Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goodeats21
After being announced in early 2015, the long rumored Schwab American Express were available for application on March 21, 2016. Both cards require you to have an eligible Schwab brokerage account in order to apply. From the Schwab website:
An eligible brokerage account means a Schwab One® Account or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee. Eligibility is subject to change.
Update June 2018 on eligible Schwab account per the Schwab website:

An eligible account means (1) a Schwab One® or Schwab General Brokerage Account held in your name or in the name of a revocable living trust where you are the grantor and trustee or (2) a Schwab Traditional, Roth or Rollover IRA that is not managed by an independent investment advisor pursuant to a direct contractual relationship between you and such independent advisor. Eligibility is subject to change.
Note that if you are not currently a Schwab Customer, you can still get these cards by opening the Schwab Brokerage Account. To do so, a hard pull is required and most report that pull is with Equifax. There is a $1000 minimum investment to open the brokerage account, but if you open a linked high-yield investor checking account with the brokerage account, the balance requirements are waived.

Schwab Investor Card
This is card is basically a straight 1.5% cashback back card where you cash back can be deposited straight into your Schwab Brokerage Account. You can then choose to either invest money or transfer the cash to another account.

Schwab Platinum Card
This has all the benefits of the standard American Express Platinum Card with two notable advantages:
  • You have the ability to cash out membership rewards at a rate of 1.10 cpp [changed from initial 1.25 at inception] into the brokerage account. This is called "Invest with Rewards". There is a separate thread debating the advantages and disadvantages of doing this. You can invest the cash or transfer out of Schwab.
  • There is an appreciation bonus in the form of a statement credit if you have significant assets with Schwab (essentially a discount on the annual fee). If you have $250k-$1M, you get a $100 statement credit. If you have $1M+ you get a $200 statement credit. More details are here: http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...r_faq_platinum

Link to Charles Schwab card information. Scroll down to read FAQ or to apply:

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...s/credit_cards

Print Wikipost

American Express to Partner with Schwab. Applications online 3.21.2016.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by motherfluffer
Is the card serviced through americanexpress.com? Can that be added to the wiki?
Yes, it's a bog-standard Platinum card except for adding the rebate-to-Schwab feature and the relationship bonus. The Schwab site/app will show you the total balance on your Plat, but only after you log in with Amex and grant permission for that feature.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:48 am

I transferred MR->$4000 to Schwab and it did not appear on the 1099 that became available today.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by sparviero
I transferred MR->$4000 to Schwab and it did not appear on the 1099 that became available today.
great. Thanks a lot buddy for DP
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:49 pm

I could not find a definitive answer by reading this thread. Is the first authorized user card free with Schwab Amex Platinum?

P
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by peterrudy
I could not find a definitive answer by reading this thread. Is the first authorized user card free with Schwab Amex Platinum?

P
The only AU option is for platinum (green/gold not available). When I signed up last month it stated $175/3 per usual platinum AU
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by sparviero
Might sound dumb but just to confirm, this $4k redemption was done in 2016 correct? Thanks for your data point!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
My confirmation.

Redemption Certificate Number
Points Used 100000

Points used will be immediately deducted by American Express from your Membership Rewards account. Charles Schwab will deposit associated funds into your chosen eligible brokerage account1 within 4 to 6 business days, excluding bank holidays. Points are not refundable once redeemed.

For questions about the funds deposit, please call Schwab at (800) 435-4000.

Regardless of what the amex supervisor said, your point 1 is just not true in practice. Did it multiple more time after that; all went through just fine. Guess I'll find out about 2 next year.
Any 1099 issued for 2016?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by LiarsDice
Might sound dumb but just to confirm, this $4k redemption was done in 2016 correct? Thanks for your data point!

Yes, around September 2016. Got all my 1099s: INT, B, DIV, etc and I did not find any of the MR transfer on there after examining carefully and doing my taxes.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by LiarsDice
Any 1099 issued for 2016?
Nothing from amex redemption.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:41 am

Redeemed ~300k MR, no 1099.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:53 pm

Has anyone with frozen MR points been able to successfully cash out through Schwab while still "frozen"? Because it seems you can still use the points to book travel, etc, I'm wondering if this would work considering its not a transfer, but rather a redemption.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of refreshed Platinum card is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...fee-550-a.html
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:58 am

Pretty happy with how quick the appreciation bonus posted.
T&C's state 6 to 8 weeks, but mine posted within 4 days of card activation.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: All of the Above
After everyone mentioned no 1099's last year, I got this card and was trying to redeem some points, but it keeps giving me an error when I click redeem. Is there something I'm not doing right?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DavidAL
After everyone mentioned no 1099's last year, I got this card and was trying to redeem some points, but it keeps giving me an error when I click redeem. Is there something I'm not doing right?
I'm having the same issue. You may want to check the thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-issues.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.