Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each personal card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • This rule does not apply to business cards. As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobby21
I have had amex deny me a bonus after spending $10k since I had another card <12 months back. If we get approved, how can we be sure we will get the bonus? Am I missing something? Or is everyone ok with the risk?
This.

Those who know their time lapses are less than 12 months know fully what the risk is.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
What is good for churners is NOT so good for non-churners. With some people getting hundreds of thousands or more of miles on FF programs, the airlines will keep going up on the number of miles needed for free flights and upgrades. Those of us who have one/two cards and use them actively for many years should be the ones rewarded, not those who get bonus miles, meet minimum spend, cancel, then repeat. It's great, Mr. Churner, that you now have hundreds of thousands of miles for free flights and/or upgrades, but it's not quite so good for us who see the required number of miles keep going up. I know I'll get grief for my opinion, but I see the value of my miles going down. I know what you are doing isn't unlawful, but it does hurt others.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Happy
Are you referring the apps done in 5 days apart, or referring the apps done on the same day?

I cannot see why the 2 pulls done on same day would not merge unless different cards generate pulls from different entities inside AMEX. That does not seem to be the case though as AMEX seems to not even differentiate the entities between personal and business app.
From my experience, I have done two Amex apps in a same day in August, and I was told that they will have to put my second app on hold for 5-6 days. When I check back later, I found that the two HP were indeed 5-6 days apart even tho I submit the app on the same day.

I am therefore guessing that when the apps are put on hold, they will not pull your credit on the same day and hence the two HP would not merged. But then, this is only my experience, others might have different situations.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sincera4565
but if the second app will be on hold, what is the reason for doing two apps at the same time then? From my experience, the two pulls wouldn't merge and your odds of approving are equal comparing to wait 5 days and apply.
So far, only one pull, but maybe they will do another one when I call back. Other folks have said they will not, but who knows if that's true. But since I was going to do those apps anyway, why not do them at the same time, and hope for only one pull?

Check back in 5 days and I'll let you know what happens.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
I have had amex deny me a bonus after spending $10k since I had another card <12 months back. If we get approved, how can we be sure we will get the bonus? Am I missing something? Or is everyone ok with the risk?
Originally Posted by Happy
This.

Those who know their time lapses are less than 12 months know fully what the risk is.
According to the original post on Dan's Deals that apparently started all of this, the 12 month rule is no longer in effect. So in this short time frame before May 1st one can indeed get the bonus even if they recently canceled the same card. There obviously is not enough time for repeated data points on this. But since the strongest probability is that after May 1st we will not have another chance to get the bonus, I think the best course of action is to try it out and see. Especially since the cards I am applying for have no AF the first year, so my only cost is the spend, which I can easily do courtesy of my local pharmacy and WallyMart. If I didn't have those nearby it might be different.

I would certainly not roll the dice on a MB Plat card.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
According to the original post on Dan's Deals that apparently started all of this, the 12 month rule is no longer in effect. So in this short time frame before May 1st one can indeed get the bonus even if they recently canceled the same card. There obviously is not enough time for repeated data points on this. But since the strongest probability is that after May 1st we will not have another chance to get the bonus, I think the best course of action is to try it out and see. Especially since the cards I am applying for have no AF the first year, so my only cost is the spend, which I can easily do courtesy of my local pharmacy and WallyMart. If I didn't have those nearby it might be different.

