FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express (USA) replaces Email (SM) with Chat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1490907-american-express-usa-replaces-email-sm-chat.html)

rrgg Oct 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Please AMEX, bring back email customer support. I prefer spending 1 minute typing a question and waiting for a thorough accurate response the next day.

I know you want to be "hip" and eliminate email for instant-everything, but I had another poor experience today via phone. Your website also invited me to chat, but then was told chat is unavailable. So that was no help either. Chat is time consuming.

84fiero Oct 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by ktremor (Post 21546574)
Is the chat supposed to be available 24/7?

My experience is that the chat button only pops up very randomly. It would be nice if they had a dedicated area where the chat button is.

The lack of email function is bad enough, but the fact it only comes up at random is utterly ridiculous. The other day I waited about 20 minutes (playing around trying to force it to come up) before it finally initiated.

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark (Post 21643517)
Waited over a half hour for a chat agent to become available. NOT AT ALL happy I'm being asked to provide personal information via a service that I can't verify for myself - there's a lock saying 'secure connection' but I notice the chat window stays open when I'm not logged into my account.

No way I'm using this. Thanks for the thoughts on letting them know how awful it is!

I noticed that as well, when my account auto-logged out after so much time, and the chat window was still up and running. Maybe the chat window is still secure, I'm not smart enough to know the software inner works - but it doesn't instill confidence.

Overall I'm very disappointed and frustrated that Amex has taken away the email option and replaced it entirely with this chat function. It's tacky for a supposedly premium product. I prefer to have an actual email that I can easily print out and document the entire email chain if need be.

Offer chat as an alternative alongside email, and if some people want to chat, they may do so; others who don't may email.

deant Oct 29, 2013 10:51 am

I can't even get the chat button to come up. At least with a SM you could do it right away and not HOPE that you could someday get a chat session.

CabinCaptive Nov 4, 2013 10:43 am

Does anyone have a way of consistently forcing the chat window to open? I've been unable to chat with Amex, and cannot call. Terribly frustrating.

MNSWEEps Nov 4, 2013 10:59 am

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive (Post 21725069)
Does anyone have a way of consistently forcing the chat window to open? I've been unable to chat with Amex, and cannot call. Terribly frustrating.

same here...very frustrating....

neuro0 Nov 9, 2013 7:50 am

Try put in "online chart" in the search box on the upper right corner. It brings up the chart windows for me few times.

Happy Nov 9, 2013 2:04 pm

Spent 20 min with an online chat rep on why a confirmation email was not generated on a card enrolled in a statement credit offer.

Despite given the rep the correct card (HHonor) and the last 5 digits of the card, as well as the details of the promo, the rep read the BRG card and claimed statement credit already posted. The BRG had a statement credit but for a completely different amount from a different deal.

Took another 10 min for him to get it straight. All the while he babbled with the "I will help you with the same." It is so strange to read him ending each and every line using the words "with the same."

Truly incompetent chat rep. In the survey I rated it very poorly and the reason on why not recommend AMEX to a friend because the downhill path it is taken in customer service, especially taking away the SM function to save cost. :rolleyes:

hiltonlondon2009 Nov 9, 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 21424127)
I haven't noticed this about Netflix, but then have not had a reason to contact their customer service. I would venture a guess that people's Netflix issues are far less sensitive and complex than issues one needs to contact AmEx about.

Whoa, whoa, buddy. Don't make assumptions. I've had to couple to NFLX plenty of times about their decision to pull the Original Sherlock Holmes show :)

Maz67 Nov 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Is there a secret for getting the chat to open?

maxim730 Nov 12, 2013 5:57 pm

It showed up once.. then they said the primary acct holder has to start the chat.. sigh. Signed on with primary account.. no chat option now. CSR said chat options appear in PAYMENTS and CARD REPLACEMENTS. Still can't find it. Awful.

maxim730 Nov 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by maxim730 (Post 21774477)
It showed up once.. then they said the primary acct holder has to start the chat.. sigh. Signed on with primary account.. no chat option now. CSR said chat options appear in PAYMENTS and CARD REPLACEMENTS. Still can't find it. Awful.

WOW! just saw the option. Stayed on PAYMENTS page for 5 mins.. CHAT OPTION appeared (top right next to the telephone and social icons)

lebowski2222 Nov 14, 2013 9:18 am

Why don't they just have a hard link somewhere in contact us. I spent the last hour trying to look for the chat now icon

rrgg Nov 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by lebowski2222 (Post 21784064)
Why don't they just have a hard link somewhere in contact us. I spent the last hour trying to look for the chat now icon

The stated reason they gave me is that chat is in beta or limited rollout.

bobert24 Nov 25, 2013 2:02 pm

And obviously, whenever something is in beta or limited rollout, the first step is to remove all traces of the previous (working) system - in this case, SM. Amex, you really screwed up on this one.

And it gets even better - I was looking at reports from other people with the same problem. The CSRs on Amex's website offered to help one person, but could only contact her directly if she tweeted at them (yes, this apparently is real life). This poor old woman had to create a twitter just so she could talk to an Amex rep. Way to stay modern and current at the expense of any kind of customer service, Amex.

Centurion Nov 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Ughhhhhhhhh

Every card shows 1 Message from Amex showing but no way to read. I click on envelope showing one message and I am taken to another amex page that is not messaging.