FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1540054-delta-skyclub-no-more-free-guests-effective-5-1-2014-a.html)

FPRob Jan 10, 2014 7:03 am

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014

What does everyone think about losing the ability to bring two guests into delta clubs?

mia Jan 10, 2014 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FPRob (Post 22124745)
What does everyone think about losing the ability to bring two guests into delta clubs?

Do you have a link to an announcement of a change in the guest benefit? I still see:

For Delta Sky Club® lounges the member must be 18 where there is no self-service bar. The Platinum member must be 21 years of age to enter into all Airport Club Lounges where there is a self-service bar. Local age restrictions apply in non-U.S. locations. The Platinum member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests.
http://exploreplatinum.americanexpre...enefits/Travel

rpk113 Jan 10, 2014 7:21 am

Delta now fleecing Amex Plats/Cent for skyclub fees

Looks like we are losing free guests into the skyclub..

Even with these investments, we occasionally hear that overcrowding can be an issue. To maintain the Club's exclusive atmosphere, the following changes are being introduced:
• Effective immediately, membership price is $695 annually. This Executive Membership will continue to allow two complimentary guests.
• For those customers who rarely need guest access, an Individual Membership at the current rate of $450 will be introduced Spring 2014. This membership will allow guest access for $29 per visit.
• Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest will apply.

How much further can these cards plummet? Losing Continental, AA, US and now the one airline they have in their pocket. You need to pay for guests..

Cypriote Jan 10, 2014 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 22124831)
Do you have a link to an announcement of a change in the guest benefit?

I just received an email from Delta that says:
"Begining May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complementary guest access. A $29 fee per guest will apply."

This puts the last nail in the Amex Plat coffin IMO.

FPRob Jan 10, 2014 7:23 am

Airport lounge access with Amex Platinum charge card, including Centurion lounges.

I'm on mobile so can't link, but Delta revised their membership options for the SkyClub. There is a new thread on the Delta forum. They say that as of March 1, credit and charge card holders will no longer be able to bring guests free into the club.

barney44 Jan 10, 2014 7:25 am

Card is losing value quickly

Just lost US/AA access now Delta access is for all practical purposes worthless too.

It was not clear, does guest mean non related parties, or is spouse and children still allowed in?

Centurion Lounges are too far and few between, AMEX is going to really need to step it up. The 200.00 airline credit only goes so far. Even that is tighter now as I was rejected on a 200.00 United Gift Card.

tomcat007 Jan 10, 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by rpk113 (Post 22124852)
Looks like we are losing free guests into the skyclub..

Even with these investments, we occasionally hear that overcrowding can be an issue. To maintain the Club's exclusive atmosphere, the following changes are being introduced:
• Effective immediately, membership price is $695 annually. This Executive Membership will continue to allow two complimentary guests.
• For those customers who rarely need guest access, an Individual Membership at the current rate of $450 will be introduced Spring 2014. This membership will allow guest access for $29 per visit.
• Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest will apply.

How much further can these cards plummet? Losing Continental, AA, US and now the one airline they have in their pocket. You need to pay for guests..

Yeah , I just got this too. I think the Amex Platinum is done for.

sis22 Jan 10, 2014 7:26 am

Delta now fleecing Amex Plats/Cent for skyclub fees

What value does Amex play bring now?
200 airline credit...ok
I use the concierge a bit for reservations...

But that's all...

Priority pass gives me access to all the mediocre lounges across the world.....not sure if its worth it now....

DrivingRain Jan 10, 2014 7:27 am

Originally Posted by FPRob (Post 22124878)
I'm on mobile so can't link, but Delta revised their membership options for the SkyClub. There is a new thread on the Delta forum. They say that as of March 1, credit and charge card holders will no longer be able to bring guests free into the club.

Yes, as noted upthread:
Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest will apply.
If you are an existing Club member, you now have an Executive Membership for the duration of your current membership agreement.

agent0068 Jan 10, 2014 7:28 am

this is infuriating

tingalex Jan 10, 2014 7:29 am

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guest

Email from Delta this morning:
Effective immediately, membership price is $695 annually. This Executive Membership will continue to allow two complimentary guests.

For those customers who rarely need guest access, an Individual Membership at the current rate of $450 will be introduced Spring 2014. This membership will allow guest access for $29 per visit.

Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest will apply.

Great, the next step in the latest round of devaluations.

NoStressHere Jan 10, 2014 7:30 am

Between loss of US Air lounges this spring, and no wife access to lounge in May with Delta... poof... there goes that perk.

Really trying to see the value of keeping the card.

SeahawksNYC Jan 10, 2014 7:32 am

Just got the same note - even more expensive than a guest under Priority Pass. Assuming there won't be any kind of response from Amex either...

FlyAO2 Jan 10, 2014 7:34 am

They're going to have to step it up with something else or drop prices - we'll see what they come up with.

When we lost CO lounges we got the $200 credit....need something close to that or I'm gone

rpk113 Jan 10, 2014 7:36 am

I think amex needs to step in quick. for all the high end (i.e. $450 a year) cards, they include full membership. Now I know the delta reserve card does that but, $450 for this... Pathetic...