trip for economy to Europe. Flying Blue does not collect fuel surcharges if you fly on Delta. While they do collect fuel surcharges for flights on Air France & KLM, it's only ~$65 each direction in economy, so it may still be worthwhile considering the mileage savings.

Also, your $100 off fuel surcharges statement seems to be related to the airline incidental fee reimbursement. It's not that straightforward. First, you have to select an airline on which you want to use the credit BEFORE you make a purchase with the airline that you want to be covered. This selection can only be set or changed once per year. The only airlines you can select are US-based (so no Air France / KLM). Even if you choose, say, Delta, and you book an award with Delta miles and pay the taxes and fees with your PRG, technically award taxes and fees do not qualify for reimbursement. Amex's reimbursement system is automated, so you may get the credit for them even though they don't qualify, but it's not guaranteed.

Last edited by dukerau; Nov 3, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dukerau
Flying Blue (Air France & KLM's frequent flyer program) charges 50k round trip for economy to Europe. Flying Blue does not collect fuel surcharges if you fly on Delta. While they do collect fuel surcharges for flights on Air France & KLM, it's only ~$65 each direction in economy, so it may still be worthwhile considering the mileage savings.

Also, your $100 off fuel surcharges statement seems to be related to the airline incidental fee reimbursement. It's not that straightforward. First, you have to select an airline on which you want to use the credit BEFORE you make a purchase with the airline that you want to be covered. This selection can only be set or changed once per year. The only airlines you can select are US-based (so no Air France / KLM). Even if you choose, say, Delta, and you book an award with Delta miles and pay the taxes and fees with your PRG, technically award taxes and fees do not qualify for reimbursement. Amex's reimbursement system is automated, so you may get the credit for them even though they don't qualify, but it's not guaranteed.
If you try to get SkyTeam award tickets, note that (as usual for other alliances too) only low partner award tickets are available, but DL tends to use additive pricing when there are low partner segments and nonlow segments on DL metal involved. Also, partner availability is bad for business class, both to use DL miles on AF/KLM and to use FB miles on DL operated flights.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Whew, this stuff is pretty complicated. I guess it's cause I know all about points but nothing about how the airlines and partnerships work.

I noticed AA has 40k round trip flights but I gather it's hard to get to their partners with MR?

I'll check on FlyingBlue flights. If that doesn't look good I'll probably just pick up the AA card.

Thanks! If anyone has any other ideas I'd still love to hear.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I noticed AA has 40k round trip flights but I gather it's hard to get to their partners with MR?"

Not hard at all. But when you redeem partner miles for AA flights, you pay the partner program's redemption rates (and surcharges, if any) -- not AA's redemption rates.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

^So are there partners of AA which have low fuel surcharges/extra fees? I wouldn't mind paying a small fee if I could use their chart to do round-trip for 40k. Especially if I could apply the $100 credit from the PRG.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by freyj6
^So are there partners of AA which have low fuel surcharges/extra fees? I wouldn't mind paying a small fee if I could use their chart to do round-trip for 40k. Especially if I could apply the $100 credit from the PRG.

Thanks!
For AA mileage redemptions, AA, AB (Air Berlin), and AY (Finnair) all have no fuel surcharges. IB (Iberia) has reasonable fuel surcharges. Just avoid BA. That's all of AA's partners that fly US-Europe.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Thanks!
But you would first have to get 40K AA miles. MR points do not transfer to AA, only to AA partners who will charge more than 40K miles for a roundtrip between the West Coast and Europe.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dukerau

Thanks!
For AA mileage redemptions, AA, AB (Air Berlin), and AY (Finnair) all have no fuel surcharges. IB (Iberia) has reasonable fuel surcharges. Just avoid BA. That's all of AA's partners that fly US-Europe.
Not quite. AA also has some non-oneworld partners that fly between the U.S. and Europe: LAX-CDG on TN; and EWR-BRU on 9W. But it's not clear that either of those routes would be helpful in getting an award trip from SEA to KRK/PRG.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

Not quite. AA also has some non-oneworld partners that fly between the U.S. and Europe: LAX-CDG on TN; and EWR-BRU on 9W. But it's not clear that either of those routes would be helpful in getting an award trip from SEA to KRK/PRG.
Good point
Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As the OP is looking to see how to leverage his MR points, we'll move this to the AMEX forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:04 pm

I am pretty much in the same boat for travel from USA to Turkey (Izmir/Ankara). As far as I can see the only option that makes sense is 75k points on aeroplan (only Star Alliance has the 1 stop option) with $40 tax&fees. Which doesn't really make sense as for 75k point I am currently able to get around $1k (tickets are around $800)

Unless you are flying business you are not really getting better value compared to selling miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.