Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA

Got this email today.

We are pleased to announce that, beginning July 1, 2015, you can get 30% Membership Rewards®1 points back when you use the Pay with Points2 feature for all or part of a flight with the airline you select†. There are no blackout dates or seat restrictions, and you can still earn frequent flyer miles when using Membership Rewards points. To take advantage of this benefit, simply choose the airline that's best for you from the eligible options and book your flight using the American Express Travel site or by calling Business Platinum Travel Service.

Look for more information on how to select an airline and full terms and conditions from American Express on July 1, 2015 when this benefit becomes available.

†The selected airline will be applied to both this new benefit and the $200 Airline Fee Credit3 benefit.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If this is not targeted, it means they are replacing 20% back on all Pay with Points redemptions with 30% off on Pay with Points redemptions for a single airline.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Business Platinum 30% back on flights

Is this the sort of offer that is often targeted? At 30% I might use this feature when points don't work out. Did anyone else get this offer ?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I got this notification. It looks like they're changing the entire program (i.e., it's not a targeted offering). This is great news, and I wonder if one of the savant point folks around here can recalculate the per point value of MR points after the switch. It just may make me switch a giant chunk of spending back to my Business Centurion card from my Fido Visa (2% cash back).

On the flipside, maybe they're doing this because they've failed and exhausted every other avenue for bringing onboard airline partners to replace the ones we've lost (CO, US Air, etc. etc.)

Anyway, any improvement in benefits is welcome, in this age of eroding value in the Cent/Plat cards.

thanks AMEX!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:17 pm
mia

Assuming 1 point is redeemed for $.01 airfare, 30% rebate would net $0.014+ per point.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I always found pay with points to be most useful for hotel redemptions when the hotel loyalty points were out of whack with the cash price.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:30 pm
bbd

Got this offer also today, i will still use my Barclays card which nets me 2.2% and my BOA travel card with the preferred rewards that nets me 2.625% back toward travel expenses.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
Assuming 1 point is redeemed for $.01 airfare, 30% rebate would net $0.014+ per point.
This is structured a little bit differently than Citi Prestige correct? I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the wording.

For example, if I want to book a $500 flight on American, I would need to have 50,000 points in my MR account and then have 15,000 credited back. As opposed to TY points, I would only need to have 31,250 points. Or even on Chase's end, I can get away with having less points since it's a bump up instead of a rebate.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:30 pm
mia

Originally Posted by CaroPalms
...to book a $500 flight on American, I would need to have 50,000 points in my MR account and then have 15,000 credited back
Correct, which means your net redemption would be 35,000 points, $0.0142857 per point, but it hooks you into continuing in the program.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
Correct, which means your net redemption would be 35,000 points, $0.0142857 per point, but it hooks you into continuing in the program.
I was curious as to why not just do the bump up like Chase or Citi, but an incentive to keep you in the program makes sense.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:53 am

do people really dump their points for that cheap, willingly?

even when i'm in the pinch i'd rather spend $ than redeem for anything below 2 cents/mile.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
I got this today, and it's for the business Centurion:

No images? Please view in your browser for the full experience.

Hello
Account ending in -XXXXX

We are pleased to announce that, beginning July 1, 2015, you will get 30% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. No enrollment is required. There are no blackout dates or seat restrictions, and you can still earn frequent flyer miles when using Membership Rewards points. To take advantage of this benefit, simply book your flight using the American Express Travel site or by calling Centurion Travel Service.

Look for full terms and conditions from American Express on July 1, 2015 when this benefit becomes available.

Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Add Us to Your Address Book

Your Card Member information is included above to help you recognize this as a customer service e-mail from American Express. To learn more about e-mail security or report a suspicious e-mail, please visit us at americanexpress.com/phishing. We kindly ask you not to reply to this e-mail but instead contact us via Customer Service.

Terms and Conditions

1. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice.

The value of Membership Rewards points varies according to how you choose to use them. To learn more about point value, go to www.membershiprewards.com/pointsinfo.

2. To use Pay with Points, you must charge your eligible purchase through American Express Travel to a Membership Rewards® program-enrolled American Express® Card. Eligible purchases exclude car reservations, non-prepaid hotels, and Fine Hotels & Resorts and The Hotel Collection bookings. Points will be debited from your Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to the American Express Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on the American Express Card account. Minimum redemption 5,000 points. See membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards program terms and conditions.

If a charge for a purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Linked Account (for example, the Extended Payment Option), the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead the statement credit may be applied to your Pay in Full balance. If you believe this has occurred, please contact us by calling the number on the back of your Card.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. acts solely as sales agent for travel suppliers and is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. We want you to be aware that certain suppliers pay us commissions and other incentives for reaching sales targets or other goals, and may also provide incentives to our travel counselors. For more information please visit www.americanexpress.com/travelterms.

California CST#1022318, Washington UBI#600-469-694, Iowa TA#002, Nevada NV#2001-0126.

© 2015 American Express Bank, FSB. All rights reserved.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by SJLandsverk
I got this today, and it's for the business Centurion:

No images? Please view in your browser for the full experience.

Hello
Account ending in -XXXXX

We are pleased to announce that, beginning July 1, 2015, you will get 30% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. No enrollment is required. There are no blackout dates or seat restrictions, and you can still earn frequent flyer miles when using Membership Rewards points. To take advantage of this benefit, simply book your flight using the American Express Travel site or by calling Centurion Travel Service.

Look for full terms and conditions from American Express on July 1, 2015 when this benefit becomes available.
Got this as well.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: N/A
Anyone get the centurion banner that's only a plat member? I requested to be put on the invite list so that may matter?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP;SPG Gold; Priority Club Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JBG89
Anyone get the centurion banner that's only a plat member? I requested to be put on the invite list so that may matter?
I am a Business Plat and had the Centurion Banner as well. Cant tell that my account has been changed. Maybe I will call later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.