Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:12 pm

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away

Our status is gone for sure in March. This is the biggest blow to the card and the only reason I keep paying the $2500 fee. See below from Amex.

"
With the merger of American and US Airways, effective March 22, 2014 - the benefits you received because of your American Express card will no longer be valid. The only way your Platinum status will continue (as I previously mentioned) is if you earned status based on US Airways requirements. The renewal dates don't have an impact - the dates were communicated to us by American Airlines/US Airways."
Old Dec 6, 2013, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Again, this may be the case, but I don't think the boneheads that are communicating information really know so I would not rely on their statements. The official letter is not clear on this point.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
The official email says that the benefit is going away on 3/22, but status will remain until the end of the program year. I am hoping that since the program year starts on 3/1/14 that the status will stay until 2/28/15.

Should be interesting to see what happens.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:36 am

I got as best a clarification that I could.

The benefit goes away in Feb PERIOD. If you qualified for status with the airline during the last year then your benefits will continue but if you did not you will drop on 2/28/14 to whatever their lowest level is.

The only loophole that I have found is doing the buy up from Plat to Chairmans while you can. If you do this then Chairman level will be valid thru 2/28/15
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by sdix
The only loophole that I have found is doing the buy up from Plat to Chairmans while you can. If you do this then Chairman level will be valid thru 2/28/15
Is this confirmed to work and, if done, will it transfer to the highest AA status?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by sdix
I got as best a clarification that I could.

The benefit goes away in Feb PERIOD. If you qualified for status with the airline during the last year then your benefits will continue but if you did not you will drop on 2/28/14 to whatever their lowest level is.

That is contradictory to even what they sent out in the email. The email specifically stated:

"Centurion Members who have enrolled or renewed their US Airways status prior to March 22, 2014 will continue to access Platinum Preferred status benefits through the end of their current membership period."

Since the status period runs from 3/1 - 2/28 I would hope that we are given one more year of Plat. Our enrollment and renewal time with US Airways is 3/1 so we should keep our status through 2/28/15 as that would be the end of that current membership period.

Do you have any written documentation that the benefits are going away at the end of Feb? We all know how well it goes over to make a blanket statement and end it by saying, "blah, blah, blah.. PERIOD". Perhaps ask the current administration how well that is going for them.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
That is contradictory to even what they sent out in the email. The email specifically stated:

"Centurion Members who have enrolled or renewed their US Airways status prior to March 22, 2014 will continue to access Platinum Preferred status benefits through the end of their current membership period."

Since the status period runs from 3/1 - 2/28 I would hope that we are given one more year of Plat. Our enrollment and renewal time with US Airways is 3/1 so we should keep our status through 2/28/15 as that would be the end of that current membership period.

Do you have any written documentation that the benefits are going away at the end of Feb? We all know how well it goes over to make a blanket statement and end it by saying, "blah, blah, blah.. PERIOD". Perhaps ask the current administration how well that is going for them.
As I said:

-------------
--------------
This came from Amex Centurion via Email - which I consider written.

Your point above is not well written. You say: Centurion Members who have enrolled or renewed their US Airways status prior to March 22, 2014 will continue to access Platinum Preferred status benefits through the end of their current membership period.

Amex say: If you renewed (re-qualifyed by flying the miles) your status will renew.

Both are pretty ambiguous so I guess time will tell.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Is this confirmed to work and, if done, will it transfer to the highest AA status?
Yes it will work. It does however cost $2300 or so

In January the amount may come down but since it's based on your actual 2012 or 2013 miles it may not.

Will it transfer to EXP on AA? Well that's the question. If it does and you get all the benefits of EXP then the $2300 could be worth it.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

My point of, "Centurion Members who have enrolled or renewed their US Airways status prior to March 22, 2014 will continue to access Platinum Preferred status benefits through the end of their current membership period." came directly from the Amex email that they sent us. So, if it wasn't well written it would be Amex at fault, not me.

I didn't see the language that you said they wrote in the email that we got. Did you get that in writing from an Amex online chat? It seems odd that Amex would take the official hard line of saying the benefits are done PERIOD.

Here is a link to a copy of the exact email that we got from the Centurion desk. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21902621-post12.html
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

There always seem to come a time when the OP, in this case me, regrets starting a thread. That point is approaching.

AMEX's original communication is open to varying interpretations, and the possibility that US/AA have plans for a change to the elite year ending date for all members for 2013. The additional information that some of us have received from AMEX has not been consistent, adding to potential confusion.

I would suggest that everyone move on from arguing that their speculation is better than someone else's speculation. When there are new factual developments let's discuss what that means!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Wonder what Centurion could possibly add to make up for the loss of status on US (and even for the loss of CO from a while back). UA is clearly deep with Chase, now AA/US are off the table. Who's left - AS? VX? B6? I suppose there are also foreign carriers but those likely won't be of much benefit to US cardholders
They didn't replace the loss of CO Elite with anything. I doubt they will replace the loss of US Elite with anything.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
There always seem to come a time when the OP, in this case me, regrets starting a thread. That point is approaching.

AMEX's original communication is open to varying interpretations, and the possibility that US/AA have plans for a change to the elite year ending date for all members for 2013. The additional information that some of us have received from AMEX has not been consistent, adding to potential confusion.

I would suggest that everyone move on from arguing that their speculation is better than someone else's speculation. When there are new factual developments let's discuss what that means!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
I disagree with your speculation about the speculations of the speculations going on in this thread. I will speculate something else!

I look forward to seeing what actually happens with the status. I think one thing is clear, we are all hoping that we have the status for one more year. Of course, that is just speculation.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by aviators99
They didn't replace the loss of CO Elite with anything. I doubt they will replace the loss of US Elite with anything.
But with the loss of CO they still had numerous options to fall back on including 2 domestic airline statuses and 3 airline club options. Now they're left with only 1 airline and 1 club option (and that club is only with same-day travel on DL, unlike US which was accessible anytime). Yes, there is VS, but I'd guess that status is pretty useless on a regular basis to most cardmembers.

The situation is a bit more serious now
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
But with the loss of CO they still had numerous options to fall back on including 2 domestic airline statuses and 3 airline club options. Now they're left with only 1 airline and 1 club option (and that club is only with same-day travel on DL, unlike US which was accessible anytime). Yes, there is VS, but I'd guess that status is pretty useless on a regular basis to most cardmembers.

The situation is a bit more serious now
VS has also been announced to be ending.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
The Centurion customer care rep I spoke with last night was very well informed on the situation and advised me that US Airways platinum status wont expire until Feb 2015...has to do with the contract expiry dates. How accurate is this, no idea but it makes sense from my perspective. We will see in a few weeks for ourselves anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.