Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:55 am

The value of flying with delta keeps going down. It is time to cancel both my delta card and amex platinum.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Preisdents Club, Marriott Platinum
I haven't received any email yet, but I'm sure it's coming.
Two questions.
What access do you get with DM status? Are you still able to bring guests in?
How does this affect Skyteam lounges, say AMS or CDG? Can we still bring guests in there?

Understandable to make the club more 'exclusive', however I don't agree that it should have been a sneak attack. CC's are decided based on these benefits.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: DL GM, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
As I understand, DM gets complimentary Executive membership status, which allows two free guests.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:03 am

And not a peep out of Amex. I wonder if they were blindsided or just trying to figure it out. (or perhaps don't care)

I just paid my renewal and supplemental renewal and am now rethinking that $5K spend.

The hits keep on coming
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
I too received the e-mail this morning from Delta. AMEX must have shared their member list in order to make it happen so I am guessing they knew it was coming. Very disappointing indeed.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by jmbgolfer
While the fine print says credit cards generally, I am hoping that the Delta Reserve Amex is exempt. I e-mailed Delta just now to ask, but I'm not feeling confident. Too bad, that was one of the better perks.
I have the Delta Reserve and just got the email. Man am I frosted .
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Wow - at least the third thread on the subject already.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:09 am

It looks like they are giving Diamonds a soft landing. This is from my e-mail notification:

"Diamond Medallion® members will continue to enjoy complimentary Executive Membership through the 2014 Medallion year. If you qualify for 2015 Diamond Medallion status, you will receive a complimentary Individual Membership beginning March 1, 2015. And, if guest access is a priority, you may upgrade to an Executive Membership as one of your Choice Benefits or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. "

For me, this means I will be very likely using one of my choice benefits. I find that having the lounge for coworkers and family is a significant perk.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM, MM, LH, HHgold, Hertz Gold
$695 annually for Gordon's Gin???? They better be bringing back the Woodford, gratis!!!!!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Amex Plat hasn't made an official announcement. They might very well negotiate with Delta and eat the cost of an additional guest. We shall see...
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Got the email this a.m. $695? effective immediately
the hits just keep on coming
Boo Delta, BOO!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Bigserver1
My question is kids. Typically children under two are free in any lounge, but what does this mean for kids that are 3-15? You've got to be at least 15 to have an additional card with Amex. Is the idea that any time you travel with your kids you're paying $29 a head or sitting in the general terminal?

Not a great deal for family travel. It's unfortunate.
Exactly my situation. I'd gladly suck up the supplemental card fee, but I'm a few years off from the kids being old enough.

This may or may not be enough for me to drop the Plat card, but it may very well be the final straw in my relationship with Delta.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've already received my $200 statement credit for 2014, and as an ATL based Platinum holder, this Delta news does it for me. Called in and cancelled the card today.

For what it's worth, retention line offered me either 25,000 MR points or a $200 statement to keep the card open. But I'd prefer to just re-apply and get a new bonus when they (hopefully) sort the airline benefits downward spiral out.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If they had also announced a dramatic increase in benefits...i.e., going back to a full bar, real food, etc, then I could maybe see this. This, however, is a cash grab.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
I have the Delta Reserve and just got the email. Man am I frosted .
I was dropping mine back down to a regular DL Plat card in May anyway...Not worth the money before (at least as a DM)...now it makes even less difference.

That said, I am not opposed to this necessarily, since I am usually on DL by myself and when I am not it is with the wife travelling internationally...and she is getting in anyway. Should have the clubs be a bit quieter and less jammed...and the food/bev might get better also...then again unicorns might also be put in place as entry dragons!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.