Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I've had no issue getting the $200 credit issued by phone.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
regarding what happens when one books a hotel thru PTS

is the credit applied before even the charge goes thru? for example what happens if the hotel booking isnt a prepaid one, where the charge isnt until later? does PTS charge the non prepaid bookings right away + give $200 credit, or give $200 right away, charge later, or do both of them later when checking in & paying?

i found a booking on SPG.com thats a prepaid price, for 30% less than PTS quote. oddly the quote isnt available on expedia either (maybe thats why PTS couldnt see that rate). thus i was wondering what alternatives i had.

edit: sorry forgot to say its for Amex Canada
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Cerenity
regarding what happens when one books a hotel thru PTS

is the credit applied before even the charge goes thru? for example what happens if the hotel booking isnt a prepaid one, where the charge isnt until later? does PTS charge the non prepaid bookings right away + give $200 credit, or give $200 right away, charge later, or do both of them later when checking in & paying?

i found a booking on SPG.com thats a prepaid price, for 30% less than PTS quote. oddly the quote isnt available on expedia either (maybe thats why PTS couldnt see that rate). thus i was wondering what alternatives i had.

edit: sorry forgot to say its for Amex Canada
PTS credits immediately, irrespective of when (or whether) the hotel charges. Which uh, opens up various possibilities.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
PTS credits immediately, irrespective of when (or whether) the hotel charges. Which uh, opens up various possibilities.
sort of what i was getting at. i didnt want to come out and say it directly :P
thanks for the information. that is what i was curious about, and its good to know how it works

also, i just found the lower rate on orbitz, so im going to try to call PTS again and hopefully they will do the lower rate, save me some trouble

edit: they couldnt match orbitz price. the best they had is now $159 US or something, so i just booked and will deal with possibilities once things post to my account :P

Last edited by Cerenity; Mar 6, 2014 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:24 pm

I've used the $200 travel credit a few times now between myself and my husband, here are a couple of things that may be helpful

- Regarding lower rates elsewhere. My husband called Amex to book Fairmont Southampton after seeing a promotional rate on Fairmont's own website for $299. The Amex agent initially quoted him $324, and when he informed the agent of the $299 rate, the agent did some digging and had a 3-way conversation between Fairmont's agent, my husband and Amex agent. It was quite helpful because only then we were told that the Fairmont upgrade certificate would not apply to the $299 room (so if I had done it online without calling, I wouldn't have been able to use the upgrade certificate from my Fairmont membership)

So technically, they can do some digging to match the rates. But sometimes you need to ask.

- Regarding using the credit for a hotel, then cancelling the hotel. I booked a hotel in London a while back and used my 2014 $200 credit (for those of you that haven't used it in the past, it's a credit applied to your statement, nothing to do with the actual hotel charge). I ended up cancelling it for other reasons and the credit stayed on my statement. So technically speaking, you can call and make some kind of hotel reservation and use the credit, then cancel - if you really don't know how to use the $200 credit. Having said that, this is the first time I've done that and not intentionally. I usually find a way to use the $200 credit.. (it's not that hard really)
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ayz75
I've used the $200 travel credit a few times now between myself and my husband, here are a couple of things that may be helpful

- Regarding lower rates elsewhere. My husband called Amex to book Fairmont Southampton after seeing a promotional rate on Fairmont's own website for $299. The Amex agent initially quoted him $324, and when he informed the agent of the $299 rate, the agent did some digging and had a 3-way conversation between Fairmont's agent, my husband and Amex agent. It was quite helpful because only then we were told that the Fairmont upgrade certificate would not apply to the $299 room (so if I had done it online without calling, I wouldn't have been able to use the upgrade certificate from my Fairmont membership)

So technically, they can do some digging to match the rates. But sometimes you need to ask.

- Regarding using the credit for a hotel, then cancelling the hotel. I booked a hotel in London a while back and used my 2014 $200 credit (for those of you that haven't used it in the past, it's a credit applied to your statement, nothing to do with the actual hotel charge). I ended up cancelling it for other reasons and the credit stayed on my statement. So technically speaking, you can call and make some kind of hotel reservation and use the credit, then cancel - if you really don't know how to use the $200 credit. Having said that, this is the first time I've done that and not intentionally. I usually find a way to use the $200 credit.. (it's not that hard really)
good to know... thanks.^
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Can I book a corporate rate with Fairmont through the Amex PTS?

I would want to use my $200 credit, otherwise I wouldn't even bother to call and just book myself.

(Note: this is for future travel so I'm asking here instead of calling...)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
Can I book a corporate rate with Fairmont through the Amex PTS?

I would want to use my $200 credit, otherwise I wouldn't even bother to call and just book myself.

(Note: this is for future travel so I'm asking here instead of calling...)
no, i don't think so as i'm not sure if amex pts can book those rates
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:05 pm
alc

I was be able to book corp rate for Hertz and that is because I have those CDP codes saved in my Hertz online user profile. But I assumed you are referring to Hotel booking, my suggestion is book it with them and then change it online yourself (if possible) or call up the hotel / chain-reservation to change it afterward.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by alc
I was be able to book corp rate for Hertz and that is because I have those CDP codes saved in my Hertz online user profile. But I assumed you are referring to Hotel booking, my suggestion is book it with them and then change it online yourself (if possible) or call up the hotel / chain-reservation to change it afterward.
Thats a good idea, just book the BAR with Amex and then when I get there, or by phone call earlier, apply my corporate rate.

Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:08 pm
alc

Thats a good idea, just book the BAR with Amex and then when I get there, or by phone call earlier, apply my corporate rate.

Thanks
i would not wait until you get their. I would update it as soon as you hang up the phone with AMEX. main reason, rate change, and sometimes it will be higher on the day of, even with Corp rate.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by alc
i would not wait until you get their. I would update it as soon as you hang up the phone with AMEX. main reason, rate change, and sometimes it will be higher on the day of, even with Corp rate.
So with booking with Amex Travel, do I have to prepay all up front?

Call the hotel with the CORP rate and they would adjust the rate, and my CC would get the difference back?

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:12 am
alc

So with booking with Amex Travel, do I have to prepay all up front?

Call the hotel with the CORP rate and they would adjust the rate, and my CC would get the difference back?

Thanks
No prepay up front. AMEX PTS is book the room for you, unless you booked a prepaid rate of course.

Now that you have a reservation, you can try to change it online (if the hotel web site have that feature) or do call in and mentioned the Corp Rate/Code that you have and they will change the rate.

In general, I found (from the 2 years that I hold the card) the credits of $200 will put into your account right away, hence how you change the reservation to be above or below $200, it doesn't seem to matter any more.

Good Luck
Old May 6, 2014, 6:55 am

Anyone have experience using the $200 credit for airbnb?
Old May 6, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I managed to use my $200 for a B&B booking near Peterborough. The PTS agent couldn't find the place on her booking screens. She found the website and I told her it was available on hotels.com, not a direct booking like a lot of small B&B's. She called and emailed them while I was on hold (left a voice mail). She took my # and called back a few hours later and it's booked! All told it will cost $75 after the travel credit. Very nice and easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.