Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is evidence that American Express treats Everyday and Everyday Preferred as the same product for bonus purposes if the applications are submitted within a ~12 month period, but not enough reports to say that 12 months is a bright line.

There is also some evidence that American Express now treats standard and Ameriprise Platinum as the same product, but also evidence that they do not.

American Express practice often deviates from written policy, usually in the customers' favor. American Express could treat some or all versions of Platinum as the same product for application bonus purposes. The fact that they have not done this in the past could have been due to agreements with their co-brand partners -or- a technological limitation. They now have a tool that evaluates bonus eligibility in real time, and past results may no longer tell us what to expect.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:17 am

So I guess I'd better to wait until the standard Platinum 100k shows up
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:08 am
mia

Originally Posted by ykycredit
So I guess I'd better to wait until the standard Platinum 100k shows up
Business Platinum 100k offer available now.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:13 am

Business card is a risk to an individual and is not citizen right? LoL
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:39 pm

Redeeming thru Schwab with Regular Amex Possible?

Is redeeming MR through Schwab without the AMEX Schwab Card possible?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:04 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ruthlesz
Short answer: yes, no.

Long answer: if you have a Schwab Plat AX linked to your Membership Reward account, you can redeem Membership Reward points through Schwab's Invest With Rewards program.

This means if you've got points in your MR account, regardless of the source, you can redeem them through Schwab (edited to add: assuming you actually have a Schwab AX Plat.)

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 12, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ruthlesz
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: if you have a Schwab Plat AX linked to your Membership Reward account, you can redeem Membership Reward points through Schwab's Invest With Rewards program.

This means if you've got points in your MR account, regardless of the source, you can redeem them through Schwab.
So "no", then.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:30 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
So "no", then.
Yup - missed the "without" part.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:19 am

Related question - is redeeming to schwab a good value? Its 1.25 .... and I suppose one can get a higher value if they get some aspirational trips by transfering points (but that has its own issues with award availability, plus the fact that cash is king).

Would folks suggest a full schwab cashout in general or something one shouldn't even consider? We do travel very frequently, but have healthy AA/Alaska/Avios/Delta balances already (all approx 100k-200k each for me and partner).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Related question - is redeeming to schwab a good value? Its 1.25 .... and I suppose one can get a higher value if they get some aspirational trips by transfering points (but that has its own issues with award availability, plus the fact that cash is king).

Would folks suggest a full schwab cashout in general or something one shouldn't even consider? We do travel very frequently, but have healthy AA/Alaska/Avios/Delta balances already (all approx 100k-200k each for me and partner).
I think of the 1.25 cpp feature as "point value insurance" in the event I don't fly as often, but I would discourage you from cashing them out unless you're very, very confident you won't be short of miles.

Of course, if you won't need the miles for several years, then cashing them out can be good so they can accumulate interest or some investment return.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:52 pm

AMEX Platinum Questions

I have held the AMEX Platinum vanilla now for 2 years. I am interested in applying for the AMEX Schwab as I have checking account and brokerage account with them and also to get the 60k bonus.

Questions:

Should I product change the AMEX platinum to something else to avoid the annual fee coming in January?
or
Should I apply for the AMEX Schwab Platinum and then product change the vanilla Platinum?

2. Should I wait until the very beginning for the annual travel credits to be issued and then downgrade?

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:57 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jgrossman2
Should I product change the AMEX platinum to something else to avoid the annual fee ....!
Platinum is a charge card. Charge cards cannot be changed to credit cards, only to another charge card. There is no "free" charge card. You can change to Green ($95) or Gold ($250).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:05 pm

Thank you. I have the gold card already, so perhaps the green, or maybe close. But what do you think makes the most sense with regards to applying for the Schwab?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:07 pm
mia

What is the perceived benefit of changing to a Green card, rather than closing? This account has no bearing on your ability to open the Schwab Platinum card.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:08 pm

I guess there is no benefit other than possibly lowering my average age of credit if I close the card...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.