Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Mortgage payment using Plastiq valid for meeting AMEX bonus spending requirements?

Mortgage payment using Plastiq valid for meeting AMEX bonus spending requirements?

Old Oct 15, 17, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Can I meet AMEX bonus spending requirements by charging mortgage payments through Plastiq.com? I’ve long used Plastiq and related websites to meet credit card (and charge card, including Amex) bonus spending requirements and also just to earn 1-1.5 miles on cards/point systems I judged to be worthwhile.

In the course of being approved for a personal Delta Gold Amex account for that recent targeted $3K spend for 60K miles offer, I noticed the following terms in the credit card agreement...

”Purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers (balance transfers are not available on Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Cards), cash advances, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents.”

I called the customer service number on my new Delta Amex to ask if Plastiq.com payments could be used to meet minimum spending requirements. (I was particularly concerned about the “cash equivalents” language.) The CSR said, “no, it couldn't.” I didn’t have the impression the CSR fully understood my question. I’ve searched this forum hoping to find an authoritative answer to my question, but didn’t find anything that specifically addressed the topic.
Old Oct 16, 17, 1:00 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Brussels View Post
Can I meet AMEX bonus spending requirements by charging mortgage payments through Plastiq.com?

In the course of being approved for a personal Delta Gold Amex account for that recent targeted $3K spend for 60K miles offer, I noticed the following terms in the credit card agreement...

I called the customer service number on my new Delta Amex to ask if Plastiq.com payments could be used to meet minimum spending requirements. The CSR said, “no, it couldn't.
I know you weren't born last night as a 1 day old could not get a CC.

You were told no, and put enough info here for the RAT team to put a hold on all Delta if they were reading thse threads. Which some people say they do.

Why woud you call Amex and ask about a MS avenue??
Old Oct 16, 17, 9:48 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
I know you weren't born last night as a 1 day old could not get a CC.

You were told no, and put enough info here for the RAT team to put a hold on all Delta if they were reading thse threads. Which some people say they do.

Why woud you call Amex and ask about a MS avenue??
While I agree that calling AMEX probably wasn't the wisest move (esp. since OP claims to have used AMEX on Plastiq.com previously), I'll respectfully disagree that this is "a MS avenue".

Using a credit card to pay legitimate bills is pretty far from MS.
Old Oct 16, 17, 12:02 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Can I meet AMEX bonus spending requirements by charging mortgage payments through Plastiq.com? I’ve long used Plastiq and related websites to meet credit card (and charge card, including Amex) bonus spending requirements and also just to earn 1-1.5 miles on cards/point systems I judged to be worthwhile.

”Purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers (balance transfers are not available on Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Cards), cash advances, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents.”

I called the customer service number on my new Delta Amex to ask if Plastiq.com payments could be used to meet minimum spending requirements. (I was particularly concerned about the “cash equivalents” language.) The CSR said, “no, it couldn't.” I didn’t have the impression the CSR fully understood my question. I’ve searched this forum hoping to find an authoritative answer to my question, but didn’t find anything that specifically addressed the topic.
A quick search would have revealed:

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)
Old Oct 17, 17, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
While I agree that calling AMEX probably wasn't the wisest move (esp. since OP claims to have used AMEX on Plastiq.com previously), I'll respectfully disagree that this is "a MS avenue".

Using a credit card to pay legitimate bills is pretty far from MS.
Thanks, Diplomatico. Yeah, I thought mhdena was a little rough in his/her comments. And thanks to, thebat, for pointing out a helpful related flyertalk post.

I've been paying a mortgage through Plastiq and another similar website for years now. In general, it has been for non-bonus spend. I pay Plastiq a 2.7% fee and Amex accepts it, including on an Amex card that I've had for many years. I don't consider this MS. If Amex doesn't want to accept charges from Plastiq (a bill paying service), they should remove them from their payment network.

Last edited by Brussels; Oct 17, 17 at 5:21 pm
Old Oct 18, 17, 12:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Thanks, Diplomatico. Yeah, I thought mhdena was a little rough in his/her comments. And thanks to, thebat, for pointing out a helpful related flyertalk post.

