Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Hawaii on Amex Points [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Getting to Hawaii on Amex Points [Consolidated]

We want to go to Hawaii for 8 days in November. We don't care if we fly first or economy. Have 100k MR points, 50 K UR points, and 140K Marriot points. Best redemption of the MR points?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
What country was your card issued in?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by c3troop
We want to go to Hawaii for 8 days in November. We don't care if we fly first or economy. Have 100k MR points, 50 K UR points, and 140K Marriot points. Best redemption of the MR points?
The answer depends very much on what city you're starting from.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Issued in the us. Starting city Austin TX. Don't even know which island to go to.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you can find SAAver award seats on aa.com via DFW to HNL/OGG, or via LAX to HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA, you should be able to get two roundtrip Coach tickets for between 90,000 and 99,000 British Airways Avios. (The actual amount needed will depend on the exact routing.)

If you can find Saver award seats on united.com via IAH, SFO, or maybe DEN, then you should be able to get two roundtrip Coach tickets for 86,000 ANA miles.

It's also possible to redeem Aeroplan miles for award travel on UA, but I don't know what Aeroplan currently charges for a Mainland U.S.-Hawaii Coach roundtrip award.

Note that there are occasionally transfer bonuses of between 30-50% when transferring MR points to BA Avios. If you can find SAAver award seats on aa.com, and catch a transfer bonus from MR to Avios, that would probably be the least expensive use of MR points for such a trip.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Membership Rewards points transfer to Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin America Airlines, both of which fly to Hawaii, but I don't know if from your area. The also transfer to Air Canada, a Star Alliance member - so they can put you on a United Airlines flight to Hawaii. They also transfer to Delta Airlines, but it is near impossible to find a Delta award ticket to Hawaii.

Be sure to first check to see if an award ticket is available before you transfer MR points.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Until now I have only used UR points so mR are new to me
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:54 pm

I'm in a somewhat similar situation.

I am looking to book a trip SAN - OGG in August. I would prefer to use my MR points (I have about 90k) but could also use UR or United MP. I know I can transfer to Hawaiian, Air Canada, and (if I can find availability, which is less likely) BA - what options am I missing? Specifically, are there any transfer partners that allow for redemption on Alaska Air? Alaska flies a nonstop from SAN to OGG that would be convenient if I could find partner availability.

Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA Avios can be redeemed for travel on both AA and AS. However, Avios redemptions for travel on AS cannot be done at ba.com; a call to the BAEC Service Center is required.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

BA Avios can be redeemed for travel on both AA and AS. However, Avios redemptions for travel on AS cannot be done at ba.com; a call to the BAEC Service Center is required.
Good to know - any way to know if there is availability? Is it just any time there is low-level redemption on AS available?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just low-level award seats can be booked with Avios.

I would probably do a search on aa.com, and include partners; if there is low-level award availability on the AS nonstop, it will show up on aa.com as a SAAver award (along with other routings, too).
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

Just low-level award seats can be booked with Avios.

I would probably do a search on aa.com, and include partners; if there is low-level award availability on the AS nonstop, it will show up on aa.com as a SAAver award (along with other routings, too).
Thanks for the insight. I was having a hard time understanding why all of the AA low-level awards weren't showing up on the BA site - that would explain why.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, US Air Gold
IMHO, AS is great to Hawaii. I've also found that they have pretty good award availability in general.

And to clarify an earlier point, Virgin America doesn't actually fly to Hawaii, but they do partner with Hawaiian. VA is normally a per-dollar program, but there can be some good or bad values when redeeming on their new partners.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by charlesfromage
IMHO, AS is great to Hawaii. I've also found that they have pretty good award availability in general.

And to clarify an earlier point, Virgin America doesn't actually fly to Hawaii, but they do partner with Hawaiian. VA is normally a per-dollar program, but there can be some good or bad values when redeeming on their new partners.
My dates were pretty fixed so I couldn't go both ways on AS. I was able to get two AS flights with BA miles, one way, for 12,500 miles each. This is great because it is nonstop for me - the only problem being that only the evening flight was available so we lose about a day of our trip. The return was more difficult but I was able to find HA flights for 30,000 miles one-way. Not the best redemption, but it allowed me to clear out my MR points so that I won't have to pay the annual fee on my PRG - which is set to hit at the beginning of April. I wish I knew VA was another way to book HA flights - it might have been a better redemption value.

My other option was to use Aeroplan, but their redemptions were at a higher point level and also would have required an overnight connection in SF on the way back.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:43 pm

you could also convert them to ANA and redeem on United. Milevalue has a great post today. Direct connections from Houston

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.