Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat Canada - Booking a Hertz Rewards Points - Insurance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

I am booking a Hertz car with my Hertz points. I always book my paid rentals to my Amex Plat Canada, however this time I will be using points, and just charging the fees and taxes to my Amex. Am i still covered? If not, any suggestions?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Please read insurance document.

"A Cardmember is covered if they receive a “free rental” as a result of a
promotion, where they have had to make previous vehicle rentals if each
such previous rental was entirely paid for with the Cardmember’s Card
and the applicable taxes for the “free rental” have been charged to the
Cardmember’s Card;"

Redeeming rental card reward is often bad economics, because you need to pay $$$ for the CDW, unless your own auto insurance covers rental cars (usually ~40/yr which also comes with other benefits), or you have full record keeping for all rentals.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Or you have AMEX Assurance coverage. It's $20 per rental and is billed after the fact but you sign up in advance.

I use the applicable Amex card (because even with a free rental, ZE does take a deposit on the CC), complete the rental, ask to have the end charges covered by another card for the travel perks, and be on my merry way.

The $20 premium is not billed.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Or you have AMEX Assurance coverage. It's $20 per rental and is billed after the fact but you sign up in advance.
Note that CanuckFlyHigh has a Canadian American Express account while the insurance product that you are mentioning is available only to USA card accounts.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Medallion
I have been looking for this info regarding insurance for Hertz rewards on a Canadian Amex card. I called Amex twice (Kelly was one insurance person and Jerry was the other person) just to make sure, but they stated that as long as you used your Amex Plat or Gold to rent cars to collect those points, then the card covers you when you want to redeem the point, as long as you also pay the taxes and fees with the card.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:56 am
mia

Originally Posted by FlyingFelix
...as long as you used your Amex Plat or Gold to rent cars to collect those points....
I would ask for a copy of the insurance provision which explains exactly how they track and enforce this. My guess is they do not know and have invented an answer.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I would ask for a copy of the insurance provision which explains exactly how they track and enforce this. My guess is they do not know and have invented an answer.
Yes, I did ask them to mail me the insurance documentation. They said they can see if you have rented from Hertz (my example is Hertz, could be for Avis, or whatever) from your card account. If they invented their answer, wouldn't that put them in a legal pickle?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:13 pm
mia

Originally Posted by FlyingFelix
...they can see if you have rented from Hertz ...?
Agreed, but can they verify that you rent often enough to generate the number of points redeemed? I am not saying that this is impossible, only that it is unlikely that American Express actually does it
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, but can they verify that you rent often enough to generate the number of points redeemed? I am not saying that this is impossible, only that it is unlikely that American Express actually does it
Most likely they would ask you to provide your statements to them, even though they have access to them. But if you rent from Hertz all the time, that would be the only way to generate Hertz points, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.