Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Canadian Amex Retention Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by hita45
My Amex Aeroplan reserve was opened begining of July. I read on the US thread that asking for a retention bonus/credit is done often. I have few questions:
1) Does it work on a similar manner here in Canada?
2) If yes, what offers have you received?
3) can you receive offers for more than one card?
4) is it better to call/chat before or after the anniversary date?
any feedback on this?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Just a couple data points here:

Amex Platinum - had it for 12 years - approx $100-200K annual spend historically - called in when the renewal fee came through in March - stated I currently have 3 premium cards (Plat, AE Reserve, TD Visa Infinite Privilege) and need to get rid of one - they offered me 20K in points - Accepted

Amex Aeroplan Reserve - got it last year during the big welcome promo - approx $100K spend in first year - called in this month and gave the same spiel. I got forwarded to their loyalty department and spoke at length with a friendly rep who kept reminding of the various benefits. He said his hands were tied as there were no current promos even if I were to actually cancel at that moment. A little disappointing given the online rumblings a few months back of numerous users of having their renewal fee waived.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 2:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by habshabs444
.... A little disappointing....
Did you close the account?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Did you close the account?
I didn't cancel. The biggest single benefit for me is the rollover of eupgrade credits. Combining that with the various spend promos they have, the annual fee is worth the cost IMO.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by habshabs444
I didn't cancel. ....
American Express' algorithm predicted this outcome. A retention offer is not an expression of appreciation, it's an amount that their software predicts will discourage us from cancelling.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by theranj
Canadian Business Platinum
Card opened in Nov 2016, $500 AF
Called in 2019 to cancel - got 50,000 MR to keep open - worst case break even at $0.01 value per MR, but I can get $0.02 thru my conversions...took the deal
Called in 2020 to cancel - got $100 off my AF, and 10,000 MR...tried to press them for more but no luck and took the deal - didn't break even overall but close
Called today to cancel - got 20,000 MR to keep open - again at $0.02 I should be able to break even, took the deal

My Canadian Personal Platinum I end up ahead every year in value - no issues or concerns there...this is my daily CC that I have no intention of removing
My USA Personal Platinum I've already come out ahead in offers this year, although based on my travel in 2020 and 2021 I am not sure I can justify keeping it in 2022, may try retentions on this one next year
Update on this:
1/I cancelled my USA Platinum Amex in June 2022 after a FHR stay booked w/it - I took the extra MR by utilizing a pre-paid booking and various credits for the particular hotel and cancelled without any offer of retention - since COVID my use of the USA Specific benefits and extra AMEX Offers curtailed greatly
2/I just did my annual call in to cancel my Canada Business Platinum Amex, fourth year in a row. Have put minimal spend over last year and was not offered any retention, they went straight to cancellation

I've since moved most of my spend to my TD VIP card in order to get the extra Aeroplan segments/miles, but still put some spend on here, will likely try a retention offer later this month as I still get value with it though.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 11:53 am

Any data points for retentions for Canadian Platinum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.