FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1646447-what-not-included-u-s-supermarket-category.html)

NYCFlyer10001 Jan 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by TayoBus (Post 24175215)
Sorry if this has already been posted. I did a search but couldn't find the answer.

I'm trying to get the most out of our Amex Blue Cash Preferred card. It gives 6% back on groceries.

On the rewards page it says:

So I'm wondering if Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy... do they count as grocery stores or natural food/ specialty stores?

I know Whole Foods is accepted but what about the others?

TJ's counts.

jamesinclair May 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Is Amazon FRESH coded as a supermarket?

Does anybody know if Amazon Fresh counts?

The website says:
Examples of merchants* that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards include:
• Online supermarkets such as FreshDirect

And also says:
Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
• Superstores (e.g. Amazon, Target and Wal-Mart)

Amazon Fresh operates like FreshDirect. The question is, how is it coded on the Amex end? Do they see Amazon and think "no" or do they realize that Amazon Fresh is a different product?

mhdena May 31, 2015 2:49 pm

Sprouts counts.

mia May 31, 2015 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jamesinclair (Post 24896910)
... how is it coded on the Amex end?

The coding is not done by American Express, but by Amazon's "acquirer", the entity which processes their card transactions. The simplest way to find out is to use an American Express card to place an Amazon Fresh order and look at the transaction details when it appears online.

jamesinclair May 31, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 24897441)
The simplest way to find out is to use an American Express card to place an Amazon Fresh order and look at the transaction details when it appears online.

Yes I know but I was wondering if anyone else had done it.

mia May 31, 2015 3:18 pm

Moderator action

I have broken this question out as a separate thread to maximize finding an answer, because Amazon Fresh has only a few delivery areas.

plinko83 May 31, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001 (Post 24175655)
TJ's counts.

I can confirm that Trader Joe's definitely counts.

happychic May 31, 2015 4:48 pm

Fresh & Easy also counts.

hiima May 31, 2015 5:02 pm

Basically anywhere you buy groceries from counts, except what's noted like Walmart, Target (usually), Costco, that one liquor store down the street that for some reason accepts Amex and you don't know why.

jamesinclair May 31, 2015 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 24897535)
I have broken this question out as a separate thread to maximize finding an answer, because Amazon Fresh has only a few delivery areas.

Thank you

CRAZ8 Jun 1, 2015 2:19 am

We use InstaCart for food delivery. They are not coded as a supermarket, and have no plans to - according to their support staff.

For us, the convenience outweighs the points, so we might be looking for a new card with 3X+ points on something else we buy frequently

onthego15 Jun 1, 2015 7:33 am

Virtually ever natural food store in which I have ever bought groceries qualified. The only exceptions were a couple of food co-ops which didn't take AMEX at all. Also, purchases at a local, small grocery store qualify.

GoatLove Jun 1, 2015 11:08 am

I checked our charges and on the AMEX site it says:

Doing business as:
AMAZON FRESH
Additional Information: GROCERY
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase

Looks like we have a separate charge for the tip and it says:

Doing business as:
AMAZON FRESH TIPS
Additional Information: SUPERMARKET
Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase

elegua Feb 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Amex BCE and Smith's Supermarket Question

Hi Guys,

Tried to look for this but no luck so far, in my search on internet (google) i can see that Kroger/Smith's both qualified for 3% ( read in some forums), i called Amex and the assured me that none of them are included on their list, even Vons is in their list but the CSR just told me that Vons is not included, what ????

Here my confusion, i did get 2% on gas from Smith's but not 3% on groceries in my last statement and my question is, is Smith's on the 3% reward supermarket list?

Thank you so much for your help guys ^

lupine Feb 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Most King Soopers (a Kroger chain) credit as supermarkets, but I had one that didn't; the Amex rep told me that it was set up as a general merchandise store in their system. The logic escaped me, but it was only the one store.

Some gas stations don't register as gas stations.

I tried to go through and check for a couple of months, but the points post well in arrears, and I got lazy and gave up.