Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks so much everyone, especially @mia for the great advice and preventing me from doing something stupid! Ironically, the ED is one I'll likely keep in my wallet as every time I whip out my CSP for groceries I think "there's gotta be a better way." Unfortunately, most of my grocery spend happens at Costco.

@philemer
Yes, I came quite close to actually using KF for an award redemption to Hawaii 2 days ago (35k on KF vs. 45k on MP). I ended up wanting an open jaw (coming back from OGG vs. HNL), stopover, and my final destination was different from origin. After a quick glance at the website, redeeming KF seemed like too much brain damage, so ended up going with MP which was 45k r/t. The whole process made me consider speculatively dumping MR.
- I do usually end up needing a domestic short haul to position my family for international travel from MCO. After reading the link @UpgradeMe pasted, I'll probably end up using my 25k MR windfall from the ED to "speculatively" transfer to Avios before the devaluation in October.

@UpgradeMe
Thanks, it seems like the consensus on that is KF or Avios

@garykung
- Infant awards: I had a very bad experience with this as I had to pay ~$800 for my infant as a lap child in a mixed cabin award from MCO-SFO-NRT-CTU/CTU-PEK-IAD-MCO. I spent over 20 hours on the phone (unfortunately not an exaggeration) trying remove my daughter from the SFO-NRT in First on NH. United supervisors were leaving me hanging for 1.5-2 hours at a time. I basically gave up on United after this until my wife and I both got bumped to business from K on a CDG-YYZ leg with AC. It was hilarious, because my wife's TV was broken the entire flight, and the flight attendant was very apologetic and gave us a voucher. My wife has no status at all, and AC ended up letting us trade in the voucher for "5% off next flight booked on Air Canada's website."
- I've had a tough time finding BR Hello Kitty awards from IAH-TPE unless the trip is less than 2 weeks out. I've been scouring the net, but can't find much detailed advice besides "go for the HKG-TPE" route, which is not so appealing to me. Would be very grateful if you can point me in the right direction. Might need to start a new thread..
- Thanks, I will play around with split tickets.
- I never even thought about YQ redemptions on KF, thanks for the heads up. BA YQ seems to be in your face on more of the blogs / forums.

Thanks again everyone!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by diamondvh
- I've had a tough time finding BR Hello Kitty awards from IAH-TPE unless the trip is less than 2 weeks out. I've been scouring the net, but can't find much detailed advice besides "go for the HKG-TPE" route, which is not so appealing to me. Would be very grateful if you can point me in the right direction. Might need to start a new thread..
I think I know why you can't find any award seats.

BR's B77W-HK (Hello Kitty) was used to position as TPE-LAX. BR has 3 daily TPE-LAX nonstop. Now BR sticks this B77W-HK to a new route, which began 3 months ago.

No wonder there is no award inventory.

Originally Posted by diamondvh
- I never even thought about YQ redemptions on KF, thanks for the heads up. BA YQ seems to be in your face on more of the blogs / forums.
KF miles are good if you redeem SQ premium only (given you will get a discount). Otherwise, KF is generally perceived the worst FFQ within *A.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks @garykung. Yes, BR has a Hello Kitty flight from IAH to TPE now. They seem to only show award inventory for close-in flights (Less than 1 week). I'm usually a budget traveler but definitely saving up for a premium SQ award.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:31 am

MR points "pending" for over 2 months

I have tried to transfer 220K MR points to Asia Miles. However, my first and last name were mixed up. I emailed Asia Miles and told them of the situation and they corrected the order of my name. Now that the error has been corrected Asia Miles asked that I resend the AMEX MR points. However, the MR points are still "pending" and have not returned to my AMEX account or gone through to my Asia Miles account

They have been pending for around 2 months. I have tried calling both Asia Miles and AMEX. Asia Miles says that there is nothing they can do on their side and AMEX is saying the same.

Any ideas on how I can get these miles to go through?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by j.pak.ksglobal
I have tried to transfer 220K MR points to Asia Miles. However, my first and last name were mixed up. I emailed Asia Miles and told them of the situation and they corrected the order of my name. Now that the error has been corrected Asia Miles asked that I resend the AMEX MR points. However, the MR points are still "pending" and have not returned to my AMEX account or gone through to my Asia Miles account

They have been pending for around 2 months. I have tried calling both Asia Miles and AMEX. Asia Miles says that there is nothing they can do on their side and AMEX is saying the same.

