Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: u2g0d
Boingo Sign-up here:
https://amex.boingo.com/

American Express press release is here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...%C2%AE-Members

Boingo Wireless

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will receive complimentary, unlimited access to more than 700,000 land-based Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide in airports, retail and hotel locations through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Once enrolled in the plan, Card Members can have simultaneous internet access for up to four devices without worrying about data caps or roaming fees.
Statement Credit Option for TSA Pre✓™

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will have the option to receive a statement credit for a TSA Pre✓™ application fee. The $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓™ is an alternative to the existing benefit that American Express launched in 2011―a $100 statement credit for a Global Entry application fee. Card Members can receive a statement credit for either the TSA Pre✓™ or Global Entry program application fee once every five years.

If the Card Member travels internationally, Global Entry can reduce wait time at US Customs when returning from international travel. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, the Card Member will receive access to TSA Pre✓™
If the Card Member does not travel internationally or does not think he/she meets the requirements of Global Entry, the Card Member can opt to apply for TSA Pre✓™ alone. TSA Pre✓™ allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airports.
Print Wikipost

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does the TSA Pre option now become available for non citizens?

I have had GE for years but never qualified for TSA pre because I'm a green card holder
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:28 am

This is an insult. These are benefits they should have added to the PRG years ago. Plus, ... are they thinking adding Pre-Check as a "new" benefit when it was already included the the Global Entry credit? Attention American Express: it's NOT a new freaking benefit

Why can't they give us FF elite status like Singapore, Canada, etc get? They should offer a system like they did with the Zync card, only for the Platinum card managing REAL benefits. And it should be the same for all Platinum Card products worldwide.

Pick 5 of 9
a) Fine Hotels & Resorts Privileges
b) $200 Airline Credit & Global Entry Refund
c) Lounge Access (DL, AMEX, & Full PP)
d) OW Emerald/ST Elite/*A Silver
e) Support Package (Concierge, Roadside Assistance, Return Protection, Rental Car Protection, etc)
f) SPG & HH Gold Elite Status
g) Hertz, Avis, National Elite Status
h) International Airline Program
i) Cruise Benefits

And be able to change it annually, but only once per year, just like you can with your airline fee credit (recent AA exception not withstanding)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
This is an insult. These are benefits they should have added to the PRG years ago. Plus, ... are they thinking adding Pre-Check as a "new" benefit when it was already included the the Global Entry credit? Attention American Express: it's NOT a new freaking benefit

Why can't they give us FF elite status like Singapore, Canada, etc get? They should offer a system like they did with the Zync card, only for the Platinum card managing REAL benefits. And it should be the same for all Platinum Card products worldwide.

Pick 5 of 9
a) Fine Hotels & Resorts Privileges
b) $200 Airline Credit & Global Entry Refund
c) Lounge Access (DL, AMEX, & Full PP)
d) OW Emerald/ST Elite/*A Silver
e) Support Package (Concierge, Roadside Assistance, Return Protection, Rental Car Protection, etc)
f) SPG & HH Gold Elite Status
g) Hertz, Avis, National Elite Status
h) International Airline Program
i) Cruise Benefits

And be able to change it annually, but only once per year, just like you can with your airline fee credit (recent AA exception not withstanding)
I would actually love if they did this. But I assume they won't as part of the reason this card makes them $ is that they are offering some benefits that only a small number of cardholders use.

If they expand to a list of better benefits and allow people to cherry-pick the ones they want, suddenly you have much higher utilization of more expensive benefits.

Still, would I be willing to pay maybe a $600 AF for a combination of b, c, d, f, and g? I just might...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I would actually love if they did this. But I assume they won't as part of the reason this card makes them $ is that they are offering some benefits that only a small number of cardholders use.

If they expand to a list of better benefits and allow people to cherry-pick the ones they want, suddenly you have much higher utilization of more expensive benefits.

Still, would I be willing to pay maybe a $600 AF for a combination of b, c, d, f, and g? I just might...
I know some people that would pay $600 AF for d &f alone. Forget about the other ones...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by piemel
Does the TSA Pre option now become available for non citizens?

I have had GE for years but never qualified for TSA pre because I'm a green card holder
I'm a Green Card holder and have had TSA pre since getting GE and Nexus
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.boingo.com/wifi-plans/?lang=en
if mobile only, worth $8/mo
if laptops, worth $87/mo
considering that, safe to assume no laptops? kind of meh

eligible Card Members must first be authenticated and create a Boingo American Express Preferred Plan (or, the “AXP Plan”) account. Internet access may be required in order to be authenticated and create an account.

may be terminated for breach of any terms or conditions or for abuse of your AXP Plan account. This benefit is subject to change or cancellation without notice.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
boingo is good, but I want gogo in flgiht... precheck is useless because I already get it with global entry... come one, AMEX, up your game - citi prestige is catchin' up!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
It sounds like we're getting the $60 plan.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PR says unlimited

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
that is not unlimited, its 2000 minutes

http://www.boingo.com/wifi-plans/?lang=en
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
that is not unlimited, its 2000 minutes
This is addressed in the article linked in post #1:

The plan looks to be equivalent to the Boingo Global Plan, which costs $59 a month and includes the same access (though only up to 2,000 minutes per month).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:01 am

Darn, so are Platinum members getting unlimted or the Global Plan? Or we have no idea until June?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:06 am
mia

There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity.

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Darn, so are Platinum members getting unlimted or the Global Plan?
The interpretation in the blog post linked in the first post is that the American Express plan will include the geographic coverage of the Boingo Global Plan, but without the 2000 minute cap.

The press release linked in the Wikipost states:

unlimited access to more than 700,000 land-based Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide in airports, retail and hotel locations through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Once enrolled in the plan, Card Members can have simultaneous internet access for up to four devices without worrying about data caps or roaming fees.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by mia
There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity.

The interpretation in the blog post linked in the first post is that the American Express plan will include the geographic coverage of the Boingo Global Plan, but without the 2000 minute cap.

The press release linked in the Wikipost states:
Awesome blossom. Hard to read everything on a small smartphone
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
they should add priority boarding, check in, and security screening in addition to the pre check feature
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
they should add priority boarding, check in, and security screening in addition to the pre check feature
TSA Pre-Check is priority security screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.