Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Yes, he can enter almost all Plaza lounges in Canada with the AMEX Platinum card directly + spouse + 2 kids
And virtually all Plaza Premium lounges worldwide, including HKG arrival lounge (not possible with priority pass)
Old May 14, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Out of curiosity, in YYZ, which is the better lounge. The Amex plaza or MLL? I have a few CIBC/TD passes I could use but the last time I went to the MLL there were very few places to sit.
One of the major shortcomings of MLL compared to PPL.

PPL have better food. Transborder seems to be better than International at T1.

If MLL is not busy, it is better with the more widely spaced seating. PPL is Asian style seating, as it's operated by a HK company.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by beep88
And virtually all Plaza Premium lounges worldwide, including HKG arrival lounge (not possible with priority pass)
Are you sure about the PPL Arrival Lounge at HKG?

Not listed as one of the eligible lounges (landside) there.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Does anyone know the status of the secret westjet discount when calling the PTS?
...say what now?
Old May 17, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Presto
...just ask the PTS agent for the Westjet 10% discount fares. I haven't had an issue.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
Does anyone know the status of the secret westjet discount when calling the PTS?
Spoke with a PTS agent yesterday and it is still available.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beep88
One of the major shortcomings of MLL compared to PPL.

PPL have better food. Transborder seems to be better than International at T1.

If MLL is not busy, it is better with the more widely spaced seating. PPL is Asian style seating, as it's operated by a HK company.
Food, Premium Plaza - even acknowledging AC has made a decent effort to improve in this regard, I still prefer PP. I do go to MLL for a shower (AC has consistently great showers, loved the water pressure at LHR arrivals also) I do not think any of the PPs have, at least not at YYZ.
Old May 18, 2014, 2:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by markandrew
loved the water pressure at LHR arrivals also) .
Priority Pass listing suggests that the Air Canada LHR3 Arrivals Lounge is closing:

Lounge Information
Airport: London - Heathrow (LHR), Terminal 3

Lounge: AIR CANADA ARRIVALS LOUNGE
Location: Landside - Arrivals Level, adjacent to the shuttle bus pick-up point at the terminal's curb side. The Lounge is only accessible to passengers arriving from international flights in Terminal 3.

Opening Hours: 06:30 - 13:30 daily.

Conditions: International T3 arrival flights only (no access available to pax traveling to/from other terminals) - Valet service for clothes pressing and shoe shine available - Private bathrooms with shower facility available - Non-smoking.

Additional Information: Long distance telephone calls and fax facilities are subject to payment. Please note: Effective 17JUN14 the Lounge will close permanently.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Well I got a breathless congratulations on my approval, with a code and a link to register for online services while I wait for the arrival of my card. There is nowhere on the web page that the link goes to that fits that code and the page won't allow me to register by creating a new username and password. It tells me it cannot register me and gives me a telephone number to call. The Contact Us page is full of telephone numbers. The Platinum customer service, travel service and concierge contact are telephone numbers. The only other contact mechanism is a postal mailing address. So it looks like before I even have a card, I am stuck complaining for equal access. They do offer TTY access for general inquiries and lost cards, but not for premium service of the Platinum level -- I guess deaf people don't usually have Platinum cards. Maybe deaf people don't have much to do with Amex anyway, because we don't use TTYs any more. They're getting off on the wrong foot with me.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801

Yes I used it. Not listed online currently.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Priority Pass listing suggests that the Air Canada LHR3 Arrivals Lounge is closing:
Hence the past tense, closure to coincide with AC moving to Queen's Terminal, have sadly made my last visit to LHR arrival, many twenty minute showers there (there are typically more showers than clientele, indeed many times there were more personnel than clientele. Not sure what new arrangements are to be made for LHR Arrivals with terminal changes, it has long been part of the few distinguishing features of LHR that airlines competed on arrival services rather than only departure.
Old May 20, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Clipper801

Used it in January, but the front-desk dragon took quite a bit of convincing...
Old May 28, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Has anyone ever tried using the 2-1 International Business/First Class deal on a one-way flight?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Used it in January, but the front-desk dragon took quite a bit of convincing...
I'm going to try the same thing soon, can you expand more on how you had to convince the front-desk?
Old May 28, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Received my welcome package. Enrolment paper for Priority Pass was a slip of paper with a phone number. Being deaf, I looked around for other options to enrol, managed to enrol in the various hotel programs using the web link, but hit dead end on PP. I tweeted at Amex and they also could not believe the enrolment info was a phone number. They are looking into it. Badly inaccessible. (Although I appreciate the responsiveness on Twitter covering for it.) My $64,000 question is, why is Priority Pass enrolment not automatic? Is there anyone getting a $700 credit card that would say "hell, no, you can't make me take Priority Pass?" Does the process of enrolment with Priority Pass involve disclosing some dark secret that someone might not want coming to light? What gives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.