Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Hawaii on Amex Points [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by FT2013
Called again to verify now that we've determined our dates for sure and this time I was told S$194 per person... that's quite a bit more. And United is showing only $10 per person now... So which do you guys think is a better award (for the exact same flights):

80K united miles + $20
70K Amex MRs + ~$310

The reason I wanted to use my Amex was I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these miles, but I'm sure I could find something eventually...
Did you price out ANA? 38K r/t Coach per person = 76K for 2. Should be same fees as United quotes. And that way you can get rid of your MRs.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
Did you price out ANA? 38K r/t Coach per person = 76K for 2. Should be same fees as United quotes. And that way you can get rid of your MRs.
Your prior post said 43K for RT tickets (which I wouldn't have quite enough for) so I didn't look into it. Oops.

Originally Posted by boilerhoops10
Are you including a stopover? Originally that was our plan but that jacked up the fees to the neighborhood you are quoting. When I took out the stopover it was only a few dollars/ticket for fees.

I'd try for another agent and press them on the fees stating there should be no fuel surcharges.
No stopover, maybe she gave me bad info. I figured I should assume the worst case if I'm going to transfer and potentially have my points stuck there. Also, she couldn't find award availability on the flights I wanted so I would have had to settle on some times which were not preferable (though still the same day as United's availability)

Anyway, last weekend I ended up booking on United. I noticed one award flight disappeared and I started to worry that I had to jump on something. I got the itinerary I wanted and also thought that perhaps it's more prudent to save my MRs for a good transfer bonus instead of trying to burn through them to conserve United miles.

Thanks everyone! While perhaps not the most optimal in the end, I'm happy getting my 2.67 cents per mile.

All my award booking up until now has been much simpler (i.e., lot of Southwest flights with CP), so this was eye opening that I have a lot learn about getting the best value for larger redemptions. Obviously many of you have learned this through years of experience... Any tips on where I should start reading to better understand the options of partner redemptions, transfers, etc?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:20 am

I just wanted to thank this group in helping me get ideas on booking my first award. So next spring my family of 4 will be traveling AUS-PSP-LAX-HNL-DFW-GRK. All in all, it cost us 90K AA miles, 90K BA miles, and $50.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mia
You could also use Membership Rewards points for these UA flights by redeeming through one of these Star Alliance partners: AC, NH or SQ.
I'm thinking of xferring my 80K MR to a *A partner & then booking a r/t to Hawaii in FC on UA, BOI-OGG or KOA. Which *A partner would have the best UA availability in FC and which ones 'cost' no more than 80K miles? I have no miles with any of UA's *A partners now.

TIA
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by philemer
Originally Posted by mia
You could also use Membership Rewards points for these UA flights by redeeming through one of these Star Alliance partners: AC, NH or SQ.
I'm thinking of xferring my 80K MR to a *A partner & then booking a r/t to Hawaii in FC on UA, BOI-OGG or KOA. Which *A partner would have the best UA availability in FC and which ones 'cost' no more than 80K miles? I have no miles with any of UA's *A partners now.

TIA
UA's Star Alliance partners should have access to UA SAAver award space, so look for SAAver seats at united.com.

As to which partner costs the least, you'll have to look at each partner's award chart. Note that you'll be traveling in F on UA's two-cabin aircraft; that might make a difference as to the cost of the award with some partners (i.e., some partners might price it as a lower-cost Business Class award).
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: Cathy Pacific Silver, Hilton Honors Gold, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by philemer

TIA
Look at Kris Flyer miles. I believe you can get Biz class for 60k RT.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by JWEMTX
I just wanted to thank this group in helping me get ideas on booking my first award. So next spring my family of 4 will be traveling AUS-PSP-LAX-HNL-DFW-GRK. All in all, it cost us 90K AA miles, 90K BA miles, and $50.
awesome! Only paying $50 on top of the points is amazingly good.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
Using points to Hawaii

