Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by josephstern
Wait - OMAAT was once near bankruptcy? Details please.
Not sure if you’re serious but good to see that you’re always thinking Frequent Flyer. Ford Motor Company not Ford at OMAAT.

(Unbelievable that people actually believed that "Ford has a better idea" when they had the exact same ideas as every other car manufacturer.)
josephstern likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Not sure if you’re serious but good to see that you’re always thinking Frequent Flyer. Ford Motor Company not Ford at OMAAT.

(Unbelievable that people actually believed that "Ford has a better idea" when they had the exact same ideas as every other car manufacturer.)
Wow. My bad. Wrong context completely. Never heard that Ford Motor slogan. With all the talk about blogs here . . .
Old Oct 28, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by josephstern
... Never heard that Ford Motor slogan. . . .
(Sorry for the OT, hope it's educational and enlightening.)

I guess we’re both dating ourselves. “In the late 1960s, Ford tried to rally baby boomers around the slogan, “Ford has a better idea,” using the image of a lightbulb to signal inspiration instead of the “o” in Ford.”

josephstern likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Is it usual for there be different SUB for the Schwab card versus the regular Plat?

In comparing, being offered 150,000 points for regular and only 100,000 for Schwab.
And the Schwab doesn't show up as an option for cards on the Amex site for me, only on the Schwab site.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Is it usual for there be different SUB for the Schwab card versus the regular Plat?

In comparing, being offered 150,000 points for regular and only 100,000 for Schwab.
And the Schwab doesn't show up as an option for cards on the Amex site for me, only on the Schwab site.
Yes, Schwab SUB is often less than that for the regular Amex plat.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:30 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by FreFly
True. But back when SUB for regular Amex Plat was routinely 60K/75K and occasionally 100K, there were reports of people being targeted with 100K offers. I wonder if there will be targeted offers of 125K/150K on the Schwab version at some point.

LAX
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FreFly
Originally Posted by LAX
True. But back when SUB for regular Amex Plat was routinely 60K/75K and occasionally 100K, there were reports of people being targeted with 100K offers. I wonder if there will be targeted offers of 125K/150K on the Schwab version at some point.

LAX
Thanks both. Thinking about the Schwab card as a method to cash in some points. Already have accounts there, but don't want to miss out on "free" points. Will wait a bit and see if any better offer pops up.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Is there any good reason NOT to choose the Schwab branded platinum card over the standard Platinum Amex if I have assets with Schwab that would qualify me for $100 based on AUM? Is there anything that the regular platinum Amex would give me that the Schwab branded version does not?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ziggy29
Is there any good reason NOT to choose the Schwab branded platinum card over the standard Platinum Amex if I have assets with Schwab that would qualify me for $100 based on AUM? Is there anything that the regular platinum Amex would give me that the Schwab branded version does not?
Having had both cards a few years ago, “no” and “no”.

If you have any appetite for even the mildest of churning you could plan on both. Apply for one, get the SUB, keep it until 29 days after the AF posts, cancel, apply for the other. For SUB purposes, they are considered “different” products.
ziggy29 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:50 pm

The standard vanilla Platinum can be product-changed to a gold or green card in the future, and, it also offers, based on previous data points, better retention offers if you decide to close it. However, if I was in your position, I'd get Schwab. not only for the $100 asset-based discount, but also for the ability to cash out points at 1.1 cents. Grab the sign up bonus. You can always get the vanilla Platinum in the future. Good Luck.
ziggy29 likes this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Jan 13, 2023 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
The standard vanilla Platinum can be product-changed to a gold or green card in the future, and, it also offers, based on previous data points, better retention offers if you decide to close it. However, if I was in your position, I'd get Schwab. not only for the $100 asset-based discount, but also for the ability to cash out points at 1.1 cents. Grab the sign up bonus. You can always get the vanilla Platinum in the future. Good Luck.
Thanks, was actually thinking about getting a Platinum and an extra Gold card for my wife as an authorized user (at no extra charge). That way we have all the travel (and other) perks of the Platinum and all the restaurant and grocery perks of the Gold. The only (small) downside is after January 31 she would have to pay for lounge access, but I think between $175 for an AU on Platinum and the extra savings from buying food on the Gold Card, that lounge entry fee would be worth eating a couple times a year.

The way I see it, if I structure spending to hit the 100,000 MR points ($6k spend in 6 months), that is basically $1,100 back (at 1.1 cents per MR) on a $695 annual fee, and I am “playing with house money” for a year to decide if I want to keep it.

Last edited by ziggy29; Jan 13, 2023 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:48 pm

That way we have all the travel (and other) perks of the Platinum and all the restaurant and grocery perks of the Gold.
The gold-colored no cost Platinum AU card is "fool's gold" - it has the same earning rate as the Platinum (1x on everything but airfare), and the only new credit/feature it gains is another Precheck/GlobalEntry credit for that card.

If you want the restaurant or grocery 4x earning rate, you need to pay $250/year for an actual Gold card account.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
The gold-colored no cost Platinum AU card is "fool's gold" - it has the same earning rate as the Platinum (1x on everything but airfare), and the only new credit/feature it gains is another Precheck/GlobalEntry credit for that card.

If you want the restaurant or grocery 4x earning rate, you need to pay $250/year for an actual Gold card account.
Ah. Sounded too good to be true, anyway. I have a 1.5x cash back card from my credit union (no AF) that already has the Precheck reimbursement, so no value added there. And I already have another no-fee branded Amex that gives 3x on dining and 2x on groceries, so probably not worth $250 a year there, either.

Last edited by ziggy29; Jan 13, 2023 at 1:55 pm
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
For the Schwab card, if I am understanding what you've said correctly, there is no downgrade path at all, is that correct? You either have to keep as is or close it? Thanks! Also, for retention offers on the Schwab card, do you know if we could just chat through the regular AMEX channels or would it be through Schwab agents?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by charmed18
For the Schwab card, if I am understanding what you've said correctly, there is no downgrade path at all, is that correct? You either have to keep as is or close it? Thanks! Also, for retention offers on the Schwab card, do you know if we could just chat through the regular AMEX channels or would it be through Schwab agents?
Correct, the Schwab Platinum has no downgrade path. It's either keep it or close it. Unfortunate, because I would've considered changing to another gold card. Just to be clear, I only canceled because I also had the co-branded Morgan Stanley Platinum. I like having the free authorized user benefit, but actually prefer Schwab brokerage over MS, so if MS ever terminates their relationship with Amex, I'd reconsider Schwab, though probably get the vanilla, for the signup bonus as I've never had it.

Back in 2021, I was still on the $550 annual fee, with around $2000 annual spend. I called the number on the back of my Schwab card and was ultimately offered 20,000 MR points with zero spend. It was an easy decision to keep it for another year, but in 2022 I was at the $695 fee, with around $1000 annual spend. Called to cancel and was offered zilch.

As far as I know, Amex doesn't have special Schwab Platinum reps, so I don't think it matters how you contact them. In fact, when I called to cancel Schwab, I actually used the number on the back of my MS Plat, since that was the one I had with me.

The biggest drawback of all the co-branded Plats is the inability to downgrade. I know my annual spend is on the low end, so I'm sure that contributed to my modest retention offers, but I've followed the vanilla Platinum thread and it seems as if signup bonuses and retention offers are more lucrative all around. I don't know if Amex Offers vary from one Platinum to another. When I had MS and Schwab, my offers seemed identical.
charmed18 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.