Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HookemHorns
Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to airline and hotel accounts in the name of the primary cardholder -or- the name of a supplementary cardholder on any card account linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You only need to request a supplementary card. It need not ever be given to the cardholder, nor used for any purchases. American Express will not issue cards for children under age 13.

Bear in mind that American Express (USA) generally limits customers to four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Most of the cards which can be used to add free supplementary cardholders are credit cards, choose one that you actually want to use,

These products allow you to add free Supplementary cardholders:

PERSONAL CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Premier Rewards Gold charge card. $175 fee for primary card, up to five free supplementary cards.
  • Mercedes-Benz credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday Preferred credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards.
  • Blue from American Express credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. Caution: Blue Cash, Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred do not participate in Membership Rewards, and supplementary cardholders are not eligible to receive transfers.

SMALL BUSINESS CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Business Gold Rewards charge card. $175 fee for the primary card, $50 for the first supplementary card, but additional supplementary cards are free.
  • Blue for Business credit card. No fee for primary card or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. This is the best Membership Rewards card for general spending because it earns a 30% annual bonus on all spending.
Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 6:27 pm

AMEX MR Points transfer to spouse

I wanted to transfer the AMEX Membership points to my wife account. I have AMEX Platinum card and wanted to add her as an authorized user. I chatted with the customer service and they told me it cost $175 for additional users . How do I avoid paying additional fees by adding her to my account? Please help.

Thanks.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ramamosn
I wanted to transfer the AMEX Membership points to my wife account. I have AMEX Platinum card and wanted to add her as an authorized user. I chatted with the customer service and they told me it cost $175 for additional users . How do I avoid paying additional fees by adding her to my account? Please help.

Thanks.
Can't avoid, have to pay.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You cannot transfer points from your Membership Rewards account to your wife's Membership Rewards account, even if she is holds a Supplementary Card on your account. You can transfer to one of her airline or hotel accounts. Is that what you are trying to do? (You can do this for no more than $45, and probably at no cost, depending on how quickly you need to transfer.)

Last edited by mia; May 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 7:15 pm

MR Points

Thanks Mia. I wanted to transfer from MR to my wife's Ethihad Airlines account. Can you help me how to transfer to her airline account? I am not in a hurry to transfer it now and I can wait.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:37 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ramamosn
Thanks Mia. I wanted to transfer from MR to my wife's Ethihad Airlines account. Can you help me how to transfer to her airline account? I am not in a hurry to transfer it now and I can wait.
1. I assume you have a personal Platinum card. If that's correct ask Customer Service to issue a Supplementary Green card in your wife's name. This is not a documented option, but we do have reports that they will do it, and that the Green card will be free. As soon as the card is issued you should be able to LINK her Ethihad account to your Membership Rewards account. She does not need to actually use the card.

If they will not issue a free Green Card on the account:

2. Apply for a free Everyday credit card, and request a supplementary Everyday card in your wife's name. When you activate the cards verify that they are linked to the same Membership Rewards account as your existing card (this is normal), and you should be able to link your wife's Ethihad account immediately.

Caution: Ethihad is a new partner. It is possible that they will not accept transfers from supplementary cardholders, even though American Express permits it. I have no reason to think this will be the case, but I would make an initial 1,000 point transfer to verify that everything works as expected.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:42 pm

MR Points

Thanks Mia. I really appreciate it.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Transfer MR pts to AU: specific scenario

I have a couple of AUs on my Plat card. I have linked their FFPs to my Plat/MR acct. Let's say I cancel the Plat card, so they will no longer be AUs, but I get another flavor of Plat to preserve the points, but I don't add any AU. Would I still be able to transfer to the AU FFPs that were linked before?
Old May 20, 2016, 1:04 pm
mia

Originally Posted by italdesign
... Would I still be able to transfer to the AU FFPs that were linked before?
Probably. I have some of ms mia's frequent flyer accounts linked to my Membership Rewards account, and vice versa, but we do not hold Supplementary Cards on each others' accounts. These were linked before American Express made the software change to enforce this policy. I expect that the links would also survive in the circumstance that you describe, but you would not be able to link additional frequent flyer accounts for the same person.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:19 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Apologies if this has been asked. How long does it take typically for someone to show up as an option for transfer once they've been added as a AU?

thanks!
FDW
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Apologies if this has been asked. How long does it take typically for someone to show up as an option for transfer once they've been added as a AU?

thanks!
FDW
You can transfer as soon as the AU is added over phone. I usually take care of it in the same phone call.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:43 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gv111
You can transfer as soon as the AU is added over phone. I usually take care of it in the same phone call.
crums. I did it online... maybe I should call....

FDW
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:54 pm
FTA

Is there a way to transfer my AMEX points to some else's Delta account? Want to pool family points. Thanks
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:45 pm

Successful MR transfer

Originally Posted by FTA
Is there a way to transfer my AMEX points to some else's Delta account? Want to pool family points. Thanks
Earlier this summer I was able to transfer MR to a family member's DL account. There was no linked DL number in my MR profile, and I simply added their number. There was no blockage anywhere in the transfer process, from initiating it through paying the small fee through confirmation. Would not have concerned me if the transfer had been declined. But it went through, and the transfer showed up as miles in the family member's accout instantly. flyertalk tends to use strong words like "killed or dead", did the same thing with the "once in a lifetime" signup bonus which I disproved over 9 months ago with the PRG. And now this, "AMEX kills ability" which is another untrue statement.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
I need to top up both my and my wife's DL account with 12K miles each. I have enough MR for both of us, she doesn't have any. The only AMEX either of us has is my Plat and an SPG biz. I know I can't transfer directly to her DL account. It seems like my options are to either open an Everyday for myself and make her an AU, or open an Everyday for her and earn and use the signup bonus, which will take a month or two. Am I missing any other options? Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:41 am

I need to top up both my and my wife's DL account with 12K miles each. I have enough MR for both of us, she doesn't have any. The only AMEX either of us has is my Plat and an SPG biz. I know I can't transfer directly to her DL account. It seems like my options are to either open an Everyday for myself and make her an AU, or open an Everyday for her and earn and use the signup bonus, which will take a month or two. Am I missing any other options? Thanks for your help!
I believe you can add your wife as a supplementary Green cardholder on your Platinum account for free. Should be able to verify with a quick call and add her on the phone/transfer to her DL account immediately if so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.