Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is coming June 28, 2015? [Revised redemption chart]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is coming June 28, 2015? [Revised redemption chart]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Today, I see additional information which mentions three redemption values which change at the end of June, further devaluing points if used for hotels, cruises or hotel packages, The other options, such as gift cards, are already offered and have been available for a long while.
Why is Amex lowering redemption values? How does this attract or keep customers? Any theories?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
Why is Amex lowering redemption values? How does this attract or keep customers? Any theories?
It doesn't attract or keep customers, it lowers their expenses. Prepaid cruises/hotels & vacations are expensive for American Express because they are basically paying 1 penny a point for those redemptions. It's also probably expensive to manage (e.g you're acting as a travel agent as well)

They can purchase gift cards at a deep discount, which is why they are upping the value when cardholders redeem for those options.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
... Prepaid cruises/hotels & vacations are expensive for American Express because they are basically paying 1 penny a point for those redemptions. It's also probably expensive to manage.
I do see this with cruises and packaged vacations, but not with prepaid hotel nights, which they buy at a substantial discount and which should not involve much hand-holding.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I haven't found any thread in regard to this:

My current statement has a page insert that says that I can "... learn about upcoming changes going into effect on June 28 by visiting www.membershiprewards ....". So far as I can find, the page that I am directed to has no information about changes coming June 28. Does anybody know what those changes are going to be?
This seems to cry out for one of those stupid class action lawsuits where you get a 10 cent settlement but the lawyers make out like bandits.

I got the same notice and Amex shows me my points. I have to really look very hard to click on the various sections and then find the find print as has been listed in the other postings in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.