Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted 50-75-100k MR USA Platinum offers going around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted 50-75-100k MR USA Platinum offers going around

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 12:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by traveler9020
Getting the Ameriprise one year and the standard offer the next means you'll pay 1 annual fee.

Getting the 100K offer one year and renewing the next year means that you will pay 2 annual fees.
There is a third option. Take the 100k offer now. Cancel in 2016. Then apply for the Ameriprise card. This is prudent because the 100k offer is always targeted, and may not be available to you next year, but the first year fee waiver is the standard offer for the Ameriprise card.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:17 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

^

Plus, $/MR isn't the only way to look at things. I need about 250 - 300k MR points for a trip and a 25k offer just isn't going to get me there....turning down a 100k targeted offer is insanity.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is a third option. Take the 100k offer now. Cancel in 2016. Then apply for the Ameriprise card. This is prudent because the 100k offer is always targeted, and may not be available to you next year, but the first year fee waiver is the standard offer for the Ameriprise card.
Yeah, I was actually targeted for the 100K offer and just got approved. Who knows when it'll come again for me.

I can always cancel by the end of the year. The initial rewards are great, but the on-going rewards after the first year isn't so great (unlike Barclays and other cards, etc).
Old May 1, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzen

But then you have to pay AF and why 40k versus 100k for the regular targeted offer?

Your math doesn't make sense dude.

If you think it is better for you that is great but don't use shady math to try to proof it is better for everyone

OK, let's try a little simple addition then;

Getting the Ameriprise one year and the standard offer the next means you'll pay 1 annual fee.

Getting the 100K offer one year and renewing the next year means that you will pay 2 annual fees.

2 annual fees is more than one annual fee. Does that make sense to you? If not just keep repeating, "two is more than one...two is more than one".

Ok, you're doing good so let's move on and see what 1 or 2 annual fees will get us.

The Ameriprise gets us 25K MR for year one. For year two, do not renew the ameriprise and just apply for the standard offer. This gets you 40K MR for year two. 25K + 40K = 65K, did I lose you? 25K from the first year and 40K the second will give you 65K MR (for the cost of just one annual fee).

Key point: You're getting 65K MR for the cost of one annual fee. Got it?

If you're keeping up, comparing the targeted 100K offer over the same time period we used above should be easy for you. Youre getting 100K MR for the cost of 2 annual fees. You're paying the fee for the first and second years.

Key point 2: You're getting 100K MR for the cost of 2 annual fees.

Does it make sense to you now?

By paying a second annual fee, you're paying for the differnce between the two options. For this we use something called "subtraction". We use the complex calculation, 100K - 65K = 35K to find our answer. The complex mathematical term for the 35K derived from our calculation is the "difference"

So your'e paying the additional annual fee for the "difference" between the two options, which is 35K MR.

You're right, "math is easy".

And who renews for a second year?
Renewal would be ( after 100k offer) the Ameriprise or the Gold or .....

Just because your little brain thinks your scenario ( BTW you forgot to include the $200 airline fees per calendar year) is the only valid one. How many people churning cards keep the card for a second year? Others keep it for 20 years.

And is the Ameriprise considered a different product? You 100% sure about that?

Your math makes a it "simple" but you ignore parameter etc. are you a politician?
Old May 1, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jlars77

Plus, $/MR isn't the only way to look at things. I need about 250 - 300k MR points for a trip and a 25k offer just isn't going to get me there....turning down a 100k targeted offer is insanity.
Correct!
Old May 1, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia
That would be even better.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:28 pm

^

I'm not suggesting that you should turn down the 100K offer. My little math lesson was in response to an earlier post by another member.

Everyone's needs are different and the most beneficial option will vary based on individual circumstances. Since you're in need of 250K-300K, taking the offer now, will probably be the way to go. For others, who don't have your immediate need, plan to hold the card for a short time and/or need to add an AU, the 100K offer may not be the way to go. In other words, what's "insane" for one person may be the optimal solution for another. I also agree that cost ($/MR) is not the only factor to consider. However, before I'd choose any option, I'd take the prudent step of figuring out how much it's going to cost me.

p.s. The third option posted by "MiA" makes the most sense.

Last edited by traveler9020; May 1, 2015 at 2:34 pm
Old May 1, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen View Post

I'm not sure what you're asking. Dude, I can't make this any simpler than I have. If you still don't understand, I can't help you.

Just because your little brain thinks your scenario ( BTW you forgot to include the $200 airline fees per calendar year) is the only valid one. How many people churning cards keep the card for a second year? Others keep it for 20 years.

