Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Effective June 2017 the USA Business Platinum airfare Pay-with-Points refund was reduced to 35%. This brings the net value to $0.0153 per point, essentially the same as Chase Sapphire Reserve's Pay-with-Points redemption rate.

USA Business Centurion cardholders will continue to receive a 50% refund. The Centurion version is also broader than the Platinum benefit:

Centurion: beginning October 6, 2016 you will get 50% Membership Rewards® points back when you use the Pay with Points feature for all or part of a flight on any airline. The maximum rebate per calendar year for Centurion members is (_______?)

Platinum: Business Platinum Card Members will receive 5 extra points for every 10 points they redeem for either a First or Business class flight on any airline, or for flights with their selected qualifying airline using Membership Rewards Pay with Points with American Express Travel (35% Airline Bonus). The maximum rebate per calendar year for Business Platinum Card Members is 1,000,000 points.

FAQ

Q1. How does the process work?

A1. Here is an example, buying a $1,000.00 ticket:
  • $1,000 charged to American Express card [Day 1]
  • 100,000 Membership Rewards points redeemed [Day 1]
  • $1,000 credited to American Express card [Day 2]
  • _35,000 Membership Rewards points returned [~a month later]
  • Net: $1,000 ticket for 65,000 points = $0.0154/point

Q2. Must the Business Centurion or Platinum card be used to purchase the ticket?

A2. When the benefit was refreshed in October 2016 you could pay with any card linked to the same Membership Rewards account, but it appears this changed in April 2017.

Q3. Will I earn Membership Rewards points on the purchase price?

A3. You will not earn base points, but you may earn bonus points if you pay with a card that awards a bonus for airline ticket purchases, such as Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Business Rewards Gold, Premier Rewards Gold.

Q4. What happens if I cancel the ticket?

A4. There are mixed reports, but in most examples the cost of the ticket is refunded (a second time) to the card account. In one example American Express refunded the remainder of the points instead. If you prefer the points refunded rather than a cash credit, phone into AMEX and they will restore the points and remove the credit.

Q5. Can this benefit be combined with the International Airline Program companion ticket?

A5. One poster was told no, but another was able to do so.

Print Wikipost

Pay-with-Points flights. BUSINESS Centurion 50% refund, Plat 35%, Gold 25% (2015-23)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Morning All - so just to state the obvious, as long as your profile has a Business Platinum (or Business Centurion) associated with it, the 35% MR rebate will apply for applicable tickets purchased through AX's travel portal even if the charge & credit are not put on the Business Platinum (or Business Centurion) card?
Your post ended in a question mark, so I'm not sure if you're "stating the obvious" or asking.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:13 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by akcae
Your post ended in a question mark, so I'm not sure if you're "stating the obvious" or asking.
I would be asking a question.

Will the 35% MR rebate will apply for applicable tickets purchased through AX's travel portal even if the charge & credit are not put on the Business Platinum (or Business Centurion) card?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:53 am

I would be asking a question.

Will the 35% MR rebate will apply for applicable tickets purchased through AX's travel portal even if the charge & credit are not put on the Business Platinum (or Business Centurion) card?
Yes, if you hold the Biz Plat you will get the 35% rebate even if you use another card. Note, that you must book economy tickets with your selected airline in order to qualify for the 35% rebate. This is easy to forget.

My personal experience has been that using the Biz Plat earned zero net MR points whereas using the regular Plat netted 4 points per dollar spent on said airfare.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by holyPockets
Yes, if you hold the Biz Plat you will get the 35% rebate even if you use another card. Note, that you must book economy tickets with your selected airline in order to qualify for the 35% rebate. This is easy to forget.

My personal experience has been that using the Biz Plat earned zero net MR points whereas using the regular Plat netted 4 points per dollar spent on said airfare.
An unknown, to me anyway, plus to hold both personal and business platinum cards. But do I want to hold both just for this one feature? Decisions...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by robchow
.... do I want to hold both just for this one feature? .....
There are enough differences between Personal and Business Platinum that you could probably assign some of the cost to other features.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:02 pm

An unknown, to me anyway, plus to hold both personal and business platinum cards. But do I want to hold both just for this one feature? Decisions...
With the Biz Plat, each MR point is worth $1/65 when redeemed for airfare which triggers the 35% rebate. With the Biz Plat AND the regular Plat, each MR point is worth $1/61 if used similarly while selecting the regular Plat during the check-out process. You would have to redeem ≈ 347,000 MR per year in this manner to offset the net $350 regular Plat annual fee. Less, obviously, if you calculate the net annual fee to be less than $350.

Incidentally, a Premier Rewards Gold (3x MR on airfare) requires redeeming ≈ 195,000 MR per year in such manner to offset its net $95 annual fee. You can also use the Blue Business Plus ($0 annual fee!!!) to earn 1 net MR point if you select it during the check-out process.
robchow likes this.

Last edited by holyPockets; Sep 10, 2018 at 3:11 pm Reason: replaced ¢ with $
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:23 pm

with the Schwab $200, Uber $200, and Saks $100 making the personal a no brainer, i approach the matter from the other end if the $250 net biz plat fee is worth it for the ability to redeem points at $1/61 rate for paid biz tickets vs. $1/100. so, the breakeven is then about 40K redeemed points annually in paid biz to keep the biz plat. it’s actually quite a bit lower as i get $100 in value for the gogo passes and a retention bonus every other year worth ~$200.
jeepie, holyPockets and robchow like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
with the Schwab $200, Uber $200, and Saks $100 making the personal a no brainer, i approach the matter from the other end if the $250 net biz plat fee is worth it for the ability to redeem points at $1/61 rate for paid biz tickets vs. $1/100. so, the breakeven is then about 40K redeemed points annually in paid biz to keep the biz plat. it’s actually quite a bit lower as i get $100 in value for the gogo passes and a retention bonus every other year worth ~$200.
It's even more than 40,000 MRs because the Schwab Plat makes each point worth $0.0125 so I think the breakeven becomes more than 60K.
Colin and jeepie like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:41 pm

why yes, i did just check and can convert amex points into cash in Schwab account at the rate of $1/80.
wonder if AMEX would send me a 1099-MISC though?

Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:55 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Downside to holding both cards: $1,000 (or $1,000 - $200 - $200 = $600, if you want to back out airline fee rebates at a $1:$1 ratio) annual fees.

Why?

Personal Plat AX - 5x on any airline purchase. Lucky enough to handle the ticketing for the majority of my family and friends. Best month this year for me was north of $50k in airfares (although that was particularly high - generally it's a bit more down to earth).

Business Plat AX - 35% rebate on front cabin fares on any carrier, if booked through AX. FWIW I'll max out the 500k MR rebate this year. If AX allowed aggregation across all their products I'd qualify for the 1M threshold, but as I understand it only spend on the biz plat counts towards that and that's going to be a high bar for me to reach.

Many thanks - last night AX sent an auto-email confirming the eligibility for the 35% rebate.

FWIW it was a discount front-cabin domestic fare operated by an airline other than my selected -for purposes of the fee rebate- airline.

why yes, i did just check and can convert amex points into cash in Schwab account at the rate of $1/80.
wonder if AMEX would send me a 1099-MISC though?
Reports indicate they will not.

...although Schwab will shut you down if you pump-n-dump enough MR > brokerage > cash outs. Heads up.
holyPockets and robchow like this.

Last edited by J.Edward; Sep 10, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There are enough differences between Personal and Business Platinum that you could probably assign some of the cost to other features.
Yes, but there are loads of overlap too.

With the Biz Plat, each MR point is worth $1/65 when redeemed for airfare which triggers the 35% rebate. With the Biz Plat AND the regular Plat, each MR point is worth $1/61 if used similarly while selecting the regular Plat during the check-out process. You would have to redeem ≈ 347,000 MR per year in this manner to offset the net $350 regular Plat annual fee. Less, obviously, if you calculate the net annual fee to be less than $350.

Incidentally, a Premier Rewards Gold (3x MR on airfare) requires redeeming ≈ 195,000 MR per year in such manner to offset its net $95 annual fee. You can also use the Blue Business Plus ($0 annual fee!!!) to earn 1 net MR point if you select it during the check-out process.
Downside to holding both cards: $1,000 (or $1,000 - $200 - $200 = $600, if you want to back out airline fee rebates at a $1:$1 ratio) annual fees.

Why?

Personal Plat AX - 5x on any airline purchase. Lucky enough to handle the ticketing for the majority of my family and friends. Best month this year for me was north of $50k in airfares (although that was particularly high - generally it's a bit more down to earth).

Business Plat AX - 35% rebate on front cabin fares on any carrier, if booked through AX. FWIW I'll max out the 500k MR rebate this year. If AX allowed aggregation across all their products I'd qualify for the 1M threshold, but as I understand it only spend on the biz plat counts towards that and that's going to be a high bar for me to reach.
These two posts got me thinking in 2-player mode (wife and I): it might be beneficial that one of us hold both Biz and Personal Platinum to utilize the combine benefits as oppose to each of us holding the other opposite card. Just may the other an AU.

It's even more than 40,000 MRs because the Schwab Plat makes each point worth $0.0125 so I think the breakeven becomes more than 60K.
Schwab is my plan for long term hold (after collecting signup bonuses from the various flavors) as I do meet the Schwab credit; not the $200 but $100.

...although Schwab will shut you down if you pump-n-dump enough MR > brokerage > cash outs. Heads up.
Wow, Schwab will do that?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Wow, Schwab will do that?
Yes, if you abuse their offerings too much. FWIW, Amex will also claw back ALL of your points if they think sme were awarded improperly. I've had that happen.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:57 pm

Newbie question here, Mod please move as appropriate. Have Biz Plat and just got Schwab Plat (haven’t selected airline for 2018 yet). I want to book LAX-PPT for next summer, and Air Tahiti Nui looks best for our schedule, probably Premium Economy (maybe Biz) on new 787. Have plenty of points (also plenty of Chase UR points which could be used on any airline, any class @$.015). Is there a good option with AmEx? Perhaps Pay with Points, IAP, use the Schwab for 5x? I haven’t called AmEx yet and don’t even know if it’s better to call Personal or Biz Travel line. Tia.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:57 pm

I booked a first class ticket with pay with points, Business AMEX platinum. The MR points were deducted from my account, paying for my ticket. If I understand correctly, if I cancel the ticket, the price of the ticket will be refunded to my account. Question: will the 35% bonus/rebate show up in my account a month after purchase? Or do they not award the 35% because I have canceled the ticket? Anyone with experience in this?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by pedunc
... If I understand correctly, if I cancel the ticket, the price of the ticket will be refunded to my account. Question: will the 35% bonus/rebate show up in my account a month after purchase? Or do they not award the 35% because I have canceled the ticket? Anyone with experience in this?
It will depend on the fare rules if and how much of the original purchase price is refundable. You should've received those details at some point during the purchase. As far as the 35% point rebate, the month delay was introduced specifically to prevent the scenario you described. So I'm fairly confident that you will not get that rebate after cancelling the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.