Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What is BBP?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
What is BBP?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1844512-usa-blue-business-plus-2x-first-50k-all-spend-each-year-intro-offer-ended.html

Last edited by IBxAnders; Oct 24, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is BBP?
And in case someone is about to ask :

Its predecessor BfB was:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-2017-a.html
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by frudd38
Worthless is a bit harsh as it's a no AF card that allows you to transfer the bank's main currency.. I don't believe the other banks have a no AF card with that option.

The transfer ability and amex offers with no AF are the biggest selling points of the card in my opinion.
Ok it’s not worthless but it certainly isn’t an “everyday” card, hence my point that the product line needs to be revamped. There’s no scenario I would use the ED card over the BBP except for AMEX offers (BTW I have had about 15 AMEX offers show up for the BBP this week!). The only time it out earns the BBP is on groceries with 20+ transactions, but the only way I’d get 20 transactions is if I sat at the self check out doing items one at a time. I’m not doing that for a whole year to earn an additional 2400 MR points.

As for the EDP 30 transactions is simply a lot for someone trying to maximize their rewards across multiple cards. I do think for someone who wants only 1 card the EDP is a good option if they can hit 30 transactions every month and they do the math and see if they would come out ahead with the BBP. I certainly do not have 30 transactions a month regularly. But I also don’t buy coffee or lunch out every day. There’s no problem for AMEX with the EDP other than I and I assume many others won’t be paying the $95 annual fee.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jags86
Ok it’s not worthless but it certainly isn’t an “everyday” card, hence my point that the product line needs to be revamped. There’s no scenario I would use the ED card over the BBP except for AMEX offers (BTW I have had about 15 AMEX offers show up for the BBP this week!). The only time it out earns the BBP is on groceries with 20+ transactions, but the only way I’d get 20 transactions is if I sat at the self check out doing items one at a time. I’m not doing that for a whole year to earn an additional 2400 MR points.
That's you, who knows that anyone (who knows how to answer the questions correctly) can apply for a business card without having a business.

But there's no way Amex will market the BBP card as a card for consumers, because officially it's a business card, and so officially it's only available to business owners.

So for consumers, officially Amex does not have a 2x-on-all-purchases card. And so for consumers, why can't Everyday be an "everyday" card? It doesn't mean they have to use it for everything, but for consumers with no business cards, it might work as the "groceries+default" card if they can't get beyond 1.2x on "random" purchases with any other card they have (and they don't particularly like annual fees).

I understand that you (and I) know how to get a business card even if we don't have a business if a business card works better for us for any reason. But the average Joe & Jane out there (never on FT, never on the blogs about credit card rewards) probably have no idea that these business cards even exist, let alone that they might be able to apply for them.

And Amex's marketing is based on the masses, not on FTers.

I think you're looking at Amex's card lineup too much through an FTers eyes'. I mean, it's fine for you to want Amex to do this or that, but I don't think it makes sense to expect for Amex to do this or that just because it would nice for FTers.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 5, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Better to use the Everyday card for 2X at groceries or use the Blue Sky Amex for 3x?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:47 am
mia

To my knowledge neither Blue Sky card earns a bonus at supermarkets, unless there is a temporary promotion.

Blue Sky points have a fixed redemption travel value of $0.0133. Everyday earns Membership Rewards, and the value of points varies with your redemption pattern. If you can earn 3 Blue Sky points per dollar, but only two Membership Rewards points (rather than 2.4 using the card 20 times in each cycle), the break even redemption is $0.02 per Membership Rewards point.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:56 am
Suspended

Hmm, that's strange. I could have sworn they gave bonus for groceries.

Oh well that makes the decision easier.

Might as well cancel it.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:58 am
mia

. I could have sworn they gave bonus for groceries.
Some of the Blue Cash cards do, but to my knowledge Blue Sky does not.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

OK, I have Blue Cash card, not Blue Sky -- tells you how much I've been using it.

So 3X points for up to $6000 a year versus 2 MR points for every dollar spent on the Every Day Amex.

Both no annual fee cards.

I've been mostly using Every Day Amex for groceries recently. Rarely do I get the monthly bonus for using 20 times though.

My main card is the Citi Double Cash, though I guess if I used the Amex instead, I could easily get 20 transactions for 2.4x MR points.

Hmm ...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:31 am
mia

OK, I have Blue Cash card, not Blue Sky

So 3X points for up to $6000 a year...
That's Blue Cash Everyday. You can earn $0.03 or 2 Membership Rewards points. The breakeven redemption value for the points is $0.015/point.

I usually make two supermarket purchases per week, and I fill out the 20 by using the card to make ~dozen transactions of $2.00 or less: coffee, transit, parking.

Last edited by mia; Oct 9, 2017 at 10:37 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
That's Blue Cash Everyday. You can earn $0.03 or 2 Membership Rewards points. The breakeven redemption value for the points is $0.015/point.

I usually make two supermarket purchases per week, and I fill out the 20 by using the card by making ~dozen transactions of $2.00 or less: coffee, transit, parking.
So in this case, both would be over the breakeven value?

Hmm, you'd think Amex would crack down on small transactions obviously intended to hit the threshold.

At least we're not in Europe where they often have minimum transaction amounts in order to use credit cards. Typically 20 or 25 Euros at many places.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Question Everyday Preferred 50% bonus calculation

I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I would think this must've been discussed somewhere in this forum, but here goes anyways....

Does anyone know how the Amex Everyday Preferred 50% monthly bonus for 30+ transactions gets calculated?

Looking at a succession of monthly statements, it mostly seems like they award the bonus on the next statement based on the current statement. For example, say I see the following at the bottom of my monthly statement:

Total points on eligible charges: 1000
50% bonus points: 800
Total bonus points awarded: 2000

Then my next month's 50% bonus would be: (1000+2000-800)/2 = 1100.

That works for most months, but not all. To top it off, one month I didn't hit 30 transactions, but my 50% bonus was not listed until 2 statements later! Anybody figure out this convoluted system?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. I would think this must've been discussed somewhere in this forum, but here goes anyways....

Does anyone know how the Amex Everyday Preferred 50% monthly bonus for 30+ transactions gets calculated?

Looking at a succession of monthly statements, it mostly seems like they award the bonus on the next statement based on the current statement. For example, say I see the following at the bottom of my monthly statement:

Total points on eligible charges: 1000
50% bonus points: 800
Total bonus points awarded: 2000

Then my next month's 50% bonus would be: (1000+2000-800)/2 = 1100.

That works for most months, but not all. To top it off, one month I didn't hit 30 transactions, but my 50% bonus was not listed until 2 statements later! Anybody figure out this convoluted system?
Go to Membership Rewards details page and see it there. You will per transaction awarded points.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by jags86

As for the EDP 30 transactions is simply a lot for someone trying to maximize their rewards across multiple cards. I do think for someone who wants only 1 card the EDP is a good option if they can hit 30 transactions every month and they do the math and see if they would come out ahead with the BBP. I certainly do not have 30 transactions a month regularly. But I also don’t buy coffee or lunch out every day. There’s no problem for AMEX with the EDP other than I and I assume many others won’t be paying the $95 annual fee.
I like EDP a lot. It's the best card for groceries and gas. The rest I put on BBP or USB AR w/Samsung Pay. I'm planning to cancel USB AR and keep BBP. I usually make 30+ transactions per cycle, and if not then I fill it with 50c Amazon reloads. I have 2 EDPs, because $6000 per year is not enough for my family to spend on groceries, and if I'm under $6k, then I fill it with buying GCs at grocery stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.