AMEX is bs'ing you. Tell them to get it done ASAP or you will call CFPB.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

I just checked their website:

https://www.americanexpress.com/nz/c...-partners.html

Looks like 1 MR == 0.5 asia miles only !

not 1:1 anymore?

Originally Posted by j.pak.ksglobal

Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:26 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyertalk2015
That is the chart for Membership Rewards New Zealand. If you are looking for the chart for cards issued in the USA, you should click here:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...sTransfer.aspx
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:58 pm

my Bad! sorry and apologies for wrong info.

Thanks Mia!

Originally Posted by mia
That is the chart for Membership Rewards New Zealand. If you are looking for the chart for cards issued in the USA, you should click here:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...sTransfer.aspx
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:52 pm

This is my first attempt at using Membership Rewards so I appreciate your patience. My husband and I are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Lima, Peru (from San Francisco). We'll be doing Macchu Picchu and some other stuff. Any advice on the best place to transfer the points? Should we wait for a bonus?

I have 180k points and my husband has 110k.

Thanks in advance! I have read some blogs and a lot of the threads on the topic but I still feel really stupid in regards to what I should do.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ksf45632
This is my first attempt at using Membership Rewards so I appreciate your patience. My husband and I are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Lima, Peru (from San Francisco). We'll be doing Macchu Picchu and some other stuff. Any advice on the best place to transfer the points? Should we wait for a bonus?

I have 180k points and my husband has 110k.

Thanks in advance! I have read some blogs and a lot of the threads on the topic but I still feel really stupid in regards to what I should do.
Are you hoping to travel in Coach, or in Business Class?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Coach, in June

Last edited by Moorea; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:01 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:32 am
Community Director Emerita

It's a tedious process. I just spent 15 minutes searching in an effort to be helpful and found a possibility using ANA miles. However, it needs more checking to see if it is a cost effective possibility. Here's the process I used;

Start with flights.google.com. Find out what airlines/alliances fly the route. I wasn't really keen on what I found and I know that LAN flies nonstop from LAX-LIM. I then focused on finding award seats using BA Avios. It's one of the few airlines that allow family accounts, thus pooling points. I checked about 14 of the outbound dates in June 2016 and didn't find coach award seats. The Avios program is very different than any other and I would not move MR points there unless you find award seats. It prices its awards by distance of segments.

You could sign up for awardnexus. There is a modest cost for using it. Look at the airlines flying the route and determine what alliance they are in. Then search for awards for those alliances. MR are limited as to where the points can be transferred, and you will need to familiarize yourself with the alliances in which those carriers participate. For the date I checked, it showed 2 coach as well as business seats available on Avianca using ANA miles. Business seats were available on Copa using ANA miles. If you transfer MR points to ANA, they will expire in 3 years. They charge significant fuel surcharges on some routes. I've found their agents very helpful. Before I moved points there, I'd call and ask them how many points/cash they charge to redeem for that specific route. Figure out how much it would cost in cash first to be sure that you are actually saving money by using points.

Edited to add:

I checked on the ANA website for award availabilty in June 2016. I found RT coach available for 50K points and 8270 yen (roughly $70). Business RT is 80K plus 8270 yen. You have to book RT when booking ANA awards. The ANA site notes that the partner awards will change on October 15.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 1, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by guv1976

Coach, in June
If you can find availability, SFO/SJC-LAX-LIM on AA/LA would cost 29,500 BA Avios one way if booked as two separate award redemptions. SFO/SJC-DFW-LIM on AA would cost 30,000 Avios. No surcharges on these redemptions. (And ba.com is not always successful at displaying LA award seats.)

Unfortunately, Amex just devalued their MR => BA exchange ratio today. You might want to wait to see if Amex offers a transfer bonus in the next few months, unless you can find a better deal with another transfer partner.

AA only charges 17,500 miles for these same redemptions -- also with no surcharges. So maybe consider getting a Citi/AA credit card with a big sign-up bonus.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:58 pm

Thank you, SanDiego1K and guv1976. You both were extremely helpful. I particularly liked how you revealed your search process so that I can replicate it! So nice of you both to take the time to help me out!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:41 am

It seems like the only good use for MR is airline miles but I fly standby so no use for miles. Was going to transfer to SPG but my 60k MR is only worth 20k spg. That would only get me rooms valued at about $400 so I just bought a bunch of gift cards worth $600. Not what I had in mind for the bonus but I wanted to use the MR before I cancel the cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.