Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ariholland
Separate businesses, each one with its own Plat card. I was only informed about the $3MM threshold in October, when it was too late to shift more spending onto that card. Physically impossible.

Even with earning 1.5x MR points for purchases over $5,000, once I meet the 1MM MR max reimbursement limit, the points are only worth $.015 each. Based on my travel purchases in 2017, I need a limit much higher than 1MM for 2018.
why not get 3 spg cards then? 1 spg is better than 1.5 mr which is better than 2% cashback. At least mix it up a bit. Spg points are very valuable if you know what you are doing with them. You can always pre pay amex cards to up your limit, but if you need the float that doesnt help. If you are putting large spend on certain categories then a different course may be better. (Att card is 3x for online purchases) (several cards for travel at 3x). Spg for unbonused spend of that volume is the winner though.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by moops380
... 1 spg is better than 1.5 mr...]
Not if redeemed for paid airfare, which appears to be ariholland's use. For a Business Platinum account 1 MR point yields $0.0154 airfare, and 1.5 Membership Rewards points yields $0.0231 airfare. SPG Flights uses a bracket system, which makes it unlikely to maximize value, and is capped at $0.01325.

Last edited by mia; Feb 9, 2018 at 7:11 am
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm wondering where the 5x points from Amex for qualifying airline ticket purchases (not with points) fits in. If ariholland purchases a lot of airline tickets that is something to cnsider...
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm wondering where the 5x points from Amex for qualifying airline ticket purchases (not with points) fits in. If ariholland purchases a lot of airline tickets that is something to cnsider...
Great point. I've been thinking about what I would do with 6 million spg points/year. I did use 15k last year for some MLB playoff tix, (great seats and amazing value fwiw). Right now the travel packages to alaska miles seems to be the best deal. The united 157k for 90k spg was good, the aeroplan deal was good, and for the companion pass a great deal as well(RIP). After doing several calculations I stand behind my 1 spg>1.5 MR valuations at present time. I still hold 1.5x amex card (edp)and will use it for grocery bonus, which is great. Usage of the marriott cat 5 7 night cert may change your valuation. Changing of tiers for marriott will as well not help but the power of JAL and alaska miles is something special. (i'd put asiana as a 3rd, non-promo best deal)

What would you do with 6 million spg points/year? retire to some exotic island? I need to start spending 6MM/yr.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:57 pm

Hey all,

My Business Platinum card fee was billed, and I'm on the fence about renewing (was told no retention offer despite 50k or so spend, as I also had an offer last year). I have to cancel or pay fee within 5 days or so. I'm also looking to book flights for Easter. If I were to book today or tomorrow and cancel my card in 5 days, would I still get 35% refund in a month? Any DPs/T&C knowledge on this?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Hey all,

My Business Platinum card fee was billed, and I'm on the fence about renewing (was told no retention offer despite 50k or so spend, as I also had an offer last year). I have to cancel or pay fee within 5 days or so. I'm also looking to book flights for Easter. If I were to book today or tomorrow and cancel my card in 5 days, would I still get 35% refund in a month? Any DPs/T&C knowledge on this?
I have the same question but I have exactly 30 days from now .
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:07 am

Pay With Points - Platinum card

I know I’ve seen this before, but can’t find.

Booking directly with United using my Platinum card, they are my selected airline with my Platinum card.

If I call amex after billing saying I want I want to pay with points will I still be eligible for bonus of 50% points back.

I hate using amex website for travel bookings.

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
IIRC you have the option to pay with points on approved purchases by using the website/app. I've never called AMEX to do this, just clicked the mouse.

Can't answer your other question accurately though, but I am going to "assume" the answer is yes, as the two transactions and benefits are not intertwined.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:03 am
mia

Originally Posted by serialportme
If I call amex after billing saying I want I want to pay with points will I still be eligible for bonus of 50% points back.
Assuming you have Platinum Business, you must book through American Express Travel to Pay with Points or receive the 35% (formerly 50%) refund. You do not have to book online, you can call Business Platinum Travel, but you cannot book directly with the airline or through another agency:

Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to book flights with your selected airline through American Express Travel online or by calling Business Platinum Travel Service.

You'll receive 35% of the Membership Rewards® points used for flights with your selected airline back, approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:27 am

While that is true officially, that is often not the case in practice, especially when you get an "exception" beforehand.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:50 pm
mia

Can you get an exception simply because you don't like the website, rather than because there is a specific problem as there was with Delta at one point?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:52 am

Usually requires a reason, e.g. pricing discrepancy, missing airlines (Spirit), general error, error on booking, etc., but the can be gotten simply for asking.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Usually requires a reason, e.g. pricing discrepancy, missing airlines (Spirit), general error, error on booking, etc., but the can be gotten simply for asking.
I went through this last year when trying to book a fare that was considerably cheaper directly with the airline vs. the prices being quoted online or by the platinum travel desk. I was told by the travel desk that I could book directly and still use points (and get the rebate) since they couldn't match the price... which I did. I then waited two months for the points to post (calling every 3 weeks or so and being told to wait a few more weeks each time). Eventually I was told that because I didn't book through AmEx directly I would not be getting any rebate - one agent event put it that I should be glad I was even able to apply points to the purchase without the rebate!

After about a month of calling AmEx and being passed around various departments (Travel : "we can't help, we don't deal with points, we would never have told you that you could get the rebate if you don't book with us, speak to Membership Rewards", Membership Rewards : "we can't help you we don't deal with travel, we would never have told you that you could get the rebate if you don't book with us, speak to whoever in Travel told you that you would get the rebate"). It got to the point that the phone reps suggested that I was lying and that they would not have told me that I could get the rebate.

Eventually, after pulling the call logs, a customer service manager agreed to process the rebate manually (deducting the bonus points i got for booking the tickets originally) as "an exception".

This was an extremely painful process which I wouldn't recommend to anyone else. It was so painful, in fact, that I will be cancelling my platinum cards after more than 5 years with AmEx.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:42 pm

I’m curious as to how some of you more experienced travelers decide on when/whether to use the Business Platinum 35% benefit (thus getting about $.015 per point) as opposed to waiting until you can find a good transfer opportunity? I am finding my points are building up (now 1.1mm) and two upcoming international flights aren’t likely to be transfer opportunities. TIA.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jeepie
I’m curious as to how some of you more experienced travelers decide on when/whether to use the Business Platinum 35% benefit (thus getting about $.015 per point) as opposed to waiting until you can find a good transfer opportunity? I am finding my points are building up (now 1.1mm) and two upcoming international flights aren’t likely to be transfer opportunities. TIA.
Do you need to earn points/miles/dollars on whatever carrier you will be flying? Is a mileage ticket even available? There are all srts of reasons to choose one option vs. another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.