Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You may find this page helpful: https://www.schwab.com/credit-cards/eligible-account
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Thanks. This kind of answers #2. Brokerage is required to maintain Schwab Plat, while cash out is to checking. Easy way is to maintain both.

Further confirmation to #1 (no minimum bal for checking or brokerage) is helpful. I remember someone got their checking closed for inactivity, so I'll be sure to generate an activity once a year (at least). Do I need to do the same for brokerage?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by United747
...I think you’re required to have both - if you close one, the other is too?
Checking is not needed for CS-Plat. It's just a great free feature with many benefits.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by italdesign
Thanks. This kind of answers #2. Brokerage is required to maintain Schwab Plat, while cash out is to checking. Easy way is to maintain both.

Further confirmation to #1 (no minimum bal for checking or brokerage) is helpful. I remember someone got their checking closed for inactivity, so I'll be sure to generate an activity once a year (at least). Do I need to do the same for brokerage?
Cash out for me is to my Schwab One (brokerage) account. I don't have a Schwab checking account, but I can write checks on my Schwab One account.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Cash out from AMEX is to brokerage account, after which you may transfer within your Schwab accounts from brokerage to checking.
SpaethCo and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
That's good to know. Any minimum balance or activity needed to keep Brokerage open?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:07 am

That's good to know. Any minimum balance or activity needed to keep Brokerage open?
No. Generally, what I'd do is open a Brokerage along with an accompanying CMA, and then fund it with $25; oh, look to see if there's a $100 opening bonus. While this isn't necessary, in mine, I just have some buy & hold stuff that spits out a dividend. The CMA is very useful for ATMs since they'll reimburse all fees.
italdesign likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:55 pm

Do you have to fund your Schwab account(s) prior to applying for Schwab Plat?

That is to say can you apply with newly opened Schwab brokerage & checking accounts that still have $0 balances?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:07 am

mster yes, that was my experience two-ish years back. Signed up for a Schwab brokerage account, applied for the CS Platinum, and was approved all in the same day. Funded the account thereafter and began dumping my MR in month by month...

That still appears to very much be the case. Schwab has an FAQ page which answers this, quoted below...

Who is eligible to apply?

Individuals 18 years of age or over with a valid U.S. home address (including in the U.S. territories and Puerto Rico) and an eligible Schwab account may apply for a Card account.

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor.
No dollar value attached to the definition of "eligible account", so you should be good to go!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
mster yes, that was my experience two-ish years back. Signed up for a Schwab brokerage account, applied for the CS Platinum, and was approved all in the same day. Funded the account thereafter and began dumping my MR in month by month...

That still appears to very much be the case. Schwab has an FAQ page which answers this, quoted below...

No dollar value attached to the definition of "eligible account", so you should be good to go!
Got it - so effectively all you need is a Schwab login.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:08 pm

Is the Schwab Appreciation Bonus (the $100 or $200 annual credit based on assets at Schwab) delayed for everyone recently?
Last year, mine posted on Feb 3; this year it hasn't posted yet (my annual fee posted on Feb 18). I saw another similar data point on reddit (his annual fee posted a few weeks before mine, so his delay seems even longer).
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77
Is the Schwab Appreciation Bonus (the $100 or $200 annual credit based on assets at Schwab) delayed for everyone recently?
Last year, mine posted on Feb 3; this year it hasn't posted yet (my annual fee posted on Feb 18). I saw another similar data point on reddit (his annual fee posted a few weeks before mine, so his delay seems even longer).
Somewhat related question, but is the 250k/1m requirement a snapshot at a certain time (maybe on the card anniversary date)? Or is it an average across the previous year?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SansSerif
Somewhat related question, but is the 250k/1m requirement a snapshot at a certain time (maybe on the card anniversary date)? Or is it an average across the previous year?
It’s a snapshot, they just look at your holdings on one specific date.

Your Qualifying Schwab Holdings will be measured (a) within five business days of Card account approval and (b) on the first calendar day of your annual Card account renewal month (each date, a "Measurement Date"). If on a Measurement Date your Qualifying Schwab Holdings are: (i) equal to or greater than $250,000 and less than $1,000,000, you will receive a $100 Card statement credit; or (ii) equal to or greater than $1,000,000, you will receive a $200 Card statement credit.
SansSerif and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:44 am

Do you need to actually fund your schwab account prior to applying?

Or is the only thing that you need in practice a proper Schwab login so that you can access the Schwab Plat application? That is to say can you setup a Schwab account, skip funding it (leave at $0) and still apply and be approved for the Schwab Plat?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 11:12 am

mster you already asked that question above, I already answered it, and you already acknowledged that answer... the answer (again) is you do not need to fund your Schwab account prior to approval.
mster likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.