I've been paying a mortgage through Plastiq and another similar website for years now. In general, it has been for non-bonus spend. I pay Plastiq a 2.7% fee and Amex accepts it, including on an Amex card that I've had for many years. I don't consider this MS. If Amex doesn't want to accept charges from Plastiq (a bill paying service), they should remove them from their payment network.
Amex has no problem accepting charges from Plastiq and you can always earn MRs / Skymiles. These purchases are excluded from only qualifying as the "minimum spend" component of sign-up bonuses.
Old Oct 18, 17, 8:18 am

Programs: UA:1K & MM
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Amex has no problem accepting charges from Plastiq and you can always earn MRs / Skymiles. These purchases are excluded from only qualifying as the "minimum spend" component of sign-up bonuses.
What about the $40K annual spend for Hilton Diamond status? With Hilton moving away from Citi this will be the path for status through spend. There are lots of ways to make this, but taking on stuff like mortgage and tax payments help.

TIA
DLM
Old Oct 18, 17, 8:49 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
... These purchases are excluded from only qualifying as the "minimum spend" component of sign-up bonuses.
I am not sure this is accurate. Any transaction that earns rewards should qualify for the new account bonus. However, it is true that if American Express audits an account (for any reason) the auditor may point to this type of spending as a reason to disqualify a bonus, even if that isn't the real reason.

American Express has revised their terms to more closely reflect their actual practice, as discussed in this thread:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers. ..

...and there isn't anything in the current terms (below) that disqualifies bill payment services, provided the service does not make person-to-person payments. Plastiq's terms explicitly stipulate that For Recipients in the United States, the use of American Express cards is permitted for the following industries: Government, Utilities, Education, Residential Rent, Club Fees and Memberships, and Professional Services. If you comply with these terms, you shouldn't have a problem with American Express.

... points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account 8-12 weeks after you have met the purchase requirement. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards to, we may freeze Membership Rewards credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.

American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

Your account must be in good standing and not in default at the time of fulfillment of any offers.

*Qualifying purchases are purchases for goods and services. Qualifying purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards; person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.
RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:20 pm

I've met minimum spend using Plastiq with AMEX.
RedSun likes this.
Old Apr 13, 18, 1:55 pm

Hi,

I just signed up two AXP credit cards, if I pay with plastiq for rent, will this be counted with purchase to meet my sign up bonus requirement?

thanks!
Old Apr 13, 18, 2:07 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved your question into a previous related discussion. When you review the previous posts don't focus on the Yes/No answer, but rather on the reasons that the posters cite for their conclusions. I would also look at this thread:

AMEX USA updates T&Cs again - and it's not good news

Last edited by mia; Apr 13, 18 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 13, 18, 4:18 pm
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

This is a convenient payment service. I see this is the same thing that you use Paypal to send payments. But I also agree that it is not wise to call AmEx to inquire about this. There are certainly grey areas.
Old Apr 13, 18, 7:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ruihere View Post
Hi,

I just signed up two AXP credit cards, if I pay with plastiq for rent, will this be counted with purchase to meet my sign up bonus requirement?

thanks!
The answer to your question appears to be "yes", if we're talking about residential rent. See here: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...amex-payments/

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
This is a convenient payment service. I see this is the same thing that you use Paypal to send payments. But I also agree that it is not wise to call AmEx to inquire about this. There are certainly grey areas.
There are no grey areas when it comes to using AMEX on Plastiq. AMEX restricts use of their cards to very specific spend categories on Plastiq - it's quite well defined:

"For Recipients in the United States, the use of American Express cards is permitted for the following industries: Government, Utilities, Education, Residential Rent and Club Fees and Memberships."

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...amex-payments/
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
There are no grey areas when it comes to using AMEX on Plastiq. AMEX restricts use of their cards to very specific spend categories on Plastiq - it's quite well defined:

"For Recipients in the United States, the use of American Express cards is permitted for the following industries: Government, Utilities, Education, Residential Rent and Club Fees and Memberships."

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...amex-payments/
There are grey areas in practice, even if there seem to be no grey areas based on printed policies.

Somene here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...l#post29637002
(starting at post 87)

couldn't get their rent payment to work with their Amex Blue Business Plus, but was able to get it to work with their Amex Everyday Preferred? Why that difference?

Meanwhile, here's another grey area: Will an Amex work for auto and home insurance? It did for me last year, but then my auto and home insurance is from AAA SoCal, so did it work because Amex categorizes anything paid to AAA SoCal as "club fees and memberships"?

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 15, 18 at 7:16 pm Reason: spelling
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:51 pm

Self-edit.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Apr 14, 18 at 9:03 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: