Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Here is newbie question I have been reading the forum for a while now and trying to make sense of it all. I have over 600K points and would like to use them for travel. What are me best options? Traveling in December from DFW to DEL and return BOM to DFW. I am looking for 3 business class seats. Thought about buying economy on EK and upgrading afterwards? EK flies A380 from DFW I am guessing they could not be filling 60 business class seats every day. Looking for suggestions and any available options. I would like to thanks in advance for any help.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Tax on frequent flyer awards?

I did a search and didn't see any info on this, although maybe didn't use the right search terms. I have about 300k Amex miles I'd like to transfer to either Delta or Air Canada. Am I correct that you have to pay tax on frequent flyer miles now? And if so, does this only apply to US carriers or would I be exempt if I transferred to Air Canada. I was hoping to get something with Star Alliance, so looking to use Air Canada. Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCOGUY
Am I correct that you have to pay tax on frequent flyer miles now? And if so, does this only apply to US carriers or would I be exempt if I transferred to Air Canada.
AMEX charges a transfer tax when moving to domestic airlines. Foreign airlines are exempt just like your foreign bank accounts are exempt from tax!

Last edited by mia; Feb 26, 2015 at 7:26 am Reason: Formating
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by MCOGUY
I did a search and didn't see any info on this, although maybe didn't use the right search terms. I have about 300k Amex miles I'd like to transfer to either Delta or Air Canada. Am I correct that you have to pay tax on frequent flyer miles now? And if so, does this only apply to US carriers or would I be exempt if I transferred to Air Canada. I was hoping to get something with Star Alliance, so looking to use Air Canada. Thanks.
Not clear if you were already thinking this, but you should wait until you definitely know how you are going to use the miles before you make the transfer. If you have "linked" your Aeroplan and SkyMiles accounts to Amex by adding the account numbers on the Membership Rewards site, transfers are instant, so you can confirm Air Canada has availability when you want it first and then do the transfer.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:50 pm

Any idea when the next transfer bonus window will be? I got AMEX Platinum for the 100k sign on bonus, have used the $200 airline rebate, and thus have no real use for it anymore. BA seems to be the best transfer option but I'd like to get the bonus miles.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Notor
Any idea when the next transfer bonus window will be? I got AMEX Platinum for the 100k sign on bonus, have used the $200 airline rebate, and thus have no real use for it anymore. BA seems to be the best transfer option but I'd like to get the bonus miles.
Why not just open a no-fee Amex Everyday? Then you can cancel the Platinum and keep your MR points until you have a use for them (or until there's a transfer bonus, if you want).
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Notor
You should consider leaving it open until January 2016. You'll be able to qualify for an additional $200 airline credit at that point. When you cancel (or downgrade to the Everyday card), AMEX may refund a prorated amount of your $450 annual fee.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
How come I can't add Krisflyer as a transfer partner? When I click on "enroll" on the Amex website, it just takes me to the Singapore Airlines home page.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
When I click on "enroll" on the Amex website, it just takes me to the Singapore Airlines home page.
Wrong button. Enroll takes you to the partner's site to create an account. If you already have a KrisFlyer account you want to link it.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by mia
Wrong button. Enroll takes you to the partner's site to create an account. If you already have a KrisFlyer account you want to link it.
Oops... Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
My attempt to link my Aeroplan account has been stuck on "transfer in progress" for 48 hours now (this is just linking, not transferring actual points). Amex customer support, after 3 hours, has not been able to help, and instead cited that their Aeroplan liason says the servers are having issues.

My LH F seats I wanted have already disappeared.

Does anyone know what is going on / has had a similar issue?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:50 am

Question for the experts: I have accumulated almost a million MR points, never redeemed one. If I want to use my MR points to fly ATL-CUN (likely Delta, unless someone else flies direct), what would be the best redemption strategy?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by RBirns
Question for the experts: I have accumulated almost a million MR points, never redeemed one. If I want to use my MR points to fly ATL-CUN (likely Delta, unless someone else flies direct), what would be the best redemption strategy?
There's not much of a trick to this one. Just log onto your SkyMiles account and see how many miles Delta is charging for the flights you want, and then transfer them and book. As long as you have already linked your SkyMiles account to your MR account at least a few days in advance the miles will appear in your Delta account within about 60 seconds.

It is possible you might be able to find something requiring fewer miles by going through other channels, but won't be nonstop and will require quite a bit more work and may not be on the exact dates you want.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:26 pm

My annual fee is due next month and I want to close the card. However, I have 40,000 points available in my account.

I'm not sure about my travel plans in the coming year and have no preference towards a specific program. Which airline/hotel should I transfer my points to? Should I transfer it to the program that offers the best value?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FTaddict
... I want to close the card.
Why not open a free Everyday card to preserve your rewards balance until you need it?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...day-cards.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.