I would certainly not roll the dice on a MB Plat card.
Exactly, going to get one more Delta Amex and see what happens
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
What is good for churners is NOT so good for non-churners. With some people getting hundreds of thousands or more of miles on FF programs, the airlines will keep going up on the number of miles needed for free flights and upgrades. Those of us who have one/two cards and use them actively for many years should be the ones rewarded, not those who get bonus miles, meet minimum spend, cancel, then repeat. It's great, Mr. Churner, that you now have hundreds of thousands of miles for free flights and/or upgrades, but it's not quite so good for us who see the required number of miles keep going up. I know I'll get grief for my opinion, but I see the value of my miles going down. I know what you are doing isn't unlawful, but it does hurt others.
All this will do is take people like me who had no interest in Manufactured spending and get them to look into it as you get many more miles/points doing MS than on sign up bonuses
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
All this will do is take people like me who had no interest in Manufactured spending and get them to look into it as you get many more miles/points doing MS than on sign up bonuses.
I agree, and I am less upset about MS since the carholder is, indeed, making purchases.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
I agree, and I am less upset about MS since the carholder is, indeed, making purchases.
So you have a problem a person who gets a card , spends $1000 on legit everyday purchases and grabs ~30K delta miles ( not even enough miles a R/T flight in most cases) and was able to do once every 12 months or so.

But on the other hand you have no problem with a person who can get a $20K CL ( like I was just approved for ) doing MS to buy re-loadable cards and use AP to rack up 250K miles per year ( on just that one card) rather easily from what I see ?

Now I add in my Delta Business card, my Personal SPG and 20K more on my SPG Business and we're really talking not to mention the 5k bonus for every 20K miles transferred to Delta from SPG

That seems a bit odd to me as one MS can create 30- 40 times the miles a churner can thus devaluing the miles even further.

The guy who pointed me in the right direction for MS claims to be doing $125,000 a month and from what I read he is far from the only one doing that amount.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 21, 2014 at 9:29 pm
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
All this will do is take people like me who had no interest in Manufactured spending and get them to look into it as you get many more miles/points doing MS than on sign up bonuses
So true. We need to forget about "fair and proper". This is the way the Airlines and cc companies have set the game up. You can fume about it, but that won't change anything. The main way airlines have made any profit lately is by selling miles to cc companies. They want to sell as many miles as possible, so they inflate the miles outstanding, then devalue the awards. To just keep even you need to get more and more miles.

You can no longer even begin to keep up with regular spend, much less BIS flown miles. Over the years, sign up bonuses have gone from 15K, to 25K, to 50K, and now 100K. To get the same AA FC award to Europe that I got with three 50K ccs last year, I now have to get four 100K ccs. And the only possible way to cover that is massive MS.

Don't blame me, I didn't set the game up this way. I'm just playing the game according to the rules that the airlines and cc cos set up themselves.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:22 pm

So true. We need to forget about "fair and proper". This is the way the Airlines and cc companies have set the game up. You can fume about it, but that won't change anything. The main way airlines have made any profit lately is by selling miles to cc companies.

Don't blame me, I didn't set the game up this way. I'm just playing the game according to the rules that the airlines and cc cos set up themselves.
Exactly and I'm the type of person that from once I start MS I will push it as far as possible

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 22, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:04 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So I've been following this peripherally, but aware of the 5/1/2014 rule... so I figured I would apply for a SPG AMEX (last had product 2010) to get the bonus.. as I completed the application I noticed this verbiage
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Well I guess I'll see what happens...

FDW
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
So I've been following this peripherally, but aware of the 5/1/2014 rule... so I figured I would apply for a SPG AMEX (last had product 2010) to get the bonus.. as I completed the application I noticed this verbiage
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product.

Well I guess I'll see what happens...

FDW
All you are really risking is the hard pull. The AF is waived the first year, and the first 10K points are supposed to post after first purchase. So just put a small amount of spend on, and wait for the bonus points to post. When they do, and since you applied before May 1st I think they will, you can go ahead and start serious work on the minimum spend.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All you are really risking is the hard pull. The AF is waived the first year, and the first 10K points are supposed to post after first purchase. So just put a small amount of spend on, and wait for the bonus points to post. When they do, and since you applied before May 1st I think they will, you can go ahead and start serious work on the minimum spend.
Last year a family member got 10k but was denied 15 after meeing spend - amex claimed 1 yr rule.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Quote:

Last year a family member got 10k but was denied 15 after meeing spend - amex claimed 1 yr rule.
Hmm, was the application made within the one year period? If so, I can see Amex can claim that ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.