Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: u2g0d
Boingo Sign-up here:
https://amex.boingo.com/

American Express press release is here:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...%C2%AE-Members

Boingo Wireless

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will receive complimentary, unlimited access to more than 700,000 land-based Wi-Fi hotspots worldwide in airports, retail and hotel locations through the Boingo American Express Preferred Plan. Once enrolled in the plan, Card Members can have simultaneous internet access for up to four devices without worrying about data caps or roaming fees.
Statement Credit Option for TSA Pre✓™

Starting in June 2014, Platinum Card Members will have the option to receive a statement credit for a TSA Pre✓™ application fee. The $85 statement credit for TSA Pre✓™ is an alternative to the existing benefit that American Express launched in 2011―a $100 statement credit for a Global Entry application fee. Card Members can receive a statement credit for either the TSA Pre✓™ or Global Entry program application fee once every five years.

If the Card Member travels internationally, Global Entry can reduce wait time at US Customs when returning from international travel. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, the Card Member will receive access to TSA Pre✓™
If the Card Member does not travel internationally or does not think he/she meets the requirements of Global Entry, the Card Member can opt to apply for TSA Pre✓™ alone. TSA Pre✓™ allows low-risk travelers to experience faster, more efficient screening at participating U.S. airports.
Print Wikipost

Amex Plat [USA] new benefits [6.1.2014]- TSA preCheck and Boingo WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:44 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by princesakura
Boingo is a great feature in Korea and Japan, where wireless service in public areas is more often for pay or for cellular subscribers than not.
With Boingo, you can use several Korean cellular carriers' wireless networks that are literally everywhere.
+1 ^ When I was most recently in Korea, there were almost always wifi signals from at least 1-2 national carriers that allowed roaming via Boingo.

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Yeah, I can concur. I have been able to use the boingo feature MUCH more than I thought I would..stays in european airports, hotels, ORANGE mobile sites in many european countries, and also in many business hotels where I would have had to pay.. would probably rather have the GOGO certs, but I'll take this one too.
Ditto the last couple times I was in Europe. Never bothered looking for Boingo connections until I had the service via Amex Plat. In many countries with pervasive mobile telecom, Boingo obviates the need to get a local sim or pay for a wifi mobile hotspot.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by princesakura
Boingo is a great feature in Korea and Japan, where wireless service in public areas is more often for pay or for cellular subscribers than not.
Originally Posted by JY1024
+1 ^ When I was most recently in Korea, there were almost always wifi signals from at least 1-2 national carriers that allowed roaming via Boingo.
+2; I used Boingo (on my own dime back in the day) and got a fifty Mbit/sec connection in the lobby of my Japanese hotel (and IIRC was via DoCoMo (the/a local mobile provider)).
Old May 9, 2015, 9:29 am

[Re: Boingo - I've used it with lots of success in Europe. Not usually the fastest, but it is a connection and doesn't cost 10-15 EUR as is the charge in some airports.[/QUOTE]

Having spent years in Europe, I never found Boingo useful anywhere.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
And? I have often found Boingo useful. We have different experiences.

Also, this is primarily a discussion of the US-issued card, which arguably does not target Europe residents that likely have Europe-based connectivity services.

Last edited by gooselee; May 10, 2015 at 7:15 am
Old May 10, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gooselee
And? I have often found Boingo useful. We have different experiences.

Also, this is primarily a discussion of the US-issued card, which arguably does not target Europe residents that likely have Europe-based connectivity services.
Why would you want free wifi in the US if you have LTE on your phone and tablet? And the hotel wifi is free... :l I find boingo useless in all regions.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Why would you want free wifi in the US if you have LTE on your phone and tablet? And the hotel wifi is free... :l I find boingo useless in all regions.
I don't use Boingo unless I am in an airport w/o free Wi-Fi. I, for one, use the least expensive data plan available for my cell. I refuse to pay for data on my tablet. I simply have better things upon which to spend my money. If you have enough to spend on larger data plans, great. That is not everyone's situation. This is one example where Amex has strayed from their original marketing exclusively towards only the most affluent. It can be argued that Boingo is targeted towards middle market consumers. I agree that having Gogo is a better benefit. I also agree that the 10 certs given Biz Plats is a small benefit, especially when you consider the data needs for business people. If Amex could afford to bring a more robust Gogo benefit to business customers and some Gogo benefit to personal card users, I would see this as good added value.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
For me it's been worse than useless -- it's actually wasted my time. I've tried it on several occasions, never with a happy result.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by dhuey
For me it's been worse than useless -- it's actually wasted my time. I've tried it on several occasions, never with a happy result.
Agreed, worse than useless because someone might actually plan to use it and then have it not work when they need it.

Amex, please replace this "benefit" with something else, even a single used kleenex tissue would be of more use.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Were you trying to connect using a Boingo app? In most circumstances this is not necessary, and we have several reports that the service works better without the app.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:05 pm

I used this all over Australia and New Zealand. Several hotels I stayed at did not have "free" Wi-Fi but was able to use Boingo to access. I've used it a couple of time at hotels in the US that did not have the "free" Wi-Fi or the "free" was painfully slow.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:48 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'm a happy Boingo user (via Amex Plat)...

It's great at ORD when I leave the United Club and walk to the gate where I have an inevitable rolling delays every ten minutes...Too short to walk back to the Club, but long enough to stay connected to Boingo.

Was surprised it worked at Beijing airport recently...HOWEVER, my problem in China and elsewhere is that I frequently see "Connect to Boingo here" under some wireless networks, and sometimes I can never get connected. And if I try to go in through the app, it tells me to "turn on location services"...LOCATION SERVICES ARE SET TO ON! It's like a catch-22 circle that I haven't quite figured out how to break.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Were you trying to connect using a Boingo app? In most circumstances this is not necessary, and we have several reports that the service works better without the app.
Without the app, how do I know which signal I can connect to and what username/password to use?
Old May 13, 2015, 6:48 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fyugioh
Without the app, how do I know which signal I can connect to and what username/password to use?
Look at your available wireless networks...Often you'll see "Boingo" itself, sometimes you'll see other network names that say "Use Boingo Wifi Here" (or something like that)--although I only bat about .500 in my ability to connect to those.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Look at your available wireless networks...Often you'll see "Boingo" itself, sometimes you'll see other network names that say "Use Boingo Wifi Here" (or something like that)--although I only bat about .500 in my ability to connect to those.
You precisely get the message because of the app installed on your device. And even then you need to start the app (before or after connecting to the network) to establish connection.

As the previous poster said, if there's a way to enter username password without the app, can you provide more detailed steps?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
You precisely get the message because of the app installed on your device. And even then you need to start the app (before or after connecting to the network) to establish connection.

As the previous poster said, if there's a way to enter username password without the app, can you provide more detailed steps?
I think the key here is that you have to have recently opened the Boingo app, then go back to Settings to see if any Wifis show Boingo.

If I haven't been in the Boingo app for a while, that feature seems to disappear from my Wifi list in Settings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.