Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

When does the clock start to meet spend requirements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:24 am
Original Poster

To receive Amex signup bonus you must spend $X within so many months. What date does Amex consider the start date, when you are approved for the card or when you activate the card?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Thumbs down

Date of activation - 100% certain about this.

For instance, if you apply for and receive an Amex Plat card, even though the annual fee is $450, you will never be charged this unless you activate the card.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:49 am
Original Poster

If it is date of activiation then how long do you have to activiate the card after approval. I'm sure Amex does not want you to hold on activiating a card for 6 months and still get the same sign up bonus as when you were approved for the card.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Not sure how long you have but I have had cards sit in my mailbox for over a month before I active them.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
To receive Amex signup bonus you must spend $X within so many months. What date does Amex consider the start date, when you are approved for the card or when you activate the card?
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Date of activation - 100% certain about this.

For instance, if you apply for and receive an Amex Plat card, even though the annual fee is $450, you will never be charged this unless you activate the card.
I would beg to differ with BostonFlyer - I applied for the BAPP card on 4/01 and made the first payment on 10/01. On the side bar of my account, it says that I have spent Łxx and still have a further Łxx to go before I reach the 241 target of Ł10k.

This would imply that the target spend time is started on application/approval and not activation when you are in receipt of the card. This was the same with my AmEx Gold charge card for the 20k MR bonus - date of application not approval.

EDIT: But these are both UK cards and you are US - perhaps that makes a difference?

Last edited by MrMutton; Jan 13, 2013 at 7:44 am Reason: Location
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by MrMutton
I would beg to differ with BostonFlyer - I applied for the BAPP card on 4/01 and made the first payment on 10/01. On the side bar of my account, it says that I have spent Łxx and still have a further Łxx to go before I reach the 241 target of Ł10k.

This would imply that the target spend time is started on application/approval and not activation when you are in receipt of the card. This was the same with my AmEx Gold charge card for the 20k MR bonus - date of application not approval.

EDIT: But these are both UK cards and you are US - perhaps that makes a difference?
It's settled then: One person is "100% sure" the target-spending time starts upon card activation and one person is sure that's not right and it starts upon card approval. Gotta love FT.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by brasov02
It's settled then: One person is "100% sure" the target-spending time starts upon card activation and one person is sure that's not right and it starts upon card approval. Gotta love FT.
^
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
A phone call to the # on the back of the card? Easy-squeasy.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by brasov02
There is a lot of misinformation, and out right guessing, isn't there?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
It is almost always date of approval, for most issuers.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:22 pm

I've asked CSR about this in the past and was told that the clock starts on the date the card was approved.

If in doubt, just call CSR and ask them when spend must be completed. Then subtract a week just to be safe.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by philemer
There is a lot of misinformation, and out right guessing, isn't there?
Definitely. But the good thing about FT is, if you give a question enough time, the creme of quality information will ultimately rise to the top and the misinformation will inevitably sink thanks to the overwhelming numbers of helpful members here. Just requires a little patience sometimes.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Just confirmed on the phone while getting my PRG approved - date of approval i.e. today onwards for me. Tick tock!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Okay, here is another twist on this.

If one was approved say 1/8, is it 3/8 that one has till, which is really only 2 months 1/8-2/8-3/8, is only two months.

or is it till 4/8 or so that one would have till to qualify for the spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.