Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Service charge to use Amex in Crowne Plaza Birmingham [UK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Birmingham UK yesterday and was told on checking out that there's a £3.50 service charge to pay with Amex but no charge for other cards. I've stayed there before without this policy and I've never had it at any other hotel. Is this an IC new policy or just local? I'll post this in the IC forum as well.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Tell amex. They will refund the charge, and will deal with the property directly as they should not be doing that.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Is that correct? I don't recall ever being charged a fee to use Amex at a hotel, but am regularly charged by airlines. How is it ok for airlines to charge but not a hotel?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doug_1970
Is that correct? I don't recall ever being charged a fee to use Amex at a hotel, but am regularly charged by airlines. How is it ok for airlines to charge but not a hotel?
The airlines that do charge, charge for all credit cards. This hotel is just charging for Amex cards, that is against Amex's rules.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:48 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
You have a pretty strong case, IMO, if you booked via an IHG website. That tells you the price you will pay, and unless it states a possible surcharge for amex on the booking, I don't think you need to pay it. Even more rock solid if you booked a pre-paid rate and paid/guaranteed it with an Amex
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I had the same issue at this hotel last October. It was only to settle my bar bill as it was a rewards night stay so I ended up paying cash.

Thought it was strange at the time, particularly in this brand of hotel.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Executive club, Membership rewards, Diners Club, El Al Matmid.
Contact Amex. They'll inform merchant services and take care of the matter.

I once reported my local Mcdonalds for refusing my card. Ended up with a panic call from the franchise owner and £10 to spend :P
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by reclusive46
The airlines that do charge, charge for all credit cards. This hotel is just charging for Amex cards, that is against Amex's rules.
Good point - I didn't think of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.