FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express (USA) replaces Email (SM) with Chat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1490907-american-express-usa-replaces-email-sm-chat.html)

SusanDK Sep 11, 2013 12:17 am

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009 (Post 21424104)
I love it. I think, if implemented correctly, this will be a good feature. Netflix has not had email for a while now, just live chat. If employees are trained correctly, empowered to make decisions, there is a good escalation workflow strategy in place, this can be a home run. Lots of 'ifs', but long term this is the way to go.

I haven't noticed this about Netflix, but then have not had a reason to contact their customer service. I would venture a guess that people's Netflix issues are far less sensitive and complex than issues one needs to contact AmEx about.

Happy Sep 11, 2013 11:29 am

Go back to calling and on survey comment put down request to bring SM back!

I ended up using phone calls for now and I voiced my disappointments to the reps based at Salt Lake City. On each and every Survey email AMEX sent, I wrote my disappointment and request to have the SM function back as one of the options.

We customer can choose which option better suit our needs at the time we need to contact AMEX to clarify something / resolve an issue.

barelyelite Sep 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Secure Message Center Not Working?

I haven't been able to send a secure message to Amex for the past couple days. Am I missing something, or are others experiencing the same thing?

ktremor Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Secure Messaging was discontinued at I believe the end of last month.

It was replaced with secured chat which is supposed to pop up from my experience. My experience with the chat is awful as the chat reps have no power to do anything.

It is better to call now.

barelyelite Sep 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by ktremor (Post 21454675)
Secure Messaging was discontinued at I believe the end of last month.

It was replaced with secured chat which is supposed to pop up from my experience. My experience with the chat is awful as the chat reps have no power to do anything.

It is better to call now.

Thanks, guess I missed the memo.

wagon297 Sep 17, 2013 10:31 am

I was using chat line to cancel 3 Amex card yesterday and the process was easy, each took less than 5 minutes. the only thing i don't like is Chat line is base in India or somewhere......it's always offline. I live in East Coast and it isn't online until 4pm eastern time.....

ktremor Sep 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by wagon297 (Post 21459882)
I was using chat line to cancel 3 Amex card yesterday and the process was easy, each took less than 5 minutes. the only thing i don't like is Chat line is base in India or somewhere......it's always offline. I live in East Coast and it isn't online until 4pm eastern time.....

I have found it is very hit or miss when the chat icon pops up which is very inconvienient. I wished they brought back secure message.

Polo2883 Sep 17, 2013 3:58 pm

I just used the chat to order an EMV PRG card and it worked great.

smedleyb Sep 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Used secure chat to cancel couple cards (mine, wife's) last week. Worked fine. No issues. Request to cancel was instantly honored. Whole process took less than 5 minutes each time.

CabinCaptive Sep 18, 2013 10:40 am

Anyone who has cancelled by chat -- have you received any retention offers?

metoo Sep 22, 2013 8:32 pm

no secure message function

I didn't receive my 3x bonus for my Airline ticket using AMEX BRG card so I tried to secure message. Couldn't find it for the longest time. Realized you can't do it anymore so I tried the online chat. You click on "chat" , receive a 5 digit PIN to use for linking the conversation with CSR. That didn't work. I tried twice and waited over 10 minutes for CSR.

mia Sep 26, 2013 8:38 am

:td: Thirty minute session during which I had to educate the agent about the features of the product. (No, those are the pending base points, I am asking about bonus points for purchasing airfare. No, I did not book through americanexpress.com/travel, I am asking about a standard feature of the card). Only to be told to wait "another billing cycle" for the bonus to post. :td:

whizbee Sep 27, 2013 9:22 am

Super frustrating experience. Live chat should supplement email, not replace it. I used to send a quick 2 minute message because I didn't want to spend 15-20 going back and forth on the phone. Now I have to spend a half hour on live chat!

SusanDK Sep 27, 2013 9:44 am

There used to be an AmEx rep who posted to FT, albeit rarely. Let's hope our comments here are seen and passed along. This is *not* saving AmEx time and money, if that's what they were hoping to achieve. On the contrary, it is infuriating customers.

SanDiego1K Sep 27, 2013 10:36 am

I am voicing my displeasure with this change in hopes that someone at AMEX with the power to change it is reading FT. I did not realize that this was a change, and spent considerable time trying to force an email. After all, there was an email icon at the top of the page. I liked email for the reasons stated above. I could send a message from my husband's AMEX account on his behalf and get problems sorted for him. AMEX won't talk to me by phone, even though we have gone thru all the steps to make me an admin on his account.

Very frustrating downgrade in service.