You were having trouble following the math, so I used a simple example to step you through a comparative analysis. I omitted the $200 airline credit because I didn't want to confuse you. There were several other factors that I didn't include. I figured that if I kept it down to two addition problems and two subtraction problems, you'd be able to keep up. Did I lose you?

No, but the folks over on the Ameriprise thread are.

Your math makes a it "simple" but you ignore parameter etc. are you a politician?

Are you talking about that $200 airline credit again? Ok, I really wanted to stay away from the advance mathematical concepts, but since you just won't let it go, I'll break it down for you.[/quote]

The $200 airline credit is the same for both products. We can represent this using an advanced mathematical construct called a "constant". In other words "it's the same damn thing". If you're still not convinced, we can use the subtraction technique from the previous lesson to form the mathematical proof. $200-$200= $0. Got it?

Last edited by traveler9020; May 1, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Old May 1, 2015, 4:36 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

p.s. The third option posted by "MiA" makes the most sense.
My thumbs up was for MiA

And it is insanity to take the Ameriprise version over the 100k offer since this card is good for nothing else but MR accumulation unless you LIVE at a Centurion lounge!
Old May 1, 2015, 5:02 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking. Dude, I can't make this any simpler than I have. If you still don't understand, I can't help you.

You were having trouble following the math, so I used a simple example to step you through a comparative analysis. I omitted the $200 airline credit because I didn't want to confuse you. There were several other factors that I didn't include. I figured that if I kept it down to two addition problems and two subtraction problems, you'd be able to keep up. Did I lose you?

Are you talking about that $200 airline credit again? Ok, I really wanted to stay away from the advance mathematical concepts, but since you just won't let it go, I'll break it down for you.
The $200 airline credit is the same for both products. We can represent this using an advanced mathematical construct called a "constant". In other words "it's the same damn thing". If you're still not convinced, we can use the subtraction technique from the previous lesson to form the mathematical proof. $200-$200= $0. Got it?[/QUOTE]

Lol, did you major in math in college? And yes, I understood what you were saying.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by wildchartermage
Quote:

Are you talking about that $200 airline credit again? Ok, I really wanted to stay away from the advance mathematical concepts, but since you just won't let it go, I'll break it down for you.

The $200 airline credit is the same for both products. We can represent this using an advanced mathematical construct called a "constant". In other words "it's the same damn thing". If you're still not convinced, we can use the subtraction technique from the previous lesson to form the mathematical proof. $200-$200= $0. Got it?
Lol, did you major in math in college? And yes, I understood what you were saying.[/QUOTE]

The $200 airline credit is not the same if you renew a Platinum card or change from one product to another.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:24 pm

The $200 airline credit is the same for both products. We can represent this using an advanced mathematical construct called a "constant". In other words "it's the same damn thing". If you're still not convinced, we can use the subtraction technique from the previous lesson to form the mathematical proof. $200-$200= $0. Got it?[/QUOTE]

A boy are you clever if you ever make it out of your parents basement you might become a productive member of society
BTW actuarial principles are my bread and butter but you make no sense as you omit factors and them make an oversimplified approach way too complicated
BTW2 #### you too
Old May 1, 2015, 5:51 pm

My thumbs up was for MiA

And it is insanity to take the Ameriprise version over the 100k offer since this card is good for nothing else but MR accumulation unless you LIVE at a Centurion lounge!
The example that MiA gave is not taking one offer over the other, it's taking both. There is no absolute answer as to what is the best way because it's dependent on one's individual situation. In your case, you have a defined goal you're trying to obtain so passing up the 100K offer would be "insane".

On the other hand, there are others (lots of them), that just want to be approved for an Amex Plat. They may like the status they feel the product brings or it may give them the feeling that they have "arrived". For them, the MR bonus is of minimal value, they just want the card. Either offer would suit them just fine.

Some, have heard about the card but just aren't sure that the Plat is the product for them. They may want to take it for a test drive and compare it against another product for a year before they decide. If they have a significant number of miles in other awards programs, 100K MR may not be a driving incentive for them. Being able to sample the product for a year for free might be the appeal that gets them to apply.

In other words, what's "insane" for one, may be the optimal solution for another.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
A boy are you clever if you ever make it out of your parents basement you might become a productive member of society
BTW actuarial principles are my bread and butter but you make no sense as you omit factors and them make an oversimplified approach way too complicated
BTW2 #### you too
OK, I'll own up to my snarky posts, but remember, you started it.

As far as omitting factors, exactly what are you referring to? Other than the MR and annual fee, are there other differences between the two offers?

Be nice.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: AA, SPG
I've been waiting for some sort of public or targeted offer for the Platinum for over a year now. Wondering if one will ever come or if I should just pull the trigger at the public 40k signup bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.