Planning a trip to Hawaii this November. The 2 of us are wondering which airline has the best point to mile transfer rate an the best airline for the trip? Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Assuming you live on the west coast, transferring to BA Avios and using that to buy Alaska Air (or AA) tickets to fly would be the cheapest. It works out to 25K avios round trip while other Amex partners charge ~40K miles.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by u2g0d
Assuming you live on the west coast, transferring to BA Avios and using that to buy Alaska Air (or AA) tickets to fly would be the cheapest. It works out to 25K avios round trip while other Amex partners charge ~40K miles.
Ditto. I'm flying OAK to HNL on Alaska this morning. Booked with Avios. Factoring in the last 20% transfer bonus (which isn't even the highest they've offered), two round trip tickets set me back a total of 42k MR points -- nearly half what you'd pay on any other airline. Even if you they aren't running a bonus, 25k each is a great deal.

Check Alaska's website for availability: you're looking for the nonstop flights with 20k prices (connecting flights increase the price when using Avios). Once you find the flights you want, you'll need to call BA to book. The MR tranfsfer is instant, so set up the transfer but hold short of clicking the final submit button. Once the BA agent confirms that they see the available flights, they'll apologize to you that you don't enough points. Submit the transfer and ask them to look again. In my experience, they waive the phone booking fee (AS flights can't be booked online) but ymmv.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: Platinum Card Rewards
Hey thanks for the help.

I will look into Avios. Looks like it's a good thing.
Just need to find time to read and get up to date with how things are done.

Originally Posted by Daveyb101
Ditto. I'm flying OAK to HNL on Alaska this morning. Booked with Avios. Factoring in the last 20% transfer bonus (which isn't even the highest they've offered), two round trip tickets set me back a total of 42k MR points -- nearly half what you'd pay on any other airline. Even if you they aren't running a bonus, 25k each is a great deal.

Check Alaska's website for availability: you're looking for the nonstop flights with 20k prices (connecting flights increase the price when using Avios). Once you find the flights you want, you'll need to call BA to book. The MR tranfsfer is instant, so set up the transfer but hold short of clicking the final submit button. Once the BA agent confirms that they see the available flights, they'll apologize to you that you don't enough points. Submit the transfer and ask them to look again. In my experience, they waive the phone booking fee (AS flights can't be booked online) but ymmv.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:01 am

i just booked the hawaii trip for me and friends with family recently for Feb 27th - Mar 9th. Booked DFW-HNL nonstop oneway for 100K BA avios for 5 roundtrip tickets. Return from diff island OGG-DFW for 87.5K AA miles for 5 tickets. Taxes were 2.50$/ticket. The price of the ticket was around 700 round trip and will get 575$ per ticket for each tkt from 2 friends. Also, the trip is 10 days, booked flight from LIH-OGG for 5K miles, i had 5K miles in my daugthers account which i could find a use for..the ticket price is approx. 100$. For ticket between HNL-LIH i just bought it for 65$ instead of using 5K miles.

Still have 65K MR points but could not find a way to use for hotels, so just booked it with cc (they are expensive in Hawaii!) Hope it helps!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:15 am

MR options MSP>OGG Or HNL Feb2015

This will be my second ever redemption--had okay luck going to France via Flying Blue. Looking to book for two travelers from MSP > OGG, or HNL if necessary, in or around February 2015.

What are the best options being in a Delta hub? I've got about 90k MR remaining, economy is fine.

We are also open to jumping down to ORD.

Appreciate any tips/ideas!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

SpunkyGD's inquiry has been appended to the established thread. Reviewing the previous discussions should get you started.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:34 pm

Hawaii on MR - Best way?

I'm not a MR person myself but a friend of mine recently asked me what the best way is to get to Hawaii on MR points. Thought I'd check in here and see if there are any suggestions.

I know there's a ton of transfer partners for MR but wasn't sure if that's the best route to go or if he'd be better off just booking the whole thing via MR directly.

He's looking for airfare for two from the continental US and a 7 night stay. He's got like 300,000+ MR points. Thanks for any suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.