FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express (USA) replaces Email (SM) with Chat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1490907-american-express-usa-replaces-email-sm-chat.html)

uneeq Nov 25, 2013 4:12 pm

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO NEED TO GET CHAT TO OPEN UP

Go to "Payments" and click "Make A Payment." From that screen, there should always be a "Chat" button at the top right.

fishy21 Dec 2, 2013 12:25 am

This chat feature is a POS. I wasted 15 minutes of my time trying to get something resolved when the system disconnected me. The agent didn't even get my name right! What was wrong with SM? Bad move AX.

flyer4512 Dec 2, 2013 4:19 pm

I finally got the chat window to show under payments, I tried several times over multiple days and the chat window was not there.

I did get them to lower my CL limit so the service was good.

I asked when Chat is available and he told me 24x7.

I then told him I couldn't access chat for days and he told me they are still working on it.

Not to get political ( it's a joke) but maybe the same people worked on the ACA websites, lol

jsnydcsa Dec 4, 2013 10:22 pm

I didn't see the chat (or secure email function anywhere) in Firefox - which I have locked down with a number of anti-spy-whatever add-ons. I don't "blame" this on AMEX b/c I've added this stuff (and, Firefox does the same on a number of other sites).

I went to AMEX using Safari and saw the options up there. Though the layout and formatting looked a bit hinky. Clicking on the [Envelope] link (thinking I may still be in rarified-beta-reversal-to-email group) only brought up a message s/s "We're moving to chat." Wasn't able, despite a couple of log ins to get a chat window to come up.

So, no clear option for me to force chat in either Firefox or Safari. Frustrating.

I'll call, take more of their time and request an email or US mail confirmation of whatever we discuss.

skeurto Dec 5, 2013 9:01 am

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa (Post 21906225)
I didn't see the chat (or secure email function anywhere) in Firefox - which I have locked down with a number of anti-spy-whatever add-ons. I don't "blame" this on AMEX b/c I've added this stuff (and, Firefox does the same on a number of other sites).

It requires third party javascript, so if you are a NoScript user, you need to enable the other sites ensighten.com and liveperson.net

Personally, I consider this a security flaw since I am trusting financial information to externally hosted code and companies which I have no relationship with. That's in addition to chat being cumbersome and time consuming. Thanks AMEX!

flyer4512 Dec 5, 2013 6:42 pm

When I go into payments sometimes I have to let the browser sit for about 2 minutes before the chat icon shows up.

uneeq Dec 12, 2013 10:36 am

The constant (smile)'s in chat are getting creepy...

Just got off the chat with another rep from AmEx where I was constantly getting send (smile) every 3rd message or so. Is it just me or is that weird?

Wondering if it's starting to bug anyone else yet.

sdsearch Dec 20, 2013 7:28 am

no way to contact Amex via Secure Message or email???

I've been running around their website trying to figure this out. I go to secure message center, and there's no way to send a new message (like there is at other banks). There's only Ask a Question, and if my question isn't on there, tough. It suggests Chat, but Chat is giving me an estimated 18 minute wait, no thanks. I googled email American Express and found an email ([email protected]) at the GetHuman website, and sent an email there, and got a useless response:
Dear Customer:

This message is automatically generated.

You have replied to a non-secure e-mail address that is not monitored for
replies, and we will not be able to respond to your question(s) through this
channel.

So that we may best service your question(s), we ask that you call the number on
the back of your Card or visit our website for a list of phone numbers.

http://www.americanexpress.com/contact

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Service
but of course that link takes me back to where I started, with no hint of how to contact them online other than chat or some share my screen (which didn't work for me either, probably because I didn't wait 18 minutes :rolleyes:).

So I finally tried to call, and the automated message asks me a zillion questions, and when I answer the last one, the phone goes fast busy!!!

This is customer service??? :confused: :td:

mia Dec 20, 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 21999970)
I've been running around their website trying to figure this out.

I have appended your post to the established thread on this topic. Since August there is no longer any email facility, only online Chat or telephone.

sdsearch Dec 21, 2013 8:08 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 21999970)
It suggests Chat, but Chat is giving me an estimated 18 minute wait, no thanks.

(First Chat attempt actually said 10 minutes, it was a second attempt that said 18 minutes.)

So I waited a few hours, and finally this time it said the Chat would be available within 1 minute.

Well, while the Chat worked ok, it took forever. It was a zillion questions, repeating the same "are you sure" several times, with an identity verification in the middle.

It is so much easier to cancel cards online at Citi via SM (send one SM with about one sentence in it, check back a few hours later, done!), and so based on this experience I would rate Citi's online customer support way above Amex's at this point.

IMHO this one decision to force Chat on people as the online communication (combined with my fail at doing this by phone also) has completely reversed my opinion overall of Amex customer service. (And I told them so much in survey they gave me after the chat, in case anyone at Amex reads those.)

lobo411 Dec 21, 2013 10:21 am

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 21954124)
Just got off the chat with another rep from AmEx where I was constantly getting send (smile) every 3rd message or so. Is it just me or is that weird?

Wondering if it's starting to bug anyone else yet.

I got those too. I wasn't sure if they were waiting for me to ask A/S/L or for them to send me a face pic. :p

rjs11 Dec 21, 2013 11:02 am

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 22006498)
I got those too. I wasn't sure if they were waiting for me to ask A/S/L or for them to send me a face pic. :p

I got the emoticons as well. Somewhat annoying. More annoying is having to type in the security key EVERY TIME.

What I hate most about chatting with Amex and Amazon (!!) is how much time is wasted with retyping the same information and indulging in needless pleasantries.

edweird Dec 22, 2013 1:05 pm

Chat was unavailable yesterday when I logged into the AMEX site and wanted to ask a question not found in the FAQ. Service delivery failure in my opinion.

lkar Jan 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Secured E-mail Gone?

Sorry if this has been covered, but has Amex done away with secured mail? It now looks like all I get when I try to use the little envelope icon is linked to some social chatter nonsense or to live chat.

User Name Jan 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 22153830)
Sorry if this has been covered, but has Amex done away with secured mail? It now looks like all I get when I try to use the little envelope icon is linked to some social chatter nonsense or to live chat.

Yes it's gone, and it's been replaced with a live chat that's difficult to locate and seeming staffed by agents that are either untrained, unsuitable or - more likely - required to perform so many live chats simultaneously that they are simply unable to focus properly on each one. I have had the misfortune to have to use chat multiple times over recent weeks and the service is slow and generally abysmal.

I'm very unhappy that this development (if you couldn't tell).