Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is this guy in Bogota only eating hamburgers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Why is this guy in Bogota only eating hamburgers?

We've had some fraudulent activity the past few days on our Hilton Amex card. AMEX is supposedly taking care of it, but new charges are popping up every day, all in Bogota, mostly at fast food restaurants and gas stations. If I were going to steal a credit card I'd buy something good before they caught me. But this guy is just eating hamburgers (lots of them. some sushi.) I guess I shouldn't complain but it's annoying and funny at the same time. Amex seems particularly unperturbed.

I don't know much about credit card fraud, my husband never lost his card, had it in his possession the whole time, so did this guy just randomly try numbers until he hit one that worked? (btw husband was overnighted a new card with a new number).
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:13 pm

New charges every day? I always got a new number immediately after fraudulent activity.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Yesterday we noticed charges posted on the 14th. Called right away, new card overnighted. Today there were more charges posted on the 15th. Called again.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:47 pm

Crooks and Thieves like fast food joints to test card before they try and rip off the credit/charge card company for something big where their is more scrutinization of the customer from drivers license or other ID, Security video, etc. A thief is not going to make a fake ID if the card is number is no good, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Crooks and Thieves like fast food joints to test card before they try and rip off the credit/charge card company for something big where their is more scrutinization of the customer from drivers license or other ID, Security video, etc. A thief is not going to make a fake ID if the card is number is no good, etc.
I always thought that while they might test a small purchase first they wouldn't waste any time before running the card up. Guess no two crooks are alike.

They can has cheezburgers. Sorry, had to say that.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:18 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
I'll gladly pay you back tomorrow for a hamburger you buy me today.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I guess he could also be called the Hamburglar.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hamburglar! HA! Must be the new cartel.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't know much about credit card fraud, my husband never lost his card, had it in his possession the whole time, so did this guy just randomly try numbers until he hit one that worked? (btw husband was overnighted a new card with a new number).
Eujeanie make sure you check the accounts of all your cards, even ones you don't currently use. I'd also pull yours and your husband's credit reports in about a month and maybe monitor it for a little while after that. Identity thieves are often quite crafty, and it'd be good to be on alert for a little while. Hopefully this is an isolated incident with the card. Those charges posting after you first called were likely made before. Some charges take a day or two to post.

You didn't mention, but, has your husband been to Columbia, South America, or Central America recently? Do you all take care when making online purchase? Have you ever (snail) mailed or emailed your credit card info to anyone?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

No to all the above questions.

Last time my husband used his card was in March at our local Costco. I've used mine more frequently (same account, different last 5 digits) and it's fine.

I've checked all our frequently used cards, good idea to check old ones, too.

All 15 or so charges with their corresponding foreign transaction fees have now been reversed, and no new charges in the last couple of days, so hopefully this is over.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
All 15 or so charges with their corresponding foreign transaction fees have now been reversed, and no new charges in the last couple of days, so hopefully this is over.
Good to hear, Eujeanie. Hopefully this is over. The jokes are good and all, and it was humorous how he used the card, but ID theft is never fun.

I do wonder how he would have gotten the number. Also, how do they then use the numbers? Do they create a dummy card somehow? We really should be moving more swiftly to those intelligent chips.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:03 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by carpooltunnel
I do wonder how he would have gotten the number.
Numbers are compromised in bulk. I frequently delete quarantined posts offering to sell card numbers and security codes in multiples of a thousand. The card numbers can surface months after the security breach, and fabricating fake cards is evidently not very difficult. There is no necessary connection between the location where a card is fraudulently used and where the compromise occurred.

Last edited by mia; Apr 19, 2013 at 1:10 pm
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Numbers are compromised in bulk. I frequently delete quarantined posts offering to sell card numbers and security codes in multiples of a thousand. The card numbers can surface months after the security breach, and fabricating fake cards is evidently not very difficult. There is no necessary connection between the location where a card is fraudulently used and where the compromise occurred.
Thanks mia. Appalling that you have to moderate for such things on the forums. I feel like you're under-appreciated around these parts.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:31 pm

This NPR story from a few years ago is a real fascinating listen. It details how card numbers get stolen and sold, and what the FBI does to fight the problem:

NPR story called "How To Buy a Stolen Credit Card"
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

I still don't understand any of it.

But after over 60 years on this earth, having so many credit cards over the years, and this being the first time this has ever happened, I think we're pretty lucky.

Oh, there was the time our account was frozen because we bought four (4) transit tickets (I think about $2.50 for each ticket) in Portland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.