FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1646447-what-not-included-u-s-supermarket-category.html)

mia Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 29547747)
... thinking that AmEx actively excludes this merchant chain even though it is in the right category? ...

Yes. I have used Everyday at a tea retailer/cafe which is coded this way and earns only one point per dollar.

rjruiz Mar 20, 2018 5:29 pm

I also hate the fact that Amex makes you wait until after the close date to actually see if you gained the 2x or 3x points.

dpy940307 Apr 2, 2018 11:30 am

i was surprised that places like CVS or Walgreens won't count as groceries (at least in my experience). they are logged as medical/heathcare

rjruiz Apr 11, 2018 9:38 am

Statement just closed recently and I can confirm that Instacart does code as groceries. Yipee!!!

D582 Apr 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by dpy940307 (Post 29594084)
i was surprised that places like CVS or Walgreens won't count as groceries (at least in my experience). they are logged as medical/heathcare

Why would you be surprised? They are not grocery stores. The fact that they sell some grocery items does not make them a grocery store.

dbenesch Apr 29, 2018 10:20 am

Originally Posted by dbenesch (Post 29518848)
I just placed an order with Instacart using my AmEx. The pending charge does show as "Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries", which is the same as my local supermarket. I have no idea if it will post that way or if it will qualify for any bonus points, but I can send an update once I learn more.

Just received my statement that shows rewards dollars for my previous statement. Can confirm that all of my Instacart orders were included in the "U.S. Supermarkets" category and received the extra rewards points/dollars. Yay!

Preacher7 May 3, 2018 5:36 am

ONly Amex codes Neighborhood WalMarts as grocery.

acarney Jul 2, 2018 4:20 pm

Amex card that offers bonus MR points on every day spend or warehouse stores?

So I was going to get the Amex Everyday Preferred card because I would like to earn a bonus on my grocery shopping, however, I shop at Fred Meyers (west coast thing, I think it’s Kroger on the east coast) and I noticed on my platinum card that it’s coding as “merchandise & supplies – wholesale stores”. Does anyone know of an Amex card that has a bonus category that would include these stores, or does anyone shop at Fred Meyer’s stores with an Amex card that earns an extra bonus? I’m really just looking at extra MR earning cards right now and I know some Amex cards just offer cash back instead…

bigbuy Jul 3, 2018 1:43 am

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 29930694)
So I was going to get the Amex Everyday Preferred card because I would like to earn a bonus on my grocery shopping, however, I shop at Fred Meyers (west coast thing, I think it’s Kroger on the east coast) and I noticed on my platinum card that it’s coding as “merchandise & supplies – wholesale stores”. Does anyone know of an Amex card that has a bonus category that would include these stores, or does anyone shop at Fred Meyer’s stores with an Amex card that earns an extra bonus? I’m really just looking at extra MR earning cards right now and I know some Amex cards just offer cash back instead…

AMEX BBP gets earns 2 MR points per dollar on ALL spend up to 50k with no annual fee.
You do not need to have a business to get this card.

acarney Jul 3, 2018 10:46 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy (Post 29932062)
AMEX BBP gets earns 2 MR points per dollar on ALL spend up to 50k with no annual fee.
You do not need to have a business to get this card.

So I keep hearing that. How do I go about getting the card though? Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID, or do I leave that completely blank? For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0? I mean I honestly have nothing that could show as annual earnings if they did a financial review. I don't sell on eBay, I don't do work for my family (that I invoice, or could invoice, I don't want to bring them into any kind of game like that), nothing. Additionally, I don't have much spending that would go onto a business card other then very personal looking things... my weekly shopping, probably cell phone bill, and a couple other very small things like that. Most my other spend is already covered by other cards earning a bonus...

mia Jul 3, 2018 10:48 am

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 29933675)
.... Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID,.... For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0?......

Yes

robchow Jul 3, 2018 11:26 am

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 29933675)
So I keep hearing that. How do I go about getting the card though? Do I just used my SS# instead of the tax ID, or do I leave that completely blank? For my number of employees and annual earnings do I just list them as 1 (me) and $0? I mean I honestly have nothing that could show as annual earnings if they did a financial review. I don't sell on eBay, I don't do work for my family (that I invoice, or could invoice, I don't want to bring them into any kind of game like that), nothing. Additionally, I don't have much spending that would go onto a business card other then very personal looking things... my weekly shopping, probably cell phone bill, and a couple other very small things like that. Most my other spend is already covered by other cards earning a bonus...

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29933684)
Yes

I read that $0 revenue doesn't work anymore (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...usiness-cards/).

acarney Jul 3, 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by robchow (Post 29933817)
I read that $0 revenue doesn't work anymore (https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...usiness-cards/).

I recall seeing that as well.... and I don't really want to lie saying $1,000/year or something and then be asked for documented proof on that when I don't have any, and won't be able to quickly grab some old eBay records or something and pretend they count as biz sales...

I also don't want to put my personal platinum card in jeopardy if Amex does decide that I've falsified information and they just black list my SS# in their system or something...

But at the same time I keep hearing everyone yelling "You don't need a biz to get the card! It's great!" "Sign up for the biz card, it's fine if you never sell anything and don't have a registered biz, literally everyone can get a biz card!!"

Very frustrating....

mia Jul 3, 2018 12:28 pm

Yes...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-revenue.html

...you won't be able to declare zero income if the form will not accept a value less than 1,000. It's a programming limitation.

In my opinion American Express wants to issue business cards to individuals and they want us to use them for personal spending, as evidenced by the types of Amex Offers which appears on business card accounts. They want to do this because various consumer protections do not apply to cards used for business, and because it hides their cardholders' spending from competitors. However, for regulatory compliance they cannot openly solicit individuals to apply for these cards. They can, and do, make it easy to be approved.

wwongo Jul 3, 2018 2:50 pm

I am also a Fred Meyer shopper and they do not code as a grocery store for Amex. One thing I have done is buy gift cards at qfc which is a Kroger store that does code as a grocery and then use them at Fred